Evaluation of a Wearable Sensor System Monitoring Posture Changes and Activities for Use in Rehabilitation
Kosuke Motoi*, Shinobu Tanaka**, Yutaka Kuwae***,
Tadahiko Yuji***, Yuji Higashi***, Toshiro Fujimoto***,
and Ken-ichi Yamakoshi**
*Venture Business Laboratory, Kanazawa University, Kakuma-machi, Kanazawa 920-1192, Japan
**Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University
***Fujimoto Hayasuzu Hospital, 17-1 Hayasuzu-cho, Miyakonojyou-city, Miyazaki 885-0055, Japan
-  A. Hendry, W. Gilchrist, G. Duncan, A. L. Evans, and D. C. Smith, “Measurement of walking speed in elderly inpatients,” Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., 28-6, pp. 602-604, 1990.
-  H. Zhu, G. F. Harris, J. J. Wertsch, W. J. Tompkins, and J. G. Webster, “A microprocessor-based data-acquisition system for measuring plantar pressures from ambulatory subjects,” IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol.38, pp. 710-714, 1991.
-  J. O. Brooks, L. Friedman, D. L. Bliwise, and J. A. Yesavage, “Use of the wrist actigraph to study insomnia in older adults,” Sleep, Vol.16(2), pp. 151-155, 1993.
-  B. D. Evans and A. E. Rogers, “24-hour sleep/wake patterns in healthy elderly persons,” Applied Nursing Research, Vol.7(2), pp. 75-83, 1994.
-  R. Moe-Nilssen, “Test-retest reliability of trunk accelerometry during standing and walking,” Arch. Phys. Med. Rehab., Vol.79, pp. 1377-1385, 1998.
-  R. E. Mayagoitia, J. C. Lotters, P. H. Veltink, and H. Hermens, “Standing balance evaluation using a triaxial accelerometer,” Gait and Posture, Vol.16, pp. 55-59, 2002.
-  T. Tamura, M. Sekine, M. Ogawa, T. Togawa, and Y. Fukui, “Classification of acceleration waveforms during walking by wavelet transform,” Meth. Inform. Med., Vol.36, pp. 356-359, 1997.
-  M. Sekine, T. Tamura, M. Akay, T. Fujimoto, T. Togawa, and Y. Fukui, “Discrimination of walking patterns using wavelet-based fractal analysis,” IEEE Trans. Rehab. Eng., Vol.10(3), pp. 188-196, 2002.
-  M. Makikawa and H. Izumi, “Development of an ambulatory physical activity memory device and its application for the categorization of actions in daily life,” in Proc. Medinfo. ’95, pp. 747-750, 1995.
-  P. H. Veltink, B. J. Bussmann, D. Vries, L. J. Martens, and R. C. V. Lummel, “Detection of static and dynamic activities using uniaxial accelerometers,” IEEE Trans. Rehab. Eng., Vol.4, pp. 375-385, 1996.
-  J. Fahrenberg, F. Foerster, M. Smeja, and W. Muller, “Assessment of posture and motion by multichannel piezoresistive accelerometer recordings,” Psychophysiology, Vol.34, pp. 607-612, 1997.
-  B. Najafi, K. Aminian, A. Paraschiv-Ionescu, F. Loew, C. J. Bula, and P. Robert, “Ambulatory system for human motion analysis using a kinematic sensor: Monitoring of daily physical activity in the elderly,” IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol.50(6), pp. 711-723, 2003.
-  S. Miyazaki, “Long-term unrestrained measurement of stride length and walking velocity utilizing a piezoelectric gyroscope,” IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol.44(8), pp. 753-759, 1997.
-  K. Tong and M. H. Granat, “A practical gait analysis system using gyroscopes,” Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol.21, pp. 87-94, 1999.
-  K. Aminian, B. Najafi, C. Bula, P. F. Leyvraz, and Ph. Robert, “Spatio-temporal parameters of gait measured by an ambulatory system using miniature gyroscopes,” Journal of Biomechanics, Vol.35, pp. 689-699, 2002.
-  R. Williamson and B. J. Andrews, “Detecting absolute human knee angle and angular velocity using accelerometers and rate gyroscopes,” Med. Biol. Eng. Comput., Vol.39, pp. 1-9, 2001.
-  H. J. Luinge and P. H. Veltin, “Measuring orientation of human body segments using miniature gyroscopes and accelerometers,” Med. & Biol. Eng. & Comput., Vol.43, pp. 273-282, 2005.
-  H. Dejnabadi, B. M. Jolles, E. Casanova, P. Fua, and K. Aminian, “Estimation and visualization of sagittal kinematics of lower limbs orientation using body-fixed sensors,” IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol.53(7), pp. 1385-1393, 2006.
-  S. Tanaka, K. Yamakoshi, and P. Rolfe, “New portable instrument for long-term ambulatory monitoring of posture change using miniature electro-magnetic inclinometers,” Med. & Biol. Eng. & Comput., Vol.32, pp. 357-360, 1994.
-  K. Motoi, S. Tanaka, M. Nogawa, and K. Yamakoshi, “Evaluation of a new sensor system for ambulatory monitoring of human posture and walking speed using accelerometers and gyroscope,” SICE Annual Conference 2003 Proceedings, pp. 563-566, 2003.
-  K. Motoi, S. Tanaka, M. Nogawa, and K. Yamakoshi, “Evaluation of a new sensor system for ambulatory monitoring of human posture together with walking speed,” Transaction of the Japanese Society for Medical and Biological Engineering, Vol.41(4), pp. 35-41, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.