3D Hand Pose Estimation Using a Single Camera for Unspecified Users
Kiyoshi Hoshino and Motomasa Tomida
Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering, University of Tsukuba 1-1-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
The three-dimensional hand pose estimation this paper proposes uses a single camera to search a large database for the hand image most similar to the data input. It starts with coarse screening of proportional information on hand images roughly corresponding to forearm or hand rotation, or thumb or finger bending. Next, a detailed search is made for similarity among selected candidates. No separate processes were used to estimate corresponding joint angles when describing wrist’s rotation, flexion/extension, and abduction/adduction motions. By estimating sequential hand images this way, we estimated joint angle estimation error within several degrees – even when the wrist was freely rotating – within 80 fps using only a Notebook PC and high-speed camera, regardless of hand size and shape.
-  J. M. Rehg and T. Kanade, “Visual Tracking of High DOF Articulated Structures: an Application to Human Hand Tracking,” European Conf. Computer Vision, pp. 35-46, 1994.
-  M. H. Jeong, Y. Kuno, N. Shimada, and Y. Shirai, “Recognition of Shape-Changing Hand Gestures, IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems,” E85-D, pp. 1678-1687, 2002.
-  S. Lu, D. Metaxas, D. Samaras, and J. Oliensis, “Using Multiple Cues for Hand Tracking and Model Refinement.” Proc. CVPR2003, 2, pp. 443-450, 2003.
-  E. Ueda, Y. Matsumoto, M. Imai, and T. Ogasawara, “Hand Pose Estimation for Vision-Based Human Interface,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, 50, 4, pp. 676-684, 2003.
-  M. H. Jeong, Y. Kuno, N. Shimada, and Y. Shirai, “Recognition of Two-Hand Gestures Using Coupled Switching Linear Model,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, E86-D, pp. 1416-1425, 2003.
-  T. Gumpp, P. Azad, K. Welke, E. Oztop, R. Dillmann, and G. Cheng, “Unconstrained Real-Time Markerless Hand Tracking for Humanoid Interaction,” Proc. IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, CD-ROM, 2006.
-  V. Athitos and S. Scarloff, “An Appearance-Based Framework for 3D Hand Shape Classification and Camera Viewpoint Estimation,” Proc. Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 40-45, 2002.
-  K. Hoshino and T. Tanimoto, “Real Time Search for Similar Hand Images from Database for Robotic Hand Control,” IEICE Trans. on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, E88-A, pp. 2514-2520, 2005.
-  Y. Wu, J. Lin, and T. S. Huang, “Analyzing and Capturing Articulated Hand Motion in Image Sequences,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 27, pp. 1910-1922, 2005.
-  K. Hoshino, E. Tamaki, and T. Tanimoto, “Copycat Hand - Robot Hand Imitating Human Motions at High Speed and with High Accuracy,” Advanced Robotics, 21, pp. 1743-1761, 2007.
-  R. Sano, M. Tomida, and K. Hoshino, “3D Hand Posture Estimation Using Relative Positions of Fingernails as First-Stage Screening,” ITE technical report, 33, pp. 21-24, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  N. Otsu and T. Kurita, “A New Scheme for Practical, Flexible and Intelligent Vision Systems,” Proc. IAPR. Workshop on Computer Vision, pp. 431-435, 1998.
-  K. Hoshino and I. Kawabuchi, “Pinching at Finger Tips for Humanoid Robot Hand,” J. of Robotics and Mechatronics, 17, pp. 655-663, 2005.
-  K. Hoshino and T. Tanimoto, “Realtime Hand Posture Estimation with Self-Organizing Map for Stable Robot Control,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, E89-D, pp. 1813-1819, 2006.
-  B. Stenger, A. Thayananthan, P. H. S. Torr, and R. Cipolla, “Hand Pose Estimation Using Hierarchical Detection,” Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3058, pp. 105-116, 2004.
-  A. Thayananthan, B. Stenger, P. H. S. Torr, and R. Cipolla, “Learning a Kinematic Prior for Tree-Based Filtering,” British Machine Vision Conference, 2, pp. 589-598, 2003.
-  C. Tomasi, S. Petrov, and A. Sastry, “3D Tracking = Classification + Interpolation,” Ninth IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, 2, pp. 1441-1448, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.