Miniaturization Design of Piezoelectric Vibration-Driven Pneumatic Unconstrained Valves
Sumadi Jien*, Shinichi Hirai*, and Kenshin Honda**
*Department of Robotics, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji Higashi, Kusatsu 525-8577, Japan
**R&D Department, Toray Engineering Co., Ltd., 1-1-1 Sonoyama, Otsu, Shiga 520-0842, Japan
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of Active Support Splint Driven by Pneumatic Soft Actuator (ASSIST),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.6, 2004.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Shiiba, and Y. Ishida, “Realization of All 7 Motions for the Upper Limb by a Muscle Suit,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, 2004.
-  H. Kobayashi and K. Hiramatsu, “Development of Muscle Suit for Upper Limb,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2480-2485, 2004.
-  S. Davis et al., “Enhanced Dynamic Performance in Pneumatic Muscle Actuators,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2836-2841, 2002.
-  A. M. Bertetto and M. Ruggiu, “A Novel Fluidic Bellows Manipulator,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.6, 2004.
-  N. Saga, J. Y. Nagase, and Y. Kondo, “Development of a Tendon-Driven System Using Pneumatic Balloon,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, 2006.
-  T. Shimizu, Y. Hayakawa, and S. Kawamura, “Development of a Hexahedron Rubber Actuator,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2619-2624, 1995.
-  B. Tondu, S. Ippolito, J. Guiochet, and A. Daidie, “A Sevendegrees-of-freedom Robot-arm Driven by Pneumatic Artificial Muscles for Humanoid Robots,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.24, No.4, pp. 257-274, 2005.
-  K. Yoshida, M. Kikuchi, J. Park, and S. Yokota, “A Micro ER Valve Fabricated by Micromachining,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on MEMS, pp. 467-470, 2001.
-  K. Yoshida, Y. Jung, and S. Yokota, “A Micro Valve Using MR Fluid Valve-Body,” Proc. ICMT, pp. 423-428, 2002.
-  M. C. Birch et al., “A Miniature Hybrid Robot Propelled by Legs,” 2001 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.2, pp. 845-851, 2001.
-  Y. K. Lee and I. Shimoyama, “AMulti-Channel Micro Valve forMicro Pneumatic Artificial Muscle,” The 15th IEEE Int. Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS’02), pp. 702-705, USA, 2002.
-  S. Uehara and S. Hirai, “Unconstrained Vibrational Pneumatic Valves for Miniaturized Proportional Control Devices,” 9th Int. Conf. on Mechatronics Technology, Malaysia, 2005.
-  S. Jien, Y. Ogawa, S. Hirai, and K. Honda, “Performance Evaluation of a Miniaturized Unconstrained Digital On-Off Switching Valve,” 2008 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, China, 2008.
-  T. Noritsugu and M. Takaiwa, “Robust Positioning Control of Pneumatic Servo System with Pressure Control Loop,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2613-2618, 1995.
-  T. Noritsugu and T. Wada, “Adaptive structure control of pneumatically actuated robot,” JHPS Int. Symp. Fluid Power, pp. 591-598, 1989.
-  S. Jien, M. Tatsumi, S. Hirai, and K. Honda, “Miniaturized Pneumatic Pressure Control Valve for Robotic Applications,” The 27th Annual Conf. of Robotics, 2009.
-  S. Jien, S. Hirai, Y. Ogawa, M. Ito, and K. Honda, “Pressure Control Valve for McKibben Artificial Muscle Actuators with Miniaturized Pneumatic On/Off Valves,” 2009 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Singapore, 2009.
-  R. V. Ham, B. Verrelst, F. Daerdenm, and D. Lefeber, “Pressure Control with On-Off Valves of Pleated Pneumatic Artificial Muscles in a Modular One-Dimensional Rotational Joint,” Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, Oct. 2003.
-  T. Akagi and S. Dohta, “Development of Small Sized Multi-port Pressure Control Valve for Wearable Actuator,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 649-654, Okayama, Japan, 2004.
-  http://www.physikinstrumente.com/en/products/piezo_tutorial.php
-  S. Jien, S. Hirai, and K. Honda, “Miniaturized Unconstrained on-off Pneumatic Poppet Valve – Experiment and Simulation –,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.14, pp. 626-635, 2009.
-  M. Goldfarb and N. Celanovic, “Modeling piezoelectric stack actuators for control of micromanipulation,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.17, pp. 69-79, 1997.
-  H. J. M. T. A. Adriaens, W. L. Koning, and R. Banning, “Modeling Piezoelectric Actuators,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 331-341, 2000.
-  http://www.physikinstrumente.com/en/pdf_extra/2009_PI_Piezo_University_Designing_with_Piezo_Actuators_Tutorial.pdf
-  R. Isermann, “Mechatronic Systems Fundamentals,” Springer, 2005.
-  D. Campolo, M. Sitti, and R. S. Fearing, “Efficient Charge Recovery Method for Driving Piezoelectric Actuators with Quasi-Square Waves,” IEEE Trans. on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol.50, No.3, pp. 237-244, 2003.
-  M. Guan and W. H. Lao, “Studies on the circuit models of piezoelectric ceramics,” Int. Conf. on Information Acquisition, pp. 26-31, 2004.
-  M. Karpelson, G. Y. Wei, and R. J. Wood, “Milligram-Scale High-Voltage Power Electronics for Piezoelectric Microrobots,” 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2217-2224, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.