Identification of Contact Conditions by Active Force Sensing – Estimated Parameter Uncertainty and Experimental Verification –
Takayoshi Yamada*1, Akira Tanaka*2, Manabu Yamada*3,
Yasuyuki Funahashi*4, and Hidehiko Yamamoto*1
*1Department of Human and Information Systems, Faculty of Engineering, Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
*2MISUZU-Corp Co., Ltd, 1606 Wakasato, Nagano, Nagano 380-0922, Japan
*3Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso, Showa, Nagoya, Aichi 466-8555, Japan
*4Department of System Engineering of Human Body, Chukyo University, 101 Tokodachi, Kaizu, Toyota, Aichi 470-0393, Japan
Accomplishing assembly tasks using robots requires that contact conditions between grasped objects and environments be identified and controlled during task execution. We propose estimated parameter uncertainty of contact location and direction, discussing four contact types – point, soft-finger, line, and planar contact. We formulate a least-squares function (i.e., performance index) including contact location and direction. The uncertainty of estimates is derived using the rest error of minimized index. The effectiveness of our proposed method is demonstrated through experiments.
Yasuyuki Funahashi, and Hidehiko Yamamoto, “Identification of Contact Conditions by Active Force Sensing – Estimated Parameter Uncertainty and Experimental Verification –,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.23, No.1, pp. 44-52, 2011.
-  J. D. Shutter, H. Bruyninckx, S. Durte, J. D. Geeter, J. Kaptupitiya, S. Demey, and T. Lefebvre, “Estimating First-Order Geometric Parameters and Monitoring Contact Transitions during Force-Controlled Compliant Motion,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.18, No.12, pp. 1161-1184, 1999.
-  T. Lefebvre, H. Bruyninckx, and J. D. Schutter, “Polyhedral Contact Formation Identification for Autonomous Compliant Motion: Exact Nonlinear Bayesian Filtering,” IEEE Trans. on R. and A., Vol.21, No.1, pp. 124-129, 2005.
-  J. K. Salisbury, “Interpretation of Contact Geometries from Force Measurements,” Proc. of 1st Int. Symp. Robotics Research, pp. 565-577, 1983.
-  T. Tsujimura and T. Yabuta, “Object Detection by Tactile Sensing Method Employing Force/Torque Information,” IEEE Trans. on R. and A., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 444-450, 1989.
-  K. Kitagaki, T. Ogasawara, and T. Suehiro, “Contact State Detection by Force Sensing for Assembly Tasks,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Multisensor Fusion and Integration for Intelligent Systems, pp. 366-370, 1994.
-  A. Bicchi, “Intrinsic Contact Sensing for Soft Fingers,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA, pp. 968-973, 1990.
-  K. Murakami and T. Hasegawa, “Novel Fingertip Equipped with Soft Skin and Hard Nail for Dexterous Multi-fingered Robotic Manipulation,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA, pp. 708-713, 2003.
-  K. Murakami and T. Hasegawa, “Tactile Sensing of Edge Direction of an Object with a Soft Fingertip Contact,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA, pp. 240-247, 2006.
-  N. Mimura and Y. Funahashi, “Parameter Identification of Contact Conditions by Active Force Sensing,” Trans. of the JSME, Series C, Vol.60, No.579, pp. 3816-3821, 1994. (in Japanese)
-  T. Mouri, T. Yamada, N. Mimura, and Y. Funahashi, “Identification of Contact Conditions from Contaminated Data of Contact Moment,” Trans. of the JSME, Series C, Vol.66, No.648, pp. 2685-2692, 2000. (in Japanese)
-  T. Yamada, T. Mouri, A. Tanaka, N. Mimura, and Y. Funahashi, “Identification of Contact Conditions from Contact Force and Moment: Experimental Verification on Effective Sensing Strategy,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.21, No.2, pp. 236-244, 2009.
-  T. Yamada, T. Mouri, K. Shimosaka, N. Mimura, and Y. Funahashi, “Parameter Identification and Transition Detection of Contact Conditions of a Robot by Active Force Sensing,” Trans. of the JSME, Series C, Vol.74, No.747, pp. 103-110, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  R. Kikuuwe and T. Yoshikawa, “Robot Perception of Environment Impedance,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 103-108, 2003. (in Japanese)
-  T. Yamada, T. Mouri, N. Mimura, Y. Funahashi, and H. Yamamoto, “Identification of Contact Conditions by Active Force Sensing,” in Intelligent Systems for Knowledge Management, N. T. Nguyen and E. Szczerbicki (eds.), Springer, pp. 275-305, 2009.
-  K. Nagase and H. Mukai, “Contact Point Sensing by Force Sensor with Noise on Force/Moment Signals,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.27, No.10, pp. 82-90, 2009. (in Japanese)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.