Fuzzy Self-Tuning Precompensation PD Control with Gravity Compensation of 3 DOF Planar Robot Manipulators
Ahmed Foad Amer*, Elsayed Abdelhameed Sallam**,
and Wael Mohammed Elawady**
*Department of Electrical and Control Engineering, Arab Academy for Science and Technology, Egypt
**Department of Computers and Control Engineering, Tanta University, Egypt
Industrial robot control covers nonlinearity, uncertainty and external perturbation considered in control laws design. Proportional and Derivative (PD) with gravity compensation control is well-known control used in manipulators to ensure global asymptotic stability for fixed symmetrical positive definite gain matrices. To enhance PD with gravity compensation controller performance, in this paper, we propose hybrid fuzzy PD control precompensation with gravity compensation, consisting of a fuzzy logic-based precompensator followed by hybrid fuzzy PD with gravity compensation controller. Hybrid fuzzy control is done by a Supervisory Hierarchical Fuzzy Controller (SHFC) for tuning conventional controller Proportional and Derivative gains based on actual tracking location and velocity error. Hierarchical hybrid fuzzy control consists of an intelligent upper supervisory fuzzy controller and a lower direct conventional PD controller. Numerical simulations using the dynamic model of a three DOF planar rigid robot manipulator with uncertainty show the effectiveness of the approach in trajectory tracking problems. Our results show that the proposal controller has performance superior to a conventional controller.
-  S. Alvandar and M. J. Nigam, “New Hybrid Adaptive Neuro Fuzzy Algorithms for Manipulator Control with Uncertainties – Comparative Study,” ISA Trans., Vol.48, Issue 4, pp. 497-502, 2009.
-  M. Spong and M. Vidyasagar, “Robot Dynamics and Control,” New York: Wiley, 1989.
-  J. J. Craig, “Adaptive control of manipulators through repeated trials,” In M. W. Spong , F. L. Lewis, C. T. Abdallah, editors, Robot control: Dynamics, motion planning, and analysis, IEEE, IEEE Control Systems Society, pp. 206-213, 1993.
-  J. J. Craig, P. Hsu, and S. S. Sastry, “Adaptive control of mechanical manipulators,” Int J. of Robotic Research; Vol.6, No.2, pp. 16-28, 1987.
-  S. Alvandar and M. J. Nigam, “Comparative Analysis of Conventional and Soft Computing based Control Strategies for Robot Manipulators with Uncertainties,” Int. J. of Computational Cognition, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 52-61, 2009.
-  D. H. Patino, R. Carelli, and B. R. Kuchen, “Neural networks for advanced control of robot manipulators,” IEEE Trans. on Neural networks, Vol.13, pp. 343-354, 2002.
-  C. Y. Su and Y. Stepanenko, “Hybrid adaptive/robust motion control of rigid-link electrically-driven robot manipulators,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.11, pp. 426-432, 1995.
-  C. Abdallah, D. Dawson, P. Dorato, and M. Jamshidi, “Survey of robust control for rigids robots,” IEEE Control System Magazine, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 24-30, 1991.
-  C. Y. Kuo and S. P. T. Wang, “Nonlinear robust industrial robot control,” ASME J. of Dynamic Systems Measurements and Control, Vol.11, pp. 24-30, 1989.
-  A. Ibrahimbegovic, C. Knopf-Lenoir, A. Kucerova, and P. Villon, “Optimal design and optimal control of elastic structures undergoing finite rotations,” Int. J. of Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol.61, pp. 2428-2460, 2004.
-  J. N. Juang and K. W. Eure, “Predictive feedback and feedforward control for systems with unknown disturbances,” NASA/Tm-1998-208744, 1998.
-  Y. Chen and J. L. Chang, “Sliding-mode force control of manipulators,” in Proc. National Science Council ROC(A), Vol.23, pp. 281-289, 1999.
-  K. K. Shyu, P. H. Chu, and L. J. Shang, “Control of rigid robot manipulators via combination of adaptive sliding mode control and compensated inverse dynamics approach,” in IEE Proc. on Control Theory and Application, Vol.143, pp. 283-288, 1996.
-  M. J. K. Adam, “Basics of robotics: Theory and components of manipulators and robots,” Springer Wien, NJ, 1999.
-  H. Asada and J. E. Slotine, “Robot Analysis and Control,” Wiley, NJ, 1986.
-  M. W. Spong, F. Lewis, and C. Abdallah, “Robot Control: Dynamics, Motion Planning, and Analysis,” IEEE Press, NJ, 1993.
-  L. Zadeh, “Fuzzy logic, neural networks and soft computing,” Fuzzy Systems, Vol.37, pp. 77-84, Mar. 1994.
-  W. Li et al., “Tracking control of a manipulator under uncertainty by fuzzy P + ID controller,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.122, pp. 125-137, 2001.
-  W. Li, X. G. Chang, J. Farrell, and F. M. Wahl, “Design of an enhanced hybrid fuzzy P+ID controller for a mechanical manipulator,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics – Part B: Cybernetics, Vol.31, Dec. 2001.
-  G. K. I. Mann, B. G. Hu, and R. G. Gosine, “Analysis of direct action fuzzy PID controller structures,” IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern, Vol.29, No.3, pp. 371-388, 1999.
-  G. M. Khoury, M. Saad, H. Y. Kanaan, and C. Asmar, “Fuzzy PID control of a five DOF robot arm,” J. of Intelligent and Robotic systems, Vol.40, pp. 299-320, July 2004.
-  S. Alavandar and M. J. Nigam, “Fuzzy PD+I control of a six DOF robot manipulator,” Industrial Robot: An Int. J., Vol.35, pp. 125-132, 2008.
-  Y. L. Sun and M. J. Er, “Hybrid fuzzy control of robotics systems,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.12, No.6, pp. 755-765, 2004.
-  S. G. Anavatti, S. A. Salman, and J. Y. Choi, “Fuzzy + PID controller for robot manipulator,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Computational Intelligence for Modelling Control and Automation and Int. Conf. on Intelligent Agents Web Technologies and Int. Commerce (CIMCA’06), p. 75, 2006.
-  E. M. Scharf and N. J. Mandic, “The application of fuzzy controller to the control of a multi-degree-of-freedom robot arm,” In M. Sugeno (ed) Industrial Applications of Fuzzy Control, North-Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1985.
-  N. J. Mandic, E. M. Scharf, and E. H. Mamdani, “The practical application of a heuristic fuzzy rule-based controller to the dynamic control of a robot arm,” Proc. of IEE, Vol.D132, pp. 190-203, 1985.
-  R. Tanscheit and E. M. Scharf, “Experiments with the use of a rulebased self organizing controller for robotic applications,” Fuzzy Sets Syst., Vol.26, pp. 195-214, 1988.
-  J. C. Wu and T. S. Liu, “A sliding-mode approach to fuzzy control design,” IEEE Trans Control Syst Tech Vol.4, No.2, pp. 141-151, 1996.
-  B. K. Woo, S. C. Jeong, and W. C. Ham, “Adaptive sliding mode control based on FLS,” Proc. of 5th IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), New Orleans, LA, Vol.1, pp. 601-607, 1996.
-  B. K. Woo and W. C. Ham, “Adaptive fuzzy sliding mode control of nonlinear system,” IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Syst, Vol.6, pp. 315-321, 1998.
-  S. S. Neo and M. J. Er, “Adaptive fuzzy controllers of a robot manipulator,” Int. J. Syst. Sci., Vol.27, pp. 519-532, 1996.
-  T. P. Leung, Q. J. Zhou, and C. Y. Su, “An adaptive variable structure model following control design for robot manipulators,” IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, Vol.36, pp. 347-353, 1991.
-  S. Alvandar, T. Jain, and M. J. Nigam, “Bacterial Foraging Optimized Hybrid Fuzzy Precompensated PD Control of Two Link Rigid – Flexible Manipulator,” Int. J. of Computational Intelligence Systems, Vol.2, Issue 1, pp. 51-59, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.