A Study of Scanning the Ultrasound Probe on Body Surface and Construction of Visual Servo System Based on Echogram
Yusuke Aoki, Kenta Kaneko, Taro Sakai, and Kohji Masuda
Graduate School of Bio-Applications and Systems Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 2-24-16 Naka-cho, Koganei-shi, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
We have developed a scanning method of the ultrasound probe on body surface to construct visual servo system based on acquired echogram by the standalone medical robot, which is developed in our laboratory to move the ultrasound probe on patient abdomen in three-dimension. The visual servo system detects local change of brightness in time series echogram, which is stabilized the position of the probe by conventional force servo system in the robot, to compensate not only periodical respiration motion but also body motion. Then we integrated control method of the visual servo with the force servo as a hybrid control in both of position and force. To confirm the feasibility of application, we experimented tracking the gallbladder in echogram by minimizing abdominal response variations.
-  P. Abolmaesumi et al., “Image-Guided Control of a Robot for Medical Ultrasound,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 11-23, 2002.
-  N. Koizumi et al., “Dynamic Switching Capability of the Controller According to Diagnostic Tasks in the Remote Ultrasound Diagnostic System,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 146-154, 2004.
-  N. Koizumi et al., “A Study on the Construction Methodology of Remote Ultrasound Diagnostic System,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 267-279, 2007.
-  A. Vilchis et al., “Experimental with the TER Tele-echography Robot,” Proc. of Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervision, pp. 138-146, 2002.
-  K. Masuda and H. Kato, “Development of a Twist Pantograph Mechanism for Robotic Tele-Echography,” Proc. of 3rd EMBEC’05, No.1847, CD-ROM, 2005.
-  Y. Nakamura and H. Kishi, “Robotic Stabilization that Assists Cardiac Surgery on Beating Hearts,” Proc. of Medicine Meets Virtual Reality 2001, pp. 355-361, 2001.
-  N. Koizumi et al., “Feed-Forward Controller for the Integrated Non-Invasive Ultrasound Diagnosis and Treatment,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 89-97, 2008.
-  T. Katsuragawa et al., “Application of Hybrid Compliance/Force Control for Industrial Robot,” J. of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.12, No.6, pp. 893-898, 1994. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Aoki et al., “A Study of Scanning the Ultrasound Probe on the Body Surface by Hybrid Control for Robotic Echography,” 51th Proc. of the Japan Joint Automatic Control Conf., CD-ROM, 2008. (in Japanese)
-  Y. Takachi et al., “Compliance Control with Active/Passive Switchable Drive for Robotic Echography System,” Proc. of The 48th Annual Conf. of Japanese Society for Medical and Biological Engineering, CD-ROM, 2009. (in Japanese)
-  K. Kaneko et al., “Feedback Control to Search Internal Organ for Robotic Echography by Real Time Recognition of Echogram,” ROBOMEC2008, CD-ROM, 2008. (in Japanese)
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.