Adaptive Modular Robots Through Heterogeneous Inter-Module Connections
Masahiro Shimizu*, Takuma Kato*, Max Lungarella**,
and Akio Ishiguro*
*Department of Electrical and Communication Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-05 Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
**Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, University of Zurich, 8050 Zurich, Switzerland
-  M. Yim, W. -E. Shen, B. Salemi, D. Rus, M. Moll, H. Lipson, E. Klavins, and G. S. Chirikjian, “Modular self-reconfigurable robot systems,” IEEE Robotics and Systems Magazine, Vol.3, pp. 43-53, 2007.
-  V. Zykov, M. Efstathios, M. Desnoyer, and H. Lipson, “Evolved and designed self-reproducing modular robotics,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 308-319, 2007.
-  M.Yim, C. Eldershaw, Y. Zhang, and D. Duff, “Self-reconfigurable robot systems: PolyBot,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.21, No.8, pp. 851-854, 2003.
-  A. Castano, W. -M. Shen, and P.Will, “CONRO: Towards miniature self-sufficient metamorphic robots,” Autonomous Robots, pp. 309-324, 2000.
-  S. Murata, K. Kakomura, and H. Kurokawa, “Docking experiments of a modular robot by visual feedback,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 625-630, 2006.
-  A. Ishiguro, M. Shimizu, and T. Kawakatsu, “Don’t try to control everything! An emergent morphology control of a modular robot,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 981-985, 2004.
-  G. Beni and J. Wang, “Theoretical Problems for the Realization of Distributed Robotic Systems,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1914-1920, 1991.
-  M. S. Steinberg, “Reconstruction of tissues by dissociated cells,” Science, Vol.141, No.3579, pp. 401-408, 1963.
-  F. Graner and J. A. Glazier, “Simulation of biological cell sorting using a two-dimensional extended Potts model,” Physical Review Letters, Vol.69, No.13, pp.2013-2016, 1992.
-  A. Ishiguro and T. Kawakatsu, “How Should Control and Body Systems be Coupled? —A Robotic Case Study— , Lecture Notes in Computer Science (Eds. F. Iida, R. Pfeifer, L. Steels, and Y. Kuniyoshi),” Springer, pp. 107-118, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.