Intelligent Cutter for Pork Deboning Robot (Automatic Processing of Complete Pre-Deboning Process of Pork Arm)
Akitoshi Itoh*, Yoshiaki Mori*, Yuuki Sugiyama*, and Shinzo Mammoto**
*Tokyo Denki University,
2-2 Kanda Nishiki-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8457, Japan
**Mayekawa MFG. Co., Ltd.
3-14-15 Botan, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-8482, Japan
Recent innovation of the robot deboning technology is remarkable. Now in Japan, 70% of deboned chicken thigh meat in the market is processed by the deboning robot, “Toridas.” The robot deboning of pork or beef, however, is still difficult because of their complexness and strong combination of meat and bone. This paper describes new intelligent cutter for pre-deboning process of pork shoulder meat, which has not been automated in robot deboning. In this research, the authors made the cutting process of the tendon and the periostea on a bone in the condition that a cutter was set perpendicularly to a bone (perpendicular cutting process), and the process which cutter was guided along the bone (parallel cutting process) was investigated how to control automatically in the both processes. The joint separation process was also developed with sensing the position of the joint by the cutter itself (a joint separation process). The process which cuts off the periosteum of the backside of the scapula was also developed. A meat peeling plate was also developed and attached to the cutter. After all, the prospect for the full-automatic pre-deboning was obtained through these studies.
-  G. Purnell, A. Maddock, and K. Khodabandehloo, Robotica 8, pp. 303-310, 1990.
-  I. Wadie et al., Industrial Robot: An International Journal, Vol.22, No.5, p. 2-2(1), 1995.
-  G. Purnell, Meat Science, Vol.49, Supplement1, pp. S297- S307, 1998.
-  R. Templer, A. Osborn et al., Proc. 2002 Australasian Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 43-47, 2002.
-  S. A. Hurd, D.A. Carnegie et al., Int. J. of Intelligent Systems Technologies and Applications, Vol.1, No.1-2, pp. 32-48, 2005.
-  P. Ring, P. Boyce et al., Proc. Australasian Conf. on Robotics and Automation, paper188, 2007.
-  A. Itoh , 14th Int. Conf. Computer-Aided Production Engineering, pp. 435-440, 1998.
-  A. Itoh, S. Manmoto, Journal of The Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Vol.66, No.10, pp. 1599-1605, 2000.
-  K. Masuda, A. Itoh et al., The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, RoboMec'03, 2P1-1F-E7, 2003.
-  Y. Masuda, A. Itoh et al., The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, RoboMec'05, 1P1-S-029, 2006.
-  Y. Sugiyama, A. Itoh et al., Annual Meeting of The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.5, pp. 27-28, 2006.
-  Y. Mori, Y. Sugiyama et al., The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, RoboMec'08, 1P1-S-029, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.