Overload Protection Mechanisms for Force Detecting Beam in a Force Sensor
Koyu Abe and Masaru Uchiyama
Department of Aerospace Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, Aoba-yama 6-6-01, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
Overload prevention is important in force sensors to avoid fatal damage due to unexpected external impact. Until now, some mechanisms using screws or straight pins have been proposed for preventing damage to the sensor. However, nothing has been reported regarding the utility of this mechanism. The unidirectional force sensor based on an H-slit type parallel beam we proposed in previous work. This sensor structure alone can be realized for overload prevention without any other parts and can be embedded as overload protection mechanism in the structure. In this paper, we verify the utility of conventional type’s mechanisms and evaluate the usefulness of the slit type one which we have developed.
-  D. M. Stefanescu, T. Manescu, and I. Ion, “Strain Gauges Emplacement Possibilities for Force/Torque Transducers in Robotics,” IMEKO-XV World Congress, Vol.10, pp. 117-124, 1999.
-  C. R. Flatau, “Force Sensing in Robots and Manipulators,” Proc. 2nd Int. CISM IFT. MM Symp. On the Theory and Practice of Robots and Manipulators, pp. 294-306, 1976.
-  K. Abe, T. Miwa, and M. Uchiyama, “Development of a 3-axis Planer Force/Torque Sensor for Very Small Force/Torque measurement,” JSME Int. Journal Series C, Vol.42, No.2, pp. 376-382, 1999.
-  Y. Hatamura, “Multi-Axis Force Sensors and their Applications,” Journal of the Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.57, No.10, pp. 47-53, 1991. (in Japanese)
-  K. Abe, Y. Tanida, A. Konno, and M. Uchiyama, “FEM Analysis of a Directional Deflection Sensor Beam Structure for Small Force/Torque Measurement,” Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Precision Engineering 2004 (ICoPE2004), pp. 628-634, 2004.
-  M. Yokota, “Study on Dynamic Force Sensor for Robot Manipulator,” Master’s Thesis of Tohoku University, 1985. (in Japanese)
-  B/L AUTOTEC Ltd., “Technical Catalog of Force/Torque Sensor,” 2007.
-  A. Konno, Y. Tanida, K. Abe, and M. Uchiyama, “A Plantar Hslit Force Sensor for Humanoid Robots to Detect the Reaction Forces,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2005), pp. 1470-1475, 2005.
-  T. Oiwa and T. Sugimoto, “Shape Optimization for Flexure Hinges,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.63, No.10, pp. 1454-1458, 1995. (in Japanese)
-  W. Xu and T. King, “Flexure Hinges for Piezo Actuator Displacement Amplifiers: Flexibility, Accuracy, and Stress Consideration,” Precision Engineering, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 4-10, 1996.
-  J. M. Paros and L. Weisbord, “Flexure Hinges,” Machine Design, November, pp. 151-156, 1965.
-  N. H. Cook, E. Gloewen, and M. C. Shaw, “Machine-tool Dynamometers,” American Machinist, pp. 125-129, 1954.
-  S. Shiozaki and M. Miyazaki, “New Designs of Dynamometers,” Journal of the Society for Precision Engineering, Vol.35, No.7, pp. 41-46, 1969. (in Japanese)
-  A. Menciassi, A. Eisinberg, M. C. Carrozza, and P. Dario, “Force Sensing Micro Instrument for Measuring Tissue,” IEEE/ASME TRANS-ACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 10-17, 2003.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.