A Mobile Sensor Network Forming Concentric Circles Through Local Interaction and Consensus Building
Geunho Lee*, Seokhoon Yoon*, Nak Young Chong*, and Henrik Christensen**
*School of Information Science, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology,
Nomi, Ishikawa 923-1292, Japan
**College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology,
Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
-  H. Choset, “Coverage for robotics - a survey of recent results,” Annals of Math. and Artificial Intelligence, Vol.31, No.1-4, pp. 113-126, 2001.
-  G. Lee and N. Y. Chong, “Self-configurable mobile robot swarms with hole repair capability,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1403-1408, 2008.
-  N. Boeddeker and M. Egelhaaf, “Steering a virtual blowfly: simulation of visual pursuit,” Proc. Biological Sciences, Vol.270, No.1527, pp. 1971-1978, 2003.
-  I. Suzuki and M. Yamashita, “Distributed anonymous mobile robots: formation of geometric patterns,” SIAM Jour. of Computing, Vol.28, No.4, pp. 1347-1363, 1999.
-  X. Defago and A. Konagaya, “Circle formation for oblivious anonymous mobile robots with no common sense of orientation,” Proc. 2nd ACM Int. Work. Principles of Mobile Computing, pp. 97-104, 2002.
-  G. Baldassarre, V. Trianni, M. Bonani, F. Mondada, M. Dorigo, and S. Nolfi, “Self-organized coordinated motion in groups of physically connected robots,” IEEE Trans. on Systems Man and Cybernetics - Part B, Vol.37, No.1, pp. 224-239, 2007.
-  Y. Ikemoto, Y. Hasegawa, T. Fukuda, and K. Matsuda, “Graduated spatial pattern formation of robot group,” Information Sciences, Vol.171, No.4, pp. 431-445, 2005.
-  B. Werger and M. J. Mataric, “From insect to internet: situated control for networked robot teams,” Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, Vol.31, pp. 173-198, 2001.
-  T. Balch and M. Hybinette, “Social potentials for scalable multi-robot formations,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 73-80, 2000.
-  Y. F. Zheng and W. Chen, “Mobile robot team forming for crystallization of protein,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 69-78, 2007.
-  W. Spears, D. Spears, J. Hamann, and R. Heil, “Distributed, physics-based control of swarms of vehicles,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.17, No.2-3, pp. 137-162, 2004.
-  J. Reif and H. Wang, “Social potential fields: a distributed behavioral control for autonomous robots,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Vol.27, No.3, pp. 171-194, 1999.
-  B. Shucker, T. Murphey, and J. K. Bennett, “A method of cooperative control using occasional non-local interactions,” Proc. IEEE Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 1324-1329, 2006.
-  G. Lee and N. Y. Chong, “A geometric approach to deploying robot swarms,” Annals of Math. and Artificial Intelligence, Vol.52, No.2-4, pp. 257-280, 2008.
-  J. Fredslund and M. J. Mataric, “A general algorithm for robot formations using local sensing and minimal communication,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 837-846, 2002.
-  G. Lee and N. Y. Chong, “Decentralized formation control for small-scale robot teams with anonymity,” Mechtronics, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 85-105, 2009.
-  J. L. Gross and J. Yellen, “Graph theory and its applications,” CRC Press, 1999.
-  J. R. Carpenter, “Decentralized control of satellite formations,” Int. Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, Vol.12, No.2-3, pp. 141-161, 2002.
-  J. A. Fax and R. M. Murray, “Information flow and cooperative control of vehicle formations,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.49, No.9, pp. 1465-1476, 2004.
-  W. Ren and R. W. Beard, “Consensus seeking in multiagent systems under dynamically changing interaction topologies,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.50, No.5, pp. 655-661, 2005.
-  T. Vicsek, A. Czirok, E. Ben-Jacob, I. Cohen, and O. Schochet, “Novel type of phase transitions in a system of self-driven particles,” Physical Review Letters, Vol.75, No.6, pp. 1226-1229, 1995.
-  R. Olfati-Saber and R. M. Murray, “Consensus problems in networks of agents with switching topology and time-delays,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.49, No.9, pp. 1520-1533, 2004.
-  Z. Lin, B. Francis, and M. Maggiore, “Necessary and sufficient graphical conditions for formation control of unicycles,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.50, No.1, pp. 121-127, 2005.
-  H. G. Tanner, A. Jadbabaie, and G. J. Pappas, “Stable flocking of mobile agents, part i: fixed topology,” Proc. 42nd IEEE Conf. Decision and Control, pp. 2010-2015, 2003.
-  J. E. Slotine and W. Li, “Applied nonlinear control,” Prentice-Hall, 1991.
-  H. K. Khalil, “Nonlinear systems,” 2nd ed., Prentice-Hall, 1996.
-  S. Yoon, G. Lee, N. Y. Chong, and H. Christensen “Multi-robot formation generation with dual rotating infrared sensors,” Proc. 39th Int. Symposium on Robotics, pp. 867-872, 2008.
-  G. Lee, S. Yoon, N. Y. Chong, and H. Christensen, “Self-configuring robot swarms with dual rotating infrared sensors,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, October, 2009. (to be appeared)
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.