Vehicle Yaw Control Using an Active Front Steering System with Measurements of Lateral Tire Forces
Nobutaka Wada*, Akihiro Takahashi**, Masami Saeki**,
and Masaharu Nishimura*
*Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tottori University, 4-101 Koyama-Minami, Tottori 680-8552, Japan
**Dept. of Mechanical System Engineering, Hiroshima University, 1-4-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima, Hiroshima 739-8527, Japan
We have proposed a design method of an active front wheel steering controller that guarantees closed-loop stability under lateral tire force saturation. The controller uses lateral tire force information to counteract destabilization caused by such saturation. The controller suppresses slip angle magnitude while lateral tire force is saturated. Numerical simulation results confirmed the effectiveness of the proposed method.
-  P. Falcone, F. Borrelli, H. E. Tseng, J. Asgari, and D. Hrovat, “Linear time-varying model predictive control and its application to active steering systems: Stability analysis and experimental validation,” Int. J. Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol.18, pp. 862-875, 2008.
-  T. Fukao, K. Mori, H. Inoue, S. Miyasaka, and N. Adachi, “Active Steering and Active Brake Systems Based on Model Reference Adaptive Nonlinear Control,” SICE 4th Annual Conf. on Control Systems, pp. 589-594, 2004.
-  S. Horiuchi, R. Hirao, K. Okada, and S. Nohtomi, “Optimal Steering and Braking Control in Emergency Obstacle Avoidance,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C, Vol.70, No.698, pp. 2948-2953, 2004.
-  M. Nagai, S. Yamanaka, and Y. Hirano, “Integrated Control of Active Rear Wheel Steering and Yaw Moment Control Using Braking Force,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers C, Vol.64, No.622, pp. 2132-2139, 1988.
-  E. Ono, S. Hosoe, H. D. Tuan, and S. Doi, “Bifurcation in Vehicle Dynamics and Robust Front Wheel Steering Control,” IEEE Trans. Control Systems Technology, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 412-420, 1998.
-  N. Wada and M. Saeki, “Anti-windup Control of Systems with In-put Saturation,” Systems, Control and Information, Vol.46, No.2, pp. 84-90, 2002.
-  M. Abe, “Automotive Vehicle Dynamics: Theory and Applications,” Tokyo Denki University Press, 2008.
-  U. Kiencke and L. Nielsen, “Automotive Control Systems For Engine, Driveline, and Vehicle 2nd edition,” Springer, 2005.
-  I. Masubuchi, A. Ohara, and N. Suda, “LMI-based controller synthesis: A unified formulation and solution,” Int. J. Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol. 8, pp. 669-686, 1998.
-  S. Boyd, L. E. Ghaoui, E. Feron, and V. Balakrishnan, “Linear Matrix Inequalities in System and Control Theory,” SIAM, 1994.
-  J. M. Gomes da Silva, Jr. and S. Tarbouriech, “Anti-windup design with guaranteed regions of stability,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 106-111, 2005.
-  N. Wada, A. Takahashi, I. Masubuchi, and M. Saeki, “A Design Method of an Active Front Steering Controller Using Measurements of Lateral Tire Forces,” Proc. 11th JSME MoViC, pp. 41-46, 2009.
-  H. Hindi and S. Boyd, “Analysis of Linear Systems with Saturation using Convex Optimization,” Proc. of IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, pp. 903-908, 1998.
-  M. Johansson, “Piecewise Quadratic Estimates of Domains of Attraction for Linear Systems with Saturation,” Proc. of IFAC World Congress, 2002.
-  T. Sugie and K. Ueda, “Local Stability Analysis of Saturating Systems via Polynomial Programming,” Trans. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.42, No.7, pp. 758-764, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.