Development of Energy Autonomous Type Pneumatic Walking Support Shoes
Masahiro Takaiwa and Toshiro Noritsugu
The Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Okayama University
3-1-1 Tsushimanaka, Okayama 700-8530, Japan
One of the most common causes of injury among the elderly is falls caused mainly by age-related muscular deterioration, particularly in dorsiflexion. Walking plays an important role their independence and well-being. Unlike previously proposed active assist systems, our assist approach used user power rather than an external source such as electricity, making it energy-autonomous. Required specifications for the equipment are derived and the validity of proposed walking support shoes is verified through some experiments.
-  Government of Japan, “Annual Report on The Aging Society 2006,” Chap.1 Status of population aging.
-  J. Nikitczuk and B. Weinberg, “Constantinos Mavroidis, Rehabilitative Knee Orthosis Driven by Electro-Rheological Fluid Based Actuators,” Proc. of ICRA, pp. 2294-2300, 2005.
-  H. Hirai et.al, “Development of an Ankle-foot Orthosis with a Pneumatic Passive Element,” Proc. of ROMAN 2006, pp. 220-226, 2006.
-  K. Fujishiro, T. Ariumi, O. Oyama, and T. Yoshimitsu, “Development of Pneumatic Assist System for Human Walk,” Proc. of SICE Annual Conf., 2003.
-  G. Belforte, L. Gastaldi, and M.Sorli, “Pneumatic active gait orthosis,” Mechatronics, Vol.11, pp. 301-323, 2001.
-  G. Belforte, L. Gastaldi, and M. Sorli, “Pneumatic Active Gait Orthosis,” Mechatronics, Vol.11, pp. 301-323, 2001.
-  K. E. Gordon, G. S. Sawicki, and D. P. Ferris, “Mechanical Performance of Artificial Pneumatic Muscles to Power an Ankle-Foot Orthosis,” Journal of Biomechanics, Vol.39, pp. 1832-1841, 2006.
-  D. P. Ferris, K. E. Gordon, and G. S. Sawicki, “An imploved Powered Ankle-Foot Orthosis Using Proportional Myoelectric Control,” Gait & Posture, Vol.23, pp. 425-528, 2006.
-  S. Lee and Y. Sankai, “Virtual Impedance Adjustment in Unconstrained Motion for an Exoskeletal Robot Assisting the Lower Limb,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.19, No.7, pp. 773-795, 2005.
-  J. Hidler and N. Neckel, “Inverse-Dynamics Based Assessment of Gait Using a Robotic Orthosis,” Proc. of the 28th IEEE EMBS Annual Int. Conf., pp. 185-188, 2006.
-  E. N. Marieb, “Essentials of Human,” Anatomy & Physiology, Igakusyoin, 2000.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.