Four-Legged Mechanism for Realizing Dynamic Running –Design of Prototype with Drive System that Enables Dynamic Locomotion Change –
Kazuo Morita*,** and Hidenori Ishihara*
*Department of Intelligent Mechanical Systems Engineering, Kagawa University, Kagawa, Japan
**Fellow (DC1), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
This paper discusses the mechanism to realize the possibility of both walking and running by a single robot, made by a combined mechanism of linkages and actuators. This linkage mechanism has actuators below the number of joints; therefore, it enables to reduce the weight of the robot. This study aims at realizing the four-legged locomotion by controlling the phase to manipulate the legs made by linkage mechanism. First, this paper shows the designing of leg mechanism with effective linkage systems. Additionally, the kinematics simulator is developed and the performance of the prototype is tested. As a result, the effectiveness of these linkage systems has been confirmed, though some issues were found.
-  K. Kato and S. Hirose, “Development of Quadruped Walking Robot, TITAN-IX –Mechanical Design Concept and Application for the Humanitarian Demining Robot–,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 191-204, 2001.
-  H. Kimura and Y. Fukuoka, “Biologically Inspired Adaptive Dynamic Walking in Outdoor Environment Using a Self-contained Quadruped Robot: ’Tekken2’,” Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS2004), September, 2004.
-  K. Kadomae, Y. Tokuyama, K. Shibuya, K. Tsutsumi, and T. Iwamoto, “Realization of Trot Gait by Bio-Mimetic 4-legged Running Robot Ryuma equipped with Torsion Coil Springs in the Leg Joints,” ROBOMEC, June, 2005.
-  K. Morita and H. Ishihara, “4-Legged Mechanism of Realizing Dynamic Running, –Comparison of Movement Performance by Change of Locomotion Pattern–,” ICMA, 2006.
-  M. Lasa and M. Buehler, “Dynamic Compliant Quadruped Walking,” ICRA, May, 2001.
-  R. C. Luo, S. H. H. Phang, and K. L. Su, “Multilevel Multisensor Based Decision Fusion for Intelligent Animal Robot,” ICRA, May, 2001.
-  K. Takita, T. Katayama, and S. Hirose, “The Efficacy of the Neck and Tail of Miniature Dinosaur-like Robot TITRUS-3,” IROS, October, 2002.
-  G. Figliolini, M. Ceccarelli, and M. D. Gioia, “Descending Stairs with EP-WAR3 Biped Robot,” AIM, 2003.
-  B. Kim, H. Y. Lim, K. D. Kim, Y. Jeong, and J. O. Park, “A Locomotive Mechanism for a Robotic Colonoscope,” IROS, October, 2002.
-  J. E. Clark, J. G. Cham, S. A. Bailey, E. M. Froehich, P. K. Nahata, R. J. Full, andM. R. Cutkosky, “Biomimetic Design and Fabrication of a Hexapedal Running Robot,” ICRA, May, 2001.
-  L. R. Pamer III, and D. E. Orin, “Control of a 3D Quadruped Trot,” CLAWAR, 2005.
-  D. P. Krasny and D. E. Orin, “A 3D Galloping Quadruped Robot,” CLAWAR, 2005.
-  M. F. Silva and J. A. T. Machado, “Energy Efficiency of Quadruped Gaits,” CLAWAR,, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.