Biped Landing Pattern Modification Method and Walking Experiments in Outdoor Environment
Kenji Hashimoto*, Yusuke Sugahara**, Hun-Ok Lim***,*****,
and Atsuo Takanishi****,*****
*Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, 3-4-1 Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
**Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, 6-6-01, Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
***Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kanagawa University, 3-27-1 Rokkakubashi, Kanagawa-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 221-8686, Japan
****Department of Modern Mechanical Engineering, Waseda University, 3-4-1 Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
*****Humanoid Robotics Institute (HRI), Waseda University, 17-41-2-04A Kikui-cho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0044, Japan
Many researchers have studied walking stability control for biped robots, most of which involve highly precise acceleration controls based on robot model mechanics. Modeling error, however, makes the control algorithms used difficult to apply to biped walking robots intended to transport human users. The “landing pattern modification method” we propose is based on nonlinear admittance control. Theoretical compliance displacement calculated from walking patterns is compared to actual compliance displacement, when a robot’s foot contacts slightly uneven terrain. Terrain height is detected and the preset walking pattern is modified accordingly. The new biped foot we also propose forms larger support polygons on uneven terrain than conventional biped foot systems do. Combining our new modification method and foot, a human-carrying biped robot can traverse uneven terrain, as confirmed in walking experiments.
and Atsuo Takanishi, “Biped Landing Pattern Modification Method and Walking Experiments in Outdoor Environment,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.20, No.5, pp. 775-784, 2008.
-  Y. Sugahara, et al., “Control and Experiments of a Multi-purpose Bipedal Locomotor with Parallel Mechanism,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA 2003, pp. 4342-4347, Taipei, Taiwan, September, 2003.
-  Y. Sugahara, et al., “Realization of Dynamic Human-Carrying Walking by a Biped Locomotor,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA 2004, pp. 3055-3060, New Orleans, USA, April, 2004.
-  K. Takita, et al., “Fundamental mechanism of dinosaur-like robot TITRUS-II utilizing coupled drive,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ IROS 2000, pp. 1670-1675, Takamatsu, Japan, October, 2000.
-  Y. Ota, T. Tamaki, K. Yoneda, and S. Hirose, “Development of walking manipulator with versatile locomotion,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA 2003, pp. 477-483, Taipei, Taiwan, September, 2003.
-  Y. Konuma and S. Hirose, “Development of 2 types of leg-wheel vehicle with the function of stable stair-climbing,” Proc. of the 8th RSJ/JSME/SICE Robotics Symposia, pp. 160-167, Shizuoka, Japan, March, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Takeda, M. Higuchi, and H. Funabashi, “Development of a walking chair (Fundamental investigations for realizing a practical walking chair),” Proc. of the CLAWAR2001, pp. 1037-1044, Karlsruhe, Germany, September, 2001.
-  T. Kamada, “My Agent: A Practical Personal Assistant,” Proc. of the JSME ROBOMEC ’94, pp. 1107-1112, Kobe, Japan, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  Toyota Motor Corporation Webpage,
-  J.-Y. Kim, J. Lee, and J.-H. Oh, “Experimental Realization of Dynamic Walking for a Human-Riding Biped Robot, HUBO FX-1,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.21, No.3-4, pp. 461-484, 2007.
-  Independence Technology, L.L.C.Webpage,
-  K. Nagasaka, M. Inaba, and H. Inoue, “Stabilization of Dynamic Walk on a Humanoid Using Torso Position Compliance Control,” Proc. of 17th Annual Conf. on Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 1193-1194, 1999.
-  J. H. Park and H. C. Cho, “An On-line Trajectory Modifier for the Base Link of Biped Robots to Enhance Locomotion Stability,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA2000, pp. 3353-3358, San Francisco, USA, April, 2000.
-  R. Yoshino, “Stabilizing Control of High-Speed Walking Robot by Walking Pattren Regulator,” In Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.18, No.8, pp.1122-1132, 2000.
-  Y. Sugahara, et al., “Waling Control Method of Biped Locomotors on Inclined Plane,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA2005, pp. 1989-1994, Barcelona, Spain, April, 2005.
-  S. Kajita and K. Tani, “Adaptive gait control of a biped robot based on realtime sensing of the ground,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA 1996, pp. 570-577, Minneapolis, USA, April, 1996.
-  J. Yamaguchi, A. Takanishi, and I. Kato, “Experimental Development of a Foot Mechanism with Shock Absorbing Material for Acquisition of Landing Surface Position Information and Stabilization of Dynamic Biped Walking,” Proc. of the IEEE ICRA 1995, pp. 2892-2899, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan, May, 1995.
-  M. Vukobratovic and J. Stepanenko, “On the Stability of Anthropomorphic Systems,” Mathematical Biosciences, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 1-37, 1972.
-  K. Hashimoto, et al., “Development of New Foot System Adaptable to Uneven Terrain for All Biped Robots,” Proc. of the 17th CISM-IFToMM Symposium on Robot Design, Dynamics and Control (ROMANSY2008), pp. 391-398, Tokyo, Japan, July, 2008.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.