Simulator for Optimal Wheelchair Design
Makoto Sasaki*1, Takumi Kimura*2, Kiyomi Matsuo*3,
Goro Obinata*4, Takehiro Iwami*5, Kazuto Miyawaki*6,
and Kazuo Kiguchi*1
*1Department of Advanced Systems Control Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saga University, 1 Honjomachi, Saga-shi, Saga, 840-8502, Japan
*2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Saga University, 1 Honjomachi, Saga-shi, Saga, 840-8502, Japan
*3Saga Medical School Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, 5-1-1 Nabeshima, Saga-shi, Saga 849-8501, Japan
*4Division of Integrated Research Projects, EcoTopia Science Institute, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 464-8603, Japan
*5Department of Mechanical Engineering, Akita University, Tegatagakuen-cho Akita-shi, Akita 010-0852, Japan
*6Akita Prefectural R&D Center, 4-21 Sanuki, Araya-cho, Akita-shi, Akita 010-1623, Japan
This paper presents an adaptive simulator for a manual wheelchair to reduce the user’s upper limb load during wheelchair manipulation and to increase the efficiency of wheelchair propulsion. The proposed simulator provides an optimal position of the handrim/lever and the desired angular position of the seat and backrest of the wheelchair based on the user’s body function.
Goro Obinata, Takehiro Iwami, Kazuto Miyawaki, and
and Kazuo Kiguchi, “Simulator for Optimal Wheelchair Design,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.20, No.6, pp. 854-862, 2008.
-  W. E. Pentland, and L.T. Twomey, “Upper limb function in persons with long-term paraplegia and implications for independence: part I,” Paraplegia, 32, pp. 211-218, 1994.
-  I. H. Sie, R.L. Waters, R. H. Adkins, and H. Gellman, “Upper extremity pain in postrehabilitation spinal cord injured patient,” Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 73, pp. 44-48 1992.
-  H. Gellman, D.R. Chandler, J. Petrasek, I. Sie, R. Adkins, and R.L. Waters, “Carpal tunnel syndrome in paraplegic patients,” J Bone Joint Surg, 70-4, pp. 517-519, 1988.
-  K. A. Curtis and D.A. Dillon, “Survey of wheelchair athletic injuries: Common patterns and prevention,” Paraplegia, 23, pp. 170-75, 1985.
-  R. A. Cooper, “Wheelchair selection and configuration,” Demos Medical Publishing, 1998.
-  B. Engstrom, “Ergonomics Wheelchairs and Positioning,” Miwa Shoten, 1994.
-  M. Sasaki, T. Iwami, G. Obinata, H. Doki, K. Miyawaki, and M. Kinjo, “Biomechanics analysis of the upper limb during wheelchair propulsion,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series C, 71-702, pp. 654-660, 2005.
-  H. Miura, M. Sasaki, G. Obinta, T. Iwami, and K. Hase, “Threedimensional motion analysis of upper limb for optimal design of wheelchair,” The Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Biomechanism, 18, pp. 89-100 2006.
-  M. Sasaki, T. Iwami, G. Obinata, K. Miyawaki, H. Miura, Y. Shimada, and K. Kiguchi, “Analysis of Wheelchair propulsion and hand force pattern based on manipulation ability of the upper limb,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series C, 73-732, pp. 2279-2286, 2007.
-  R. Niesing, R. Eijskoot, R. Kranse, A.H. den Ouden, J. Storm, H.E.J. Veeger, L.H.V. van der Woude, and C. J. Snijders, “Computer-controlled wheelchair ergometer,” Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 28, pp. 329-338, 1990.
-  Spinal Injuries Center, “Rehabilitation engineering research and development,” Annual Report of Spinal Injuries Center, Japan Labor Health and Welfare Organization, 1984.
-  S.-H. Wei, S.-L. Huang, C.-J. Jiang, and J.-C. Chiu, “Wrist kinematic characterization of wheelchair propulsion in various seating positions: implication to wrist pain,” Clinical Biomechanics, 18, pp. S46-S52, 2003.
-  M. Kinjo, T. Iwami, D. Hitoshi, M. Sasaki, G. Nakamichi, G., K. Miyawaki, and O. Goro, “The evaluation for manual wheelchair propulsion efficiency in the rear wheel axle position,” The 18th Japanese Conf. on the Advancement of Assistive and Rehabilitation Technology, pp. 21-22, 2003.
-  L. B. Michael, L. S. Aaron, A.C. Rory, G. F. Shirley, M. K. Alicia, and T.F. Brian, “Propulsion patterns and pushrim biomechanics in manual wheelchair propulsion,” Phys. Med. Rehabil., 83, pp. 718-723, 2002.
-  J. M. Sara, F. Shawn, J. N. Craig, and P. Jacquelin, “Effects of spinal cord injury level on the activity of shoulder muscles during wheelchair propulsion: An electromyographic study,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., 85, pp. 925-934, 2004.
-  W. T. Eric, F. M. Arthur, N. L. Wai, MPhil, H. E. John, and Y. C. York, “Pelvic movement and interface pressure distribution during manual wheelchair propulsion,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., 84, pp. 1466-1772, 2003.
-  H. E. J. Veeger, L. A. Rozendaal, and F. C. T. van der Helm, “Load on the shoulder in low intensity wheelchair propulsion,” Clinical Biomechanics, 17, pp. 211-218, 2002.
-  E. B. Claire, M. Leslie, and S. Marion, “Energy cost of propulsion in standard and ultralight wheelchair in people with spinal cord injuries,” Physical Therapy, 79-2, pp. 146-158, 1999.
-  M. Ae, H. P. Tang, and T. Yokoi, “Estimation of inertia properties of the body segments in Japanese athletes,” The Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Biomechanism 11, pp. 23-32 1992.
-  H. P. Kunzi, H. G. Tzschach, and C. A. Zehnder, “Numerical methods of mathematical optimization with ALGOL and FORTRAN programs,” JUSE Press, pp. 77-83, 1969 (in Japanese).
-  A. Pedott, V. V. Krishnan, and L. Stark, “Optimization of muscle-force sequencing in human locomotion,” Mathematical Biosciences, 38, pp. 57-76 1993.
-  Y. Ehara, M. Beppu, and S. Nomura, “Muscular efficiency during walking,” Journal of the Society of Biomechanisms Japan, 9, pp. 93-104, 1989.
-  Y. Ehara et al., “Estimation of energy consumption during level walking,” Journal of the Society of Biomechanisms Japan, 10, pp. 163-172, 1989.
-  Y. Ehara, “Dynamic model of muscle and estimate of muscle tension,” Japanese Society of Biomechanics Text, pp. 40-48, 1994.
-  N. Ogihara, and Yamazaki, “Generation of spontaneous reaching movement based on human anatomical constraints,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, 67-659, pp. 2314-2320, 2001.
-  M. Ohashi, Y. Ehara, Y. Kunimi, M. Beppu, S. Nomura, T. Tsuchiya, and K. Soma, “Energy cost measurement of paraplegic swing-through ambulation by a mathematical link model,” The Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Biomechanism, 11, pp. 309-318, 1999.
-  A. V. Hill, and R. C. Sec, “The heat of shortening and the dynamic constants of muscle,” Proc. of the Royal Society of London, Series B, pp. 135-195, 1938.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.