Design for a 2-DOF Motion Platform
Ping-Lin Wu*, Yang-Hung Chang*, Chung-Shu Liao**,
and Wei-Hua Chieng*
*Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Chiao Tung University, 1001 Ta Hsueh Road, Hsinchu, Taiwan 30010, R.O.C.
**Develop Department, Injoy Motion Corporation, Datong St. 6-1, Tucheng City, Taipei County, Taiwan 236, R.O.C.
This study investigates the feasibility of adopting the 2-DOF motion platform design to combine optimal workspace and mechanical advantage, which is considered as important for low-cost simulators. A design method to optimize an objective function is presented. This method consolidates some major issues related to workspace volume, workspace symmetry, and actuator power requirements. Performance indices obtained from the inverse/forward kinematics are adopted within a global optimization procedure, GA, to determine the design spread-angle that improves the static and dynamic performance.
-  T. Yoshikawa, “Translational and rotational manipulability of robotic manipulators,” In: Presented at Proc. of the 1991, Int. Conf. Industrial Electronics, Control, and Instrumentation, 1991.
-  E. F. Fichter, “A Stewart Platform-Based Manipulator: General Theory and Practical Construction,” Int. J. of Robotics Reserve, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 157-182, 1986.
-  J.-O. Kim and P. K. Khosla, “Dexterity Measures for Design and Control of Manipulators,” in: Presented at Proc. of the IROS ‘91, IEEE/RSJ Int.Workshop on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Osaka, Japan, 1991.
-  J.-P. Merlet, “A Design Methodology for the Conception of Robot with parallel ArchiTecture,” Internal Report, INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, 1996.
-  F. Hao and J-P. Merlet, “Multi-criteria optimal design of parallel manipulators based on interval analysis,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.40, No.2, pp. 151-171, 2005.
-  J.-P. Merlet, “Designing a parallel manipulator for a specific workspace,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 545-556, 1997.
-  K. C. Gupta and B. Roth, “Design considerations for manipulator workspace,” J. of Mechanical Design – Trans. of the ASME, Vol.104, No.4, pp. 704-711, 1982.
-  C. Gosselin and J. Angeles, “The optimum kinematic design of a spherical three-degree-of-freedom parallel manipulator,” ASME J. of Mech. Transm. Autom. Des. Vol.111, No.2, pp. 202-207, 1989.
-  Q. Xu and Y. Li, “GA-based architecture optimization of a 3-PUU parallel manipulator for stiffness performance,” in: Presented at Proc. of the 6thWorld Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, 2006.
-  O. Ma and J. Angeles, “Optimum architecture design of platform manipulators,” in: Presented at Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1991.
-  C. Gosselin and J. Angeles, “A Global Performance Index for the Kinematic Optimization of Robot Manipulators,” J. of Mechanical Design – Trans. of the ASME, Vol.113, No.3, pp. 220-226, 1991.
-  O. Khatib and J. Burdick, “Optimization of dynamics in manipulator design: The operational space formulation,” The Int. J. of Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 90-98, 1987.
-  J. Ryu and J. Cha, “Volumetric error analysis and architecture optimization for accuracy of HexaSlide type parallel manipulators,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.38, No.3, pp. 227-240, 2003.
-  J. Angeles, “The design of isotropic manipulator architectures in the presence of redundancies,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 196-201, 1992.
-  C. A. Klein and B. E. Blaho, “Dexterity measures for the design and control of kinematically redundant manipulators,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 72-83, 1987.
-  R. V. Mayorga, B. Ressa, and A. K. C. Wong, “A kinematic design optimization of robot manipulators,” in: Presented at Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1992.
-  T. Yoshikawa, “Manipulability of robotic mechanisms,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.4, No.2, 1985.
-  J. K. Salisbury and J. J. Craig, “Articulated hands: Force control and kinematic issues,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 4-17, 1982.
-  L. W. Tsai and S. Joshi, “Kinematics analysis of 3-DOF position mechanisms for use in hybrid kinematic machines,” J. of Mechanical Design – Trans. of the ASME, Vol.124, No.2, pp. 245-253, 2002.
-  Y. Li and Q. Xu, “Kinematic analysis and dynamic control of a 3-PUU parallel manipulator for cardiopulmonary resuscitation,” in: Presented at Proc. of the 12th Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, 2005.
-  D. Zhang, Z. Xu, C. M. Mechefske, and F. Xi, “Optimum design of parallel kinematic toolheads with genetic algorithms,” Robotica, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 77-84, 2004.
-  R. C. Eberhart and Y. Shi, “Comparison between genetic algorithms and particle swarm optimization,” in: Presented at Proc. of the 7th Int. Conf. on Evolutionary Programming VII, 1998.
-  R. Boudreau and C. M, Gosselin, “The synthesis of planar parallel manipulators with a genetic algorithm,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol.121, No.4, pp. 533-537, 1999.
-  W. J. Yu, C. F. Chang, and W. H. Chieng, “Workspace and Dexterity Analyses of the delta Hexaglide platform,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 7-17, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2011 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.