Miniaturization Design of Piezoelectric Vibration-Driven Pneumatic Unconstrained Valves
Sumadi Jien*, Shinichi Hirai*, and Kenshin Honda**
*Department of Robotics, Ritsumeikan University, 1-1-1 Noji Higashi, Kusatsu 525-8577, Japan
**R&D Department, Toray Engineering Co., Ltd., 1-1-1 Sonoyama, Otsu, Shiga 520-0842, Japan
The growing demand for an increased power-toweight ratio in a wearable robot’s components has helped drive trends in miniaturization in component production. This is because such “assist-bots” must maximize their usefulness as they minimize weight restrictions on the users wearing them. These trends have been hindered by the lack of ultra precision assembly and the limited availability of mini solenoid valves. An unconstrained valve driven by a PiezoElectric Actuator (PEA) is thus proposed for its simplicity and high miniaturization potential. In this paper, the realization ofminiaturized unconstrained valves is discussed, which covers the valve design towards miniaturization and implementation in robotics. A LC tuner improves PEA efficiency, increasing the output flow of small unconstrained valves.
-  D. Sasaki, T. Noritsugu, and M. Takaiwa, “Development of Active Support Splint Driven by Pneumatic Soft Actuator (ASSIST),” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.6, 2004.
-  H. Kobayashi, T. Shiiba, and Y. Ishida, “Realization of All 7 Motions for the Upper Limb by a Muscle Suit,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.5, 2004.
-  H. Kobayashi and K. Hiramatsu, “Development of Muscle Suit for Upper Limb,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2480-2485, 2004.
-  S. Davis et al., “Enhanced Dynamic Performance in Pneumatic Muscle Actuators,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2836-2841, 2002.
-  A. M. Bertetto and M. Ruggiu, “A Novel Fluidic Bellows Manipulator,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.6, 2004.
-  N. Saga, J. Y. Nagase, and Y. Kondo, “Development of a Tendon-Driven System Using Pneumatic Balloon,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.18, No.2, 2006.
-  T. Shimizu, Y. Hayakawa, and S. Kawamura, “Development of a Hexahedron Rubber Actuator,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2619-2624, 1995.
-  B. Tondu, S. Ippolito, J. Guiochet, and A. Daidie, “A Sevendegrees-of-freedom Robot-arm Driven by Pneumatic Artificial Muscles for Humanoid Robots,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.24, No.4, pp. 257-274, 2005.
-  K. Yoshida, M. Kikuchi, J. Park, and S. Yokota, “A Micro ER Valve Fabricated by Micromachining,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on MEMS, pp. 467-470, 2001.
-  K. Yoshida, Y. Jung, and S. Yokota, “A Micro Valve Using MR Fluid Valve-Body,” Proc. ICMT, pp. 423-428, 2002.
-  M. C. Birch et al., “A Miniature Hybrid Robot Propelled by Legs,” 2001 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol.2, pp. 845-851, 2001.
-  Y. K. Lee and I. Shimoyama, “AMulti-Channel Micro Valve forMicro Pneumatic Artificial Muscle,” The 15th IEEE Int. Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS’02), pp. 702-705, USA, 2002.
-  S. Uehara and S. Hirai, “Unconstrained Vibrational Pneumatic Valves for Miniaturized Proportional Control Devices,” 9th Int. Conf. on Mechatronics Technology, Malaysia, 2005.
-  S. Jien, Y. Ogawa, S. Hirai, and K. Honda, “Performance Evaluation of a Miniaturized Unconstrained Digital On-Off Switching Valve,” 2008 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, China, 2008.
-  T. Noritsugu and M. Takaiwa, “Robust Positioning Control of Pneumatic Servo System with Pressure Control Loop,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2613-2618, 1995.
-  T. Noritsugu and T. Wada, “Adaptive structure control of pneumatically actuated robot,” JHPS Int. Symp. Fluid Power, pp. 591-598, 1989.
-  S. Jien, M. Tatsumi, S. Hirai, and K. Honda, “Miniaturized Pneumatic Pressure Control Valve for Robotic Applications,” The 27th Annual Conf. of Robotics, 2009.
-  S. Jien, S. Hirai, Y. Ogawa, M. Ito, and K. Honda, “Pressure Control Valve for McKibben Artificial Muscle Actuators with Miniaturized Pneumatic On/Off Valves,” 2009 IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Singapore, 2009.
-  R. V. Ham, B. Verrelst, F. Daerdenm, and D. Lefeber, “Pressure Control with On-Off Valves of Pleated Pneumatic Artificial Muscles in a Modular One-Dimensional Rotational Joint,” Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, Oct. 2003.
-  T. Akagi and S. Dohta, “Development of Small Sized Multi-port Pressure Control Valve for Wearable Actuator,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, pp. 649-654, Okayama, Japan, 2004.
-  http://www.physikinstrumente.com/en/products/piezo_tutorial.php
-  S. Jien, S. Hirai, and K. Honda, “Miniaturized Unconstrained on-off Pneumatic Poppet Valve – Experiment and Simulation –,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.14, pp. 626-635, 2009.
-  M. Goldfarb and N. Celanovic, “Modeling piezoelectric stack actuators for control of micromanipulation,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, Vol.17, pp. 69-79, 1997.
-  H. J. M. T. A. Adriaens, W. L. Koning, and R. Banning, “Modeling Piezoelectric Actuators,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.5, No.4, pp. 331-341, 2000.
-  http://www.physikinstrumente.com/en/pdf_extra/2009_PI_Piezo_University_Designing_with_Piezo_Actuators_Tutorial.pdf
-  R. Isermann, “Mechatronic Systems Fundamentals,” Springer, 2005.
-  D. Campolo, M. Sitti, and R. S. Fearing, “Efficient Charge Recovery Method for Driving Piezoelectric Actuators with Quasi-Square Waves,” IEEE Trans. on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol.50, No.3, pp. 237-244, 2003.
-  M. Guan and W. H. Lao, “Studies on the circuit models of piezoelectric ceramics,” Int. Conf. on Information Acquisition, pp. 26-31, 2004.
-  M. Karpelson, G. Y. Wei, and R. J. Wood, “Milligram-Scale High-Voltage Power Electronics for Piezoelectric Microrobots,” 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2217-2224, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2010 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.