Simulator for Optimal Wheelchair Design
Makoto Sasaki*1, Takumi Kimura*2, Kiyomi Matsuo*3,
Goro Obinata*4, Takehiro Iwami*5, Kazuto Miyawaki*6,
and Kazuo Kiguchi*1
*1Department of Advanced Systems Control Engineering, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saga University, 1 Honjomachi, Saga-shi, Saga, 840-8502, Japan
*2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Saga University, 1 Honjomachi, Saga-shi, Saga, 840-8502, Japan
*3Saga Medical School Faculty of Medicine, Saga University, 5-1-1 Nabeshima, Saga-shi, Saga 849-8501, Japan
*4Division of Integrated Research Projects, EcoTopia Science Institute, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa, Nagoya-shi, Aichi 464-8603, Japan
*5Department of Mechanical Engineering, Akita University, Tegatagakuen-cho Akita-shi, Akita 010-0852, Japan
*6Akita Prefectural R&D Center, 4-21 Sanuki, Araya-cho, Akita-shi, Akita 010-1623, Japan
This paper presents an adaptive simulator for a manual wheelchair to reduce the user’s upper limb load during wheelchair manipulation and to increase the efficiency of wheelchair propulsion. The proposed simulator provides an optimal position of the handrim/lever and the desired angular position of the seat and backrest of the wheelchair based on the user’s body function.
-  W. E. Pentland, and L.T. Twomey, “Upper limb function in persons with long-term paraplegia and implications for independence: part I,” Paraplegia, 32, pp. 211-218, 1994.
-  I. H. Sie, R.L. Waters, R. H. Adkins, and H. Gellman, “Upper extremity pain in postrehabilitation spinal cord injured patient,” Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 73, pp. 44-48 1992.
-  H. Gellman, D.R. Chandler, J. Petrasek, I. Sie, R. Adkins, and R.L. Waters, “Carpal tunnel syndrome in paraplegic patients,” J Bone Joint Surg, 70-4, pp. 517-519, 1988.
-  K. A. Curtis and D.A. Dillon, “Survey of wheelchair athletic injuries: Common patterns and prevention,” Paraplegia, 23, pp. 170-75, 1985.
-  R. A. Cooper, “Wheelchair selection and configuration,” Demos Medical Publishing, 1998.
-  B. Engstrom, “Ergonomics Wheelchairs and Positioning,” Miwa Shoten, 1994.
-  M. Sasaki, T. Iwami, G. Obinata, H. Doki, K. Miyawaki, and M. Kinjo, “Biomechanics analysis of the upper limb during wheelchair propulsion,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series C, 71-702, pp. 654-660, 2005.
-  H. Miura, M. Sasaki, G. Obinta, T. Iwami, and K. Hase, “Threedimensional motion analysis of upper limb for optimal design of wheelchair,” The Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Biomechanism, 18, pp. 89-100 2006.
-  M. Sasaki, T. Iwami, G. Obinata, K. Miyawaki, H. Miura, Y. Shimada, and K. Kiguchi, “Analysis of Wheelchair propulsion and hand force pattern based on manipulation ability of the upper limb,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series C, 73-732, pp. 2279-2286, 2007.
-  R. Niesing, R. Eijskoot, R. Kranse, A.H. den Ouden, J. Storm, H.E.J. Veeger, L.H.V. van der Woude, and C. J. Snijders, “Computer-controlled wheelchair ergometer,” Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 28, pp. 329-338, 1990.
-  Spinal Injuries Center, “Rehabilitation engineering research and development,” Annual Report of Spinal Injuries Center, Japan Labor Health and Welfare Organization, 1984.
-  S.-H. Wei, S.-L. Huang, C.-J. Jiang, and J.-C. Chiu, “Wrist kinematic characterization of wheelchair propulsion in various seating positions: implication to wrist pain,” Clinical Biomechanics, 18, pp. S46-S52, 2003.
-  M. Kinjo, T. Iwami, D. Hitoshi, M. Sasaki, G. Nakamichi, G., K. Miyawaki, and O. Goro, “The evaluation for manual wheelchair propulsion efficiency in the rear wheel axle position,” The 18th Japanese Conf. on the Advancement of Assistive and Rehabilitation Technology, pp. 21-22, 2003.
-  L. B. Michael, L. S. Aaron, A.C. Rory, G. F. Shirley, M. K. Alicia, and T.F. Brian, “Propulsion patterns and pushrim biomechanics in manual wheelchair propulsion,” Phys. Med. Rehabil., 83, pp. 718-723, 2002.
-  J. M. Sara, F. Shawn, J. N. Craig, and P. Jacquelin, “Effects of spinal cord injury level on the activity of shoulder muscles during wheelchair propulsion: An electromyographic study,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., 85, pp. 925-934, 2004.
-  W. T. Eric, F. M. Arthur, N. L. Wai, MPhil, H. E. John, and Y. C. York, “Pelvic movement and interface pressure distribution during manual wheelchair propulsion,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., 84, pp. 1466-1772, 2003.
-  H. E. J. Veeger, L. A. Rozendaal, and F. C. T. van der Helm, “Load on the shoulder in low intensity wheelchair propulsion,” Clinical Biomechanics, 17, pp. 211-218, 2002.
-  E. B. Claire, M. Leslie, and S. Marion, “Energy cost of propulsion in standard and ultralight wheelchair in people with spinal cord injuries,” Physical Therapy, 79-2, pp. 146-158, 1999.
-  M. Ae, H. P. Tang, and T. Yokoi, “Estimation of inertia properties of the body segments in Japanese athletes,” The Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Biomechanism 11, pp. 23-32 1992.
-  H. P. Kunzi, H. G. Tzschach, and C. A. Zehnder, “Numerical methods of mathematical optimization with ALGOL and FORTRAN programs,” JUSE Press, pp. 77-83, 1969 (in Japanese).
-  A. Pedott, V. V. Krishnan, and L. Stark, “Optimization of muscle-force sequencing in human locomotion,” Mathematical Biosciences, 38, pp. 57-76 1993.
-  Y. Ehara, M. Beppu, and S. Nomura, “Muscular efficiency during walking,” Journal of the Society of Biomechanisms Japan, 9, pp. 93-104, 1989.
-  Y. Ehara et al., “Estimation of energy consumption during level walking,” Journal of the Society of Biomechanisms Japan, 10, pp. 163-172, 1989.
-  Y. Ehara, “Dynamic model of muscle and estimate of muscle tension,” Japanese Society of Biomechanics Text, pp. 40-48, 1994.
-  N. Ogihara, and Yamazaki, “Generation of spontaneous reaching movement based on human anatomical constraints,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, 67-659, pp. 2314-2320, 2001.
-  M. Ohashi, Y. Ehara, Y. Kunimi, M. Beppu, S. Nomura, T. Tsuchiya, and K. Soma, “Energy cost measurement of paraplegic swing-through ambulation by a mathematical link model,” The Society of Biomechanisms Japan, Biomechanism, 11, pp. 309-318, 1999.
-  A. V. Hill, and R. C. Sec, “The heat of shortening and the dynamic constants of muscle,” Proc. of the Royal Society of London, Series B, pp. 135-195, 1938.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.