Methods to Estimate Magnetic Declination for an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
Hiroaki Nakanishi, Sayaka Kanata, Tetsuo Sawaragi,
and Yukio Horiguchi
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Science, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, Yoshidahonmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501, Japan
Measurement of the heading free from magnetic declination using several GPS antennas is widely used, but it is not suitable for small unmanned aerial vehicles because of limited payload and body length. In this paper, we propose two methods to estimate magnetic declination. One is for UAV for 3D terrain mapping with a laser scanner. Measurements which are collected from different directions are matched to estimate magnet declination. The other uses an IMU and one GPS antenna. It consists of 1) estimation of acceleration of motion from GPS measurements and 2) estimation of magnetic declination using the estimated acceleration and IMU measurement. We show that the estimation of magnetic declination results in reduced QUEST, an eigenvalue problem of a 2 × 2 real matrix using a quaternion which expresses rotation. Experimental results of flight control of an unmanned helicopter demonstrate the effectiveness of proposed methods.
-  A. Bicchi, “Hands for Dexterous Manipulation and Robust Grasping: a Difficult Road Towards Simplicity,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.16, No.6, pp. 652-662, 2000.
-  A. M. Okamura, N. Smaby, and M. R. Cutkosky, “An Overview of Dextrous Manipulation,” Proc. of the 2000 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 255-262, 2000.
-  K. B. Shimoga, “Robot Grasp Synthesis Algorithms: A Survey,” Int. Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 230-266, 1996.
-  R. O. Ambrose et al., “Robonaut: NASA’s Space Humanoid,” IEEE Intelligent Systems, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 57-63, 2000.
-  C. Borst, M. Fischer, S. Haidacher, H. Liu, and G. Hirzinger, “DLR Hand II: Experiments and Experiences with an Anthropomorphic Hand,” Proc. of 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 684-689, 2003.
-  K. Hoshino and I. Kawabuchi, “ Pinching with Finger Tips in Humanoid Robot Hand,” Prtoc. of the 12th Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics (ICAR’05), pp. 705-712, 2005.
-  S. C. Jacobsen, J. E. Wood, D. F. Knutti, and K. B. Biggers, “The UTAH/M.I.T Dextrous Hand: Work in Progress,” Int. Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.3, No.4, pp.21-50, 1984.
-  K. Kaneko, K. Harada, and F. Kanehiro, “Development of Multifingered Hand for Life-size Humanoid Robots,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2007), pp. 913-920, 2007.
-  H. Kawasaki, T. Komatsu and K. Uchiyama, “Dexterous Anthropomorphic Robot Hand with Distributed Tactile Sensor: Gifu Hand III,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 296-303, 2002.
-  A. Namiki, Y. Imai, M. Ishikawa, and M. Kaneko, “Development of a High-speed Multifingered Hand System and Its Application to Catching,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2003), pp. 2666-2671, 2003.
-  Shadow Robot Company, “Shadow Dexterous Hand C5 -Technical Specification,” 2006.
-  I. Yamano and T. Maeno, “Five-fingered Robot Hand using Ultrasonic Motors and Elastic Elements,” Proc. of the 2005 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2005), pp. 2673-2678, 2005.
-  M. Vande Weghe, M. Rogers, M. Weissert, and Y. Matsuoka, “The ACT Hand: Design of the Skeletal Structure,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3375-3379, 2004.
-  Y. Yamakawa, A. Namiki, M. Ishikawa, and M. Shimojo, “Onehanded Knotting of a Flexible Rope with a High-speed Multifingered Hand having Tactile Sensors,” Proc. of the 2007 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2007), pp. 703-708, 2007.
-  J.-H. Bae, S. Arimoto, M. Sekimoto, and R. Ozawa, “Dexterity and Versatility in Pinching Motion of Robot Fingers With Multi- Degrees of Freedom,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 137-163, 2006.
-  D. J. Balkcom and M. T. Mason, “Introducing Robotic Origami Folding,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3245-3250, 2004.
-  H. Shingu, Origami Club.
-  H. Banda, “Origami for Seasons,” Tokyo-Shoseki, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kitamura, “The Book about Origami,” Graph, Ltd., 1994 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kobayashi, “Origami of Japanese Paper Folding,” Ondori Company, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  Origami Challenge 100, Jisyukan.
-  COSMO NET, Youji Corporation.
-  Y. Kamotani and Y. Yokokoji, “Analysis of Origami Manipulation and its Realization by a Robotic Hand,” JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 2P1 D37, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/opencv/index.htm/
-  Y. Kamotani, K. Tanaka, and Y. Yokokoji, “Task-oriented Robotic Hand Design and Realization of the Target Task –A Case Study of Origami Folding–,” Proc of the 24th Annual Conf. of the Robotics Society of Japan, 2C12, 2006 (in Japanese).
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Kamotani, and Y. Yokokohji, “Origami Folding by a Robotic Hand,” Proc. 2007 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS 2007), San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 2540-2547, 2007.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.