Dynamic Modeling of Nonlinear Systems Using Wavelet Networks
Wissam Hassouneh, Rached Dhaouadi, and Yousef Al-Assaf
School of Engineering, American University of Sharjah, P.O. Box 26666, Sharjah, UAE
The purpose of this paper is to present wavelet networks as a new scheme to model nonlinear systems. The capabilities of wavelet networks in function approximation make them appealing for system modeling. The wavelet networks presented are utilized in the dynamic modeling of a nonlinear servomechanism. A new wavelet network scheme is proposed for the identification of the nonlinearity in the servomechanism. Simulation results show the modeling performance of both schemes.
-  Q. Zhang and A. Benveniste, “Wavelet Networks,” IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks, 3, pp. 889-898, 1992.
-  Q. Zhang, “Regressor Selection and Wavelet Network Construction,” INRIA, Signal Processing, Automatic and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Project AS, No.1967, pp. 1-21, 1993.
-  Q. Zhang, “Using Wavelet Network in Nonparametric Estimation,” Signal Processing, Automatic and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, Project AS, No.833, pp. 1-44, 1994.
-  L. Sheng-Tun and C. Shu-Ching, “Function Approximation using Robust Wavelet Neural Networks,” Proc. of the 14th Int. Conf. on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, Washington, DC, pp. 483-488, 2002.
-  S. S. Iyengar, E. C. Cho, and V. V. Phoha, “Foundations of Wavelet Networks and Applications,” Chapman & Hall / CRC, 2002.
-  Y. Oussar, I. Rivals, L. Personnaz, and G. Dreyfus, “Training Wavelet Networks for Nonlinear Dynamic Input-Output Modeling,” Neurocomputing, 20, pp. 173-188, 1998.
-  Y. M. Cheng, B. S. Chen, and F. Y. Shiau, “Adaptive Wavelet Network Control Design for Nonlinear Systems,” Proc. Natl. Sci. Counc. ROC(A), 22, 6, pp. 783-799, 1998.
-  K. Kim and A. G. Parlos, “Induction Motor Fault Diagnosis Based on Neuropredictors and Wavelet Signal Processing,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 7, 2, pp. 201-219, 2002.
-  W. G. Zanardelli, E. G. Strangas, H. Khalil, and J. M. Miller, “Wavelet-based methods for the prognosis of mechanical and electrical failures in electric motors,” Journal of Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 19, Elsevier, pp. 411-426, 2005.
-  CE110 Servo Trainer User Manual, Megachem Co., Ltd., Japan.
-  W. Hassouneh, “Modeling and Control of Nonlinear Systems Using Wavelet Networks,” Master of Science Thesis in Mechatronics, School of Engineering, American University of Sharjah, December 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2008 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.