Identification of Contact Conditions from Contact Force and Moment – Experimental Verification in Effective Sensing Strategy –
Takayoshi Yamada*1, Tetsuya Mouri*1, Akira Tanaka*2,
Nobuharu Mimura*3, and Yasuyuki Funahashi*4
*1Gifu University, 1-1, Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
*2Nagoya Institute of Technology, Gokiso-cho, Showa, Nagoya, Aiti 466-8555, Japan
*3Niigata University, 8050 Ikarashi 2-nocho, Nishi-ku, Niigata-shi, Niigata 950-2181, Japan
*4Chukyo University, Kaizu-cho, Toyota, Aichi 470-0393, Japan
This paper discusses an effective sensing strategy for identification of contact conditions by using experiments. The contact conditions include contact position, contact force, contact type, direction of contact normal, and direction of contact line. To distinguish contact type more quickly and accurately, we must raise the degree of separation of large and small eigenvalues of a covariance matrix for estimating contact moment. Firstly, several sensing strategies are investigated through experiments. The difference of these strategies is the origin and direction of movement because the contact moment, which expresses the characteristic of contact type, is generated at a contact frame. Secondly, a more effective sensing movement is suggested from experimental results. Finally, it is pointed out that these strategies are related to sensing movement by a human being.
Nobuharu Mimura, and Yasuyuki Funahashi, “Identification of Contact Conditions from Contact Force and Moment – Experimental Verification in Effective Sensing Strategy –,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.21, No.2, pp. 236-244, 2009.
-  J. D. Shutter, H. Bruyninckx, S. Durte, J. D. Geeter, J. Kaptupritiya, S. Demey, and T. Lefebvre, “Estimating First-Order Geometric Parameters and Monitoring Contact Transitions during Force-Controlled Compliant Motion,” The Int. Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.18, No.12, pp. 1161-1184, 1999.
-  W. Meeussen, J. Rutgeerts, K. Gadeyne, H. Bruyninckx, and J. D. Schutter, “Contact State Segmentation Using Particle Filters for Programming by Human Demonstration in Compliant Motion Tasks,” IEEE Trans. on R., Vol.23, No.2, 2007.
- P. Slaets, T. Lefebvre, J. Rutgeers, H. Bruyninckx, and J. D. Schutter, “Incremental Building of a Polyhedral Feature Model for Programming by Human Demonstration of Force-Controlled Tasks,” IEEE Trans. on R., Vol.23, No.1, pp. 20-32, 2007.
-  K. Kitagaki, “Groping Motion and Manipulation,” Journal of the RSJ, Vol.11, No.8, pp. 1138-1142, 1993.
-  M. Ishikawa, “Active Sensing and Robot Hand,” Journal of the RSJ, Vol.11, No.7, pp. 6-10, 1993.
-  J. K. Salisbury, “Interpretation of Contact Geometries from Force Measurements,” Proc. of 1st Int. Symp. Robotics Research, pp. 565-577, 1983.
-  T. Tsujimura and T. Yabuta, “Object Detection by Tactile Sensing Method Employing Force / Torque Information,” IEEE Trans. on R. and A., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 444-450, 1989.
-  X. Zhou, Q. Shi, and Z. Li, “Contact Localization using Force/Torque Measurements,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA, Vol.2, pp. 1339-1344, 1996.
-  A. Bicchi, “Intrinsic Contact Sensing for Soft Fingers,” Proc of the IEEE ICRA, Vol.2, pp. 968-973, 1990.
-  K. Murakami and T. Hasegawa, “Novel Fingertip Equipped with Soft Skin and Hard Nail for Dexterous Multi-fingered Robotic Manipulation,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA, pp. 708-713, 2003.
-  K. Murakami and T. Hasegawa, “Tactile Sensing of Edge Direction of an Object using a Robotic Fingertip with Soft Skin,” Journal of the RSJ, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 240-247, 2006.
-  K. Kitagaki, T. Ogasawara, and T. Suehiro, “Contact State Detection by Force Sensing for Assembly Tasks,” Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Multisensor Fusion and Integration for Intelligent Systems, pp. 366-370, 1994.
-  N. Mimura and Y. Funahashi, “Parameter Identification of Contact Conditions by Active Force Sensing,” Trans. of the JSME, Series C, Vol.60, No.579, pp. 3816-3821, 1994.
-  N. Mimura, Y. Funahashi, and T. Mouri, “An Algorithm for Identification of Contact Conditions,” Trans. of the JSME, Series C, Vol.63, No.610, 1997.
-  T. Mouri, T. Yamada, N. Mimura, and Y. Funahashi, “Identification of Contact Conditions from Contaminated Data of Contact Moment,” Trans. of the JSME, Series C, Vol.66, No.648, 2000.
-  M. T. Mason and J. K. Salisbury, “Robot Hands and the Mechanics of Manipulation,” MITpress, 1985.
-  T. Yamada, T. Mouri, K. Shimosaka, N. Mimura, and Y. Funahashi, “Identification of Contact Conditions from Contact Force and Moment -Uncertainty of Estimates of Contact Conditions-,” Proc. of the JSME Robomec2008, 1A1-H09, 2008.
Copyright© 2009 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.