1 ms Soft Areal Tactile Giving Robots Soft Response
Toshiharu Mukai and Yo Kato
Bio-mimetic Control Research Center, the Institute of Physical and Chemical Research (RIKEN), 2271-130 Anagahora, Shimoshidami, Moriyama-ku, Nagoya 463-0003, Japan
Human-interactive robots such as those used for nursing should be covered with soft areal tactile sensors for safety and dexterous manipulation. We are developing a human-interactive robot named RI-MAN that is covered with soft areal tactile sensors. The sensors used so far had a sampling period of 15 ms, which is insufficient for smooth sensor feedback response. Here we report our new tactile sensors with 1 ms sampling and improved sensitivity, as well as its experimental results.
-  T. Odashima, M. Onishi, K. Tahara, K. Takagi, F. Asano, Y. Kato, H. Nakashima, Y. Kobayashi, Z. W. Luo, T. Mukai, and S. Hosoe, “A soft human-interactive robot — RI-MAN —,” in Video Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2006.
-  M. Onishi, Z. W. Luo, T. Odashima, S. Hirano, K. Tahara, and T. Mukai, “Generation of human care behaviors by human-interactive robot RI-MAN,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3128-3129, 2007.
-  T. Odashima, M. Onishi, K. Tahara, T. Mukai, S. Hirano, Z. Luo, and S. Hosoe, “Development and evaluation of a human-interactive robot platform ‘RI-MAN’,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 554-565, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  K. Suzuki, “High-density tactile sensor arrays,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 283-287, 1993.
-  R. J. D. Souza and K. D.Wise, “A very high density bulk micromachined capacitive tactile imager,” in Proc. Int. Conf. on Solid-State Sensors and Actuators, pp. 1473-1476, 1997.
-  K. Nakamura and H. Shinoda, “A tactile sensor instantaneously evaluating friction coefficients,” in Proc. Int. Conf. on Solid-State Sensors and Actuators, Vol.2, pp. 1430-1433, 2001.
-  D. Yamada, T.Maeno, and Y. Yamada, “Artificial finger skin having ridges and distributed tactile sensors used for grasp force control,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 140-146, 2002.
-  M. Shimojo, A. Namiki, M. Ishikawa, R. Makino, and K. Mabuchi, “A tactile sensor sheet using pressure conductive rubber with electrical-wires stitched method,” IEEE Sensor Journal, Vol.4, No.5, 2004.
-  Web page of Tekscan,
-  E. M. Reimer and L. Danisch, “Pressure sensor based on illumination of a deformable integrating cavity,” U.S. Patent 5917180, Jul. 16, 1999.
-  V. J. Lumelsky, M. S. Shur, and S. Wagner, “Sensitive skin,” IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 41-51, 2001.
-  M. Inaba, Y. Hoshino, K. Nagasaka, T. Ninomiya, S. Kagami, and H. Inoue, “A full-body tactile sensor suit using electrically conductive fabric and strings,” in Proc. Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 450-457, 1996.
-  R. Tajima, S. Kagami, M. Inaba, and H. Inoue, “Development of soft and distributed tactile sensors and the application to a humanoid robot,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 381-397, 2002.
-  T. Kanda, H. Ishiguro, T. Ono, M. Imai, and R. Nakatsu, “Development and evaluation of an interactive humanoid robot ‘Robovie’,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4166-4173, 2002.
-  N. Mitsunaga, T.Miyashita, H. Ishiguro, K. Kogure, and N. Hagita, “Robovie-IV: A communication robot interacting with people daily in an office,” in Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 5066-5072, 2006.
-  Y. Ohmura, Y. Kuniyoshi, and A. Nagakubo, “Conformable and scalable tactile sensor skin for curved surfaces,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1348-1353, 2006.
-  T. Mukai, “Soft areal tactile sensors with embedded semiconductor pressure sensors in a structured elastic body,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Sensors, pp. 1518-1521, 2004.
-  T. Mukai, “Development of soft areal tactile sensor on curved surfaces,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 14-18, 2005.
-  T. Mukai, M. Onishi, S. Hirano, and Z. W. Luo, “Development of Soft Areal Tactile Sensors for Human-Interactive Robots,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Sensors, pp. 831-834, 2006.
-  H. Iwata and S. Sugano, “A system design for tactile recognition of human-robot contact state,” in Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 7-12, 2003.
-  T. Tajika, T. Miyashita, H. Ishiguro, and N. Hagita, “Automatic categorization of haptic interactions — What are the typical haptic interactions between a human and a robot?,” in Proc. IEEE-RAS Int. Conf. on Humanoid Robots, pp. 490-496, 2006.
-  R. P. Paul, “Robot manipulators: Mathematics, programming, and control,” MIT Press, 1981.
-  The Robotics Society of Japan (Ed.), “Robotics handbook — 2nd ed.,” pp. 652-654, CORONA Publishing, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  M. Shimojo, “Mechanical filtering effect of elastic cover for tactile sensor,” IEEE Trans. Robotics and Automation, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 128-132, 1997.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.