A Detection System of Location and Direction Angle by a RF Tag Reader Using a Rotary Antenna
Takashi Asakawa*, Kazue Nishihara**, and Tadashi Yoshidome**
*Graduate School of Engineering, Kanagawa Institute of Technology
**Faculty of Engineering, Kanagawa Institute of Technology, 1030 Shimo-ogino, Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-0292, Japan
This paper describes the method of presuming the angle of moving direction of an electric wheelchair by reading information of RF tags put on a floor using a rotary antenna, which is fixed underneath the wheelchair, revolving constantly above RF tags of the floor at a turning point. Our primary intention is to make a detection system of direction angle using RF tags for a voice controlled electric wheelchair. The voice instruction cannot give smooth nor detailed controls with ease unlike the joystick control. Because the voice control system can use only a few discrete instruction words. Thereby to assist smooth indoor motion, we proposed here a new method of automatic correction of the direction angle measured by the above rotary antenna and RF tags. We demonstrated experimentally to detect and correct the angle of moving direction when the wheelchair passes over the turning point, which was found to give accurate orientations.
This paper is the full translation from the transactions of JSME Vol.73, No.729.
-  J. A. Clark and R. B. Roemer, “Voice Controlled Wheelchair,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil., Vol.58, pp. 169-175, 1997.
-  G. E.Miller, T. E. Brown, andW. R. Randolph, “Voice controller for wheelchairs,” Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., Vol.23, No.6, pp. 597-600, 1985.
-  Q. Gao and K. Nishihara, “A voice control of a poweredwheelchair,” Technical report of IEICE, SSS2003-1, pp. 1-4, May 2003.
-  K. Ogawara and M. Tanaka, “Improvement of operativity of Voice Controlled Vehicles by Visual Feedback Control,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.70, No.689, pp. 158-163, 2004.
-  K. Nishihara et al., “Voice Control and Navigation of a Wheelchair2,” In Proc. of SICE System Integration Division Annual Conference (SI2005), SY0015, pp. 1221-1222.
-  K. Ogawara, T. Fukuda, and T. Naka, “A Real-Time Image Recognition Method for Downward Stairways Using Hough Transform,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series C, Vol.70, No.695, pp. 83-88, 2004.
-  J. C. Garcia, M. Marron, M. Mazo, and J. Urena, “Positioning and Localization System for Autonomous Wheelchairs,” Proc. of the 28th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IECON’02), pp. 1555-1560, 2002.
-  M.Maeda, H. Kogane, and S. Murakami, “Navigation Control of an Intelligent Wheelchair Using a Fuzzy Logic,” Journal of Biomedical Fuzzy Systems Association, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 11-29, 2002.
-  M. Choirul et al., “Detecting the Position Angle for an Autonomous Mobile Robot by a Gyro Sensor,” Reports of the Faculty of Engineering, Tottori University, Vol.27, pp. 25-36, 1996.
-  D. Hahnel, W. Burgard, D. Fox, K. Fishkin, and M. Philipose, “Mapping and Localization with RFID Technology,” In Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, New Orleans, LA, pp. 1015-1020, April 2004.
-  O. Kubitz, M. O. Berger, M. Perlick, and R. Dumoulin, “Application of Radio Frequency Identification Devices to Support Navigation of Autonomous mobile Robots,” Proc. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference VTC 97, pp. 126-130, 1997.
-  T. Hatase, K. Toda, and O. Matsumoto, “Intelligent wheelchair robot “TAO Aicle”,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 164-166, 2006.
-  T. Yoshidome, G.Wang, T. Asakawa, N. Kawarazaki, and K. Nishihara, “Measurement of Location and Direction Using IC Tags Applying to Indoor Navigation,” Proc. of the 2006 JSME Conference on Robotics and Mechatronics, Waseda, Japan, 2P2-A22, pp. 1-4.
-  K. Tanaka, Y. Kimuro, K. Yamano, M. Hirayama, E. Kondo, and M. Matsumoto, “Self-Localization with RFID System and Tag Arrangement,” The transactions of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, ISSN 09151923, pp. 1759-1770.
-  K. Finkenzeller, “RFID Handbook. The 2nd edition,” ISBN 4-526-05291-4, pp. 202-235, The Nikkan Kogyo Shinbun, LTD., 2004 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.