Neuro-Fuzzy Control of Power-Assist Omnidirectional Wheelchair Using Human-Friendly Touch Panel
Kazuhiko Terashima*, Hideo Kitagawa**, Takanori Miyoshi*, Sou Kitamura*, and Juan Urbano*
*Toyohashi University of Technology
1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku-cho, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8580, Japan
**Gifu National College of Technology
2236-2, Kamimakuwa, Motosu, Gifu 501-0495, Japan
An omnidirectional power-assist wheelchair must be adaptable to needs of individual attendants. We modified our neuro-fuzzy controller to improve diagonal movements. We also developed an innovative touch panel interface providing easy real-time input and feedback. Experiments confirmed the wheelchair’s adaptability to user needs.
-  M. West and H. Asada, “Design of a holonomic omnidirectional vehicle,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Automat., pp. 97-103, 1992.
-  F. G. Pin and S. M. Killough, “A new family of omni-directional and holonomic wheeled platforms for mobile robots,” IEEE Trans. Robot. Automat., Vol.10, pp. 480-489, 1994.
-  E. Nakano and N. Koyachi, “An Advanced Mechanism of the Omni-Directional Vehicle (ODV) and Its Application to the Working Wheelchair for the Disabled,” Proc. ’83 ICAR Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, pp. 277-284, 1983.
-  M. Wada and H. Asada, “Design and Control of a Variable Footprint Mechanism for Holonomic Omnidirectional Vehicles and its Application to Wheelchairs,” Proc. IEEE Trans. Robot. Automat., Vol.15, No.6, pp. 978-989, 1999.
-  H. Kitagawa, T. Kobayashi, T. Beppu, and K. Terashima, “Semi-Autonomous Obstacle Avoidance of Omnidirectional Wheelchair by Joystick Impedance Control,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Symp. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2148-2153, 2001.
-  H. Kitagawa, T. Beppu, T. Kobayashi, and K. Terashima, “Motion Control of Omnidirectional Wheelchair considering Patient Comfort,” Proc. IFAC World Congress, T-Tu-E20, 2002.
-  J. Urbano, H. Kitagawa, T. Miyoshi, and K. Terashima, “Collision Avoidance in an Omni-directional Wheelchair by using Haptic Feedback,” WSEAS Transactions on Systems, Vol.4(1), pp. 79-84, 2005.
-  H. Seki et al, “Novel Driving Control of Power Assisted Wheelchair Based on Minimum Jerk Trajectory,” IEEJ Trans. EIS, Vol.125(7), pp. 1133-1139, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  Frank Mobility Systems Inc., http://www.frankmobility.com/, 2002.
-  H. Kitagawa, T. Nishigaki, T. Miyoshi, and K. Terashima, “Fuzzy Power Assist Control System for Omni-directional Transport Wheelchair,” Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1580-1585, 2004.
-  H. Maeda, S. Fujiwara, H. Kitano, and H. Yamashita, “Development of Omni-Directional Cart with Power Assist System”, Proc. 18th Annual Conf. of Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 1155-1156, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  J. Jang, “ANFIS: Adaptive-Network-Based Fuzzy Inference System,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.23(3), pp. 665-685, 1993.
-  J. Urbano, K. Terashima, and H. Kitagawa, “Skill-Assist Control of an Omni-directional Wheelchair by Neuro-Fuzzy Systems using Attendants’ Force Input,” Int. J. of Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Vol.2(6), pp. 1219-1248, 2006.
-  C. F. Juang and C. T. Lin, “An On-Line Self-Constructing Neural Fuzzy Inference Network and Its Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.6(1), pp. 12-32, 1998.
-  Y. Kondo, T. Miyoshi, K. Terashima, and H. Kitagawa, “Navigation Guidance Control Using Haptic Feedback for Obstacle Avoidance of Omni-directional Wheelchair,” Proc. 16th Symp. on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environments and Teleoperator Systems, Vol.148, 2008.
-  http://humansystems.arc.nasa.gov/groups/TLX/
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.