Robot Hand Imitating Disabled Person for Education/Training of Rehabilitation
Tetsuya Mouri*, Haruhisa Kawasaki*, Yutaka Nishimoto**,
Takaaki Aoki**, Yasuhiko Ishigure***, and Makoto Tanahashi*
* Department of Human Information System, Gifu University, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1193, Japan
** Gifu University School of Medicine, 1-1 Yanagido, Gifu 501-1194, Japan
*** Marutomi Seiko Co., Ltd.,3147-7 Aza Ikuda, Kurachi, Seki, 501-3936 Japan
Because rehabilitation therapy students have few chances to train on disabled persons, we developed a robot hand for finger and wrist rehabilitation training, working hand with doctors and therapists, based on new design concepts imitating the disabled human hand. A joint torque rehabilitation program is calculated using distributed tactile sensors and a model of contracture joints with tendon adhesion. The hand is controlled by the force control based on torque control. The hand’s effectiveness was demonstrated experimentally, and the robot is used by therapists to evaluate its efficacy.
-  D. Jack, R. Boian, A. S. Merians, M. Tremaine, G. C. Burdea, S. V. Adamovich, M. Recce, and H. Poinzner, “Virtual Reality-Enhanced Stroke Rehabilitation,” IEEE Transaction on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 308-318, 2001.
-  R. C. V. Loureiro, C. F. Collin, and W. S. Harwin, “Robot Aided Therapy: Challenges Ahead for Upper Limb Stroke Rehabilitation,” Proc. of the 13th Int. Conf. on Artificial Reality and Telexistance, pp. 215-221, 2003.
-  K. Koyanagi, Y. Imada, J. Furusho, U. Ryu, A. Inoue, and K. Takenaka, “Development of VR-STEF System with Force Display Glove System,” Proc. of the 15th Int. Conf. on Artificial Reality and Telexistence, 2005, (CD-ROM).
-  M. Mulas, M. Folgheraiter, and G. Gini, “An EMG-Controlled Exoskeleton for Hand Rehabilitation,” 9th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 371-374, 2005.
-  M. Bouzit, G. Burdea, G. Popescu, and R. Boian, “The Rutgers Master II-New Design Force-Feedback Glove,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol.7, No.2, pp. 256-263, 2002.
-  S. Ito, H. Kawasaki, Y. Ishigure, M. Natsume, T. Mouri, and Y. Nishimoto, “A Design of Fine Motion Assist Equipment for Disabled Hand in Robotic Rehabilitation System,” Proc. of Fourth Int. Symposium on Mechatronics and its Applications, 2007, (CDROM).
-  L. Dovat, O. Lambercy, Y. Ruffieux, D. Chapuis, R. Gassert, H. Bleuler, CL. Teo, and E. Burdet, “A Haptic Knob for Rehabilitation of Stroke Patients,” Proc. of IROS2006, pp. 977-982, 2006.
-  S. Makita, S. Uraoka, Y. Masutani, and A. Nishimura, “Development of Leg Robot for Training of Physical Therapist Students,” Proc. of 23st Annual Conf. of Robotics Society of Japan, 1J34, 2005.
-  T. Fujisawa, L. Hokyo, M.Takagi, T. Takahashi, K. Inoue, T. Terada, Y. Adachi, Y. Kawakami, and T. Komeda, “Basic Research on a Upper Limb Patient Simulator,” Proc. of the 2006 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, 1P2-A20, 2006.
-  K. Umebayashi, H. Kawasaki, T. Mouri, Y. Nishimoto, and H. Hayashi, “Hand Rehabilitation Training System,” Proc. of 22st Annual Conf. of Robotics Society of Japan, 3H27, 2004.
-  S. C. Jacobsen, J. E. Wood, D. F. Knutti, and K. B. Biggers, “The Utah/MIT dexterous hand: Work in progress,” Int. Journal of Robot Research, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 21-50, 1984.
-  B. M. Jau, “Dexterous Telemanipulation with Four Fingered Hand System,” Proc. of IEEE Robot and Automation, pp. 338-343, 1995.
-  K. J. Kyriakopoulos, A. Zink, and H. E. Stephanou, “Kinematic Analysis and Position/Force Control of the Anthrobot Dextrous Hand,” Transaction on System, Man, and Cybernetics-Part B: cybernetics, Vol.27, No.1, pp. 95-104, 1997.
-  G. A. Bekey, R. Tomovic, and I. Zeljkovic, “Control Architecture for the Bergrade/USC hand,” In S. T. Venkataraman and T. Iberall(Editors), Dexterous Robot Hand, Springer Verlay, pp. 136-149, 1990.
-  L. R. Lin and H. P. Huang, “Integrating Fuzzy Control of the Dexterous National Taiwan University (NTU) Hand,” IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 216-229, 1996.
-  J. Butterfass, M. Grebenstein, H. Liu, and G. Hirzinger, “DLRHand II: Next Generation of a Dextrous Robot Hand,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotic and Automation, pp. 109-114, 2001.
-  A. Namiki, Y. Imai, M. Ishikawa, and M. Kanneko, “Development of a High-speed Multifingered Hand System and Its Application to Catching,” Proc. of IROS2003, pp. 2666-2671, 2003.
-  I. Yamano, K. Takemura, and T. Maeno, “Development of a Robot Finger for Five-fingered Hand using Ultrasonic Motors,” Proc. of IROS2003, pp. 2648-2653, 2003.
-  M. V. Weghe, M. Rogers, M. Weissert, and Y. Matsuoka, “The ACT Hand: Design of the Skeletal Structure,” Proc. ICRA2004, pp. 3375-3379, 2004.
-  H. Kawasaki and T. Komatsu, “Mechanism Design of Anthropomorphic Robot Hand:Gifu Hand I,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 269-273, 1999.
-  H. Kawasaki, T. Komatsu, and K. Uchiyama, “Dexterous Anthropomorphic Robot Hand with Distributed Tactile Sensor: Gifu Hand II,” IEEE/ASME Transaction on Mechatronics, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 296-303, 2002.
-  T. Mouri, H. Kawasaki, and S. Ito, “Unknown Object Grasping Strategy Imitating Human Grasping Reflex for Anthropomorphic Robot Hand,” Journal of Advanced Mechanical Design, Systems, and Manufacturing, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 1-11, 2007.
-  T. Mouri, H. Kawasaki, and K. Umebayashi, “Developments of New Anthropomorphic Robot Hand and its Master Slave System,” Proc. of IROS2005, pp. 3474-3479, 2005.
-  M. Akai, “Joint Contracture: Its Prevention and Treatment,” The Japanese Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.40, No.1, pp. 76-80, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  Research Institute of Human Engineering for Quality Life, “Human Body dimensions Data for Ergonomic Design,” Japan Publication Service Co., 1996 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yano, A. Inamura, R. Watanabe, and M. Agawa, “Torque Characteristics of Manual Load in Passive ROM Exercise for Knee Contracture,” The Journal of Japanese Physical Therapy Association, Vol.28, No.7, pp. 332-337, 2001, (in Japanese).
-  C. Glasgow, J.Wilton, and L. Tooth, “Optimal daily total end range time for contracture: resolution in hand splinting,” Journal of Hand Therapy, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 207-218, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.