Evaluation and Development of Assistive Cart for Matching to User Walking
Kazuto Miyawaki*1, Takehiro Iwami*2, Yuuji Ogasawara*3,
Goro Obinata*4, and Yoichi Shimada*5
*1Akita R&D Center, 4-21 Sanuki, Araya-cho, Akita City, Akita 010-1623, Japan
*2Akita University, 1-1 Tegatagakuenn-cho, Akita 010-8520, Japan
*3Akita Prefectural R&D Center, 4-11 Sanuki, Araya-cho, Akita City, Akita 010-1623, Japan
*4EcoTopia Science Institute, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
*5Division of Orthopedic Surgery, Department of Neuro and Locomotor Science, Akita University School of Medicine, 1-1-1 Hondo, Akita 010-8543, Japan
As society ages, devices to assist human movement are attracting increasing attention. We evaluated a cart we developed to assist walking, calculating energy consumption based on a muscle-skeleton model. The cart decreased energy consumption by 6% in a normal gait. We expect our evaluation to be useful for developing a practical walker.
Goro Obinata, and Yoichi Shimada, “Evaluation and Development of Assistive Cart for Matching to User Walking,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.19, No.6, pp. 637-645, 2007.
-  S. Yamauchi, BME, Vol.12, No.8, pp. 1-8, 1998, (in Japanese).
-  J. Kawamura, BME, Vol.13, No.2, pp. 2-7, 1999, (in Japanese).
-  K. Miyawaki, T. Iwami, G. Obinata, Y. Kondo, K. Kutsuzawa, Y. Ogasawara, and S. Nishimura, JSME Int. Journal Series C, Vol.43, No.4, pp. 966-974, 2000.
-  K. Miyawaki, T. Iwami, G. Obinata, K. Kutsuzawa, and S. Nishimura, Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics Vol.14, No.6, 2002.
-  M. Ohashi and Y. Ehara, “Application of Mathematical Model Methods for Gait-analysis,” Rehabilitation, Vol.26, No.11, pp. 1049-1054, 1998, (in Japanese).
-  N. Yamazaki, “Analysis Model and Simulation of the Bipedlocomotion,” Biomechanisms, Vol.3, pp. 261-269, 1975, (in Japanese).
-  A. Pedott, V. V. Krishnan, and L. Stark, “Optimization of Muscle-Force Sequencing in Human Locomotion,” MATHEMATICAL BIOSCIENCES, Vol.38, pp. 57-76, 1993.
-  H. Okada, M. Ae, M. Fujii, and Y. Morioka, “Body segment inertia properties of Japanese elderly people,” Biomechanisms, Vol.13, pp. 125-139, 1996, (in Japanese).
-  “The Clinical Gait Analysis Form of Japan,” Gait Analysis of Joint Moment, Ishiyaku Publishers Inc., 1997, (in Japanese).
-  H. P. Kunzi, H. G. Tzschach, and C. A. Zehnder, “Numerische Methoden Der Matheatischen Optimierung mit Algol-und FORTRAN-Programmen,” R. Charles Tuttle Co. Inc. Tokyo, pp. 77-83, 1969, (Japanese translation).
-  Y. Ehara, M. Beppu, and S. Nomura, “Efficiency of Walking,” Biomechanisms, Vol.9, pp. 93-104, 1989, (in Japanese).
-  Y. Ehara, M. Beppu, S. Nomura, and Y. Kunimi, “Estimation of Energy Consumption During Level Walking,” Biomechanisms, Vol.10, pp. 163-172, 1990, (in Japanese).
-  H. P. Kunzi, H. G. Tzschach, and C. A. Zehnder, “Numerische Methoden Der Matheatischen Optimierung mit Algol-und FORTRAN-Programmen,” (Japanese translation).
-  A. V. Hill, “The heat of shortening and the dynamic constants of muscle,” Proc. Roy. Soc. B, pp. 136-195, 1938.
-  T. Tokuda, “Gait of elderly people,” The Japanese Journal of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy, 20-5, pp. 347-352, 1993, (in Japanese).
-  Y. Ehara, “Dynamic model of muscle and estimate of muscle tension,” Japanese Society of Biomechanics Text, pp. 347-352, 1994, (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.