Functionally Layered Video Coding Based on JP2K for Robot Vision Network
Sakol Udomsiri*, Hideki Taguchi*, Tomoyuki Takahashi*,
Masahiro Iwahashi*, and Tetsuya Kimura**
*Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Nagaoka University of Technology
**Dept. of System Safety, Nagaoka University of Technology 1603-1, Kamitomioka, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
We propose video coding that extracts minimum information for robots to reduce data transmission in a robot vision network where a ceiling map is generated from ceiling video from an indoor search robot and shared among search robots. Video signals are conventionally decomposed into several components and only visually significant components are transmitted. We propose that only required components for ceiling map generation and auto localization be designated as the basic layer and that other components be assigned as the enhancement layer. Only the basic layer is transmitted and received in regular communication between the robots. The enhancement layer is additionally transmitted to enable users to browse images. Experiments verified that transmission data volume was reduced by 15%, enabling more users and robots to link up in networks whose communication channel transmission is limited.
Masahiro Iwahashi, and Tetsuya Kimura, “Functionally Layered Video Coding Based on JP2K for Robot Vision Network,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.21, No.6, pp. 758-764, 2009.
-  G. N. Desouza and A. C. Kak, “Vision for Mobile Robot Navigation: a Survey,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis Machine Intelligence, Vol.24, Issue 2, pp. 237-267, Feb. 2002.
-  D. Nister, O. Naroditsky, and J. Bergen, “Visual Odometry,” Proc. IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Vol.1, 27, pp. I-652-659, July 2004.
-  R. Munguia and A. Grau, “Monocular SLAM for Visual Odometry,” IEEE Int. Symposium on Intelligent Signal Processing (WISP), pp. 1-6, Oct. 2007.
-  C. A. Wilson and J. A. Theriot, “A Correlation-Based Approach to Calculate Rotation and Translation of Moving Cells,” IEEE Trans. Image Processing, Vol.15, Issue 7, pp. 1939-1951, July 2006.
-  N. P. Papanikolopoulos, P. K. Khosla, and T. Kanade, “Visual tracking of a moving target by a camera mounted on a robot: a combination of control and vision,” IEEE Trans. Robotics Automation, Vol.9, Issue1, pp. 14-35, Feb. 1993.
-  K. Ito, H. Nakajima, K. Kobayashi, T. Aoki, and T. Higuchi, “A Fingerprint Matching Algorithm Using Phase-Only Correlation,” IEICE Trans. Fundamentals, Vol.E87-A No.3 pp. 682-691, March 2004.
-  G. K. Wallace, “The JPEG Still Picture Compression Standard,” IEEE Trans. Consumer Electron. Vol.38, No.1, pp. 108-124, 1992.
-  D. Legall, “MPEG: A Video Compression Standard for Multimedia Applications,” Communications of the ACM, Vol.34, No.4, pp. 46-58, 1991.
-  K. Konolige, C. Ortiz, R. Vincent, A. Agno, M. Eriksen, B. Limketkai, M. Lewis, L. Briesemeister, and E. Ruspini, “CENTIBOTS: Large Scale Robot Teams,” DARPA Software for Distributed Robotics: Technical Report, Dec. 2002.
-  JTC1/ SC29, “Information technology - JPEG 2000 image coding system: Core coding system,” ISO/IEC15444-1, 2004.
-  A. Descampe, F. O. Devaux, G. Rouvroy, J. D. Legat, J. J. Quisquater, and B. Macq, “A Flexible Hardware JPEG 2000 Decoder for Digital Cinema,” IEEE Trans. CAS for Video Technology, Vol.16, Issue 11, pp. 1397-1410, Nov. 2006.
-  S. Tansuriyavong, T. Suzuki, and M. Iwahashi, “Awareness Video Communication System based on JPEG2000,” The J. of the Institute of Image Electronics Engineers of Japan, Visual Computing, Devices & Communications., Vol.36, No.5, pp. 807-813, Sept. 2007.
-  S. Udomsiri, M. Iwahashi, and S. Muramatsu, “Functionally layered video coding for water level monitoring,” IEICE Trans. Fundamentals of Electronics, Commun. Computer Sciences, Vol.E91-A, No.4, pp. 1006-1014, Apr. 2008.
-  M. Iwahashi, H. Taguchi, and T. Kimura, “Functionally Layered Coding for Robot Vision Network,” Picture Coding Symposium, Taiwan, May, 2009 (to be published).
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.