Navigation of Autonomous Mobile Cleaning Robot SuiPPi
Tatsuo Sakai, Daisuke Nishimura, Hiroyuki Uematsu,
Ryosuke Murai, Koichi Mitani, Tomoharu Nakahara,
and Yukihiko Kitano
Matsushita Electric Works, Ltd., 1048 Kadoma, Osaka 571-8686, Japan
SuiPPi is a practical robot that underwent long-term experimental evaluation at Expo 2005. SuiPPi’s mission was to clean the Expo site, for example, the Global Loop main pedestrian loop. The Global Loop is about 2.6 km long, and 21 m wide, and has many curves and slopes and obstacles such as benches and vending machines. To execute its mission, SuiPPi had to solve two problems, – (1) moving autonomously over long distances around the loop to cleaning areas, and (2) cleaning areas not necessarily rectangular. SuiPPi navigation solved these problems by recognizing and adapting to the environment. The effectiveness of SuiPPi was confirmed.
-  W. Burgard, P. Trahanias, D. Hahnel, M. Moors, D. Schulz, H. Baltzakis, and A. Argyros, “TOURBOT and WebFAIR: Web-Operated Mobile Robots for Tele-Presence in Populated Exhibitions,” Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ IROS 2002, Workshop on Robots in Exhibitions, 2002.
-  J. Pineau, M. Montemerlo, M. Pollack, N. Roy, and S. Thrun, “Towards Robotic Assistants in Nursing Homes: Challenges and Results,” Robotics and Autonomous Systems 42, pp. 271-281, 2003.
-  T. Sakai, “ ‘SuiPPi’ Outdoor Autonomous Cleaning Robot,” Text of the 30th Robotics Seminar of the Robotics Society of Japan, pp. 46-54, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sakai and M. Matsuda, “Development of the ‘HOSPI’ Autonomous Transfer Robot,” J. of Japan Robot Association, No.157, pp. 30-35, 2004 (in Japanese).
-  J. Meguro, R. Hirokawa, J. Takiguchi, and T. Hashizume, “Autonomous Mobile Surveillance Based on RTK-GPS in Urban Canyons,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 218-225, 2005.
-  K. Ohno, T. Tsubouchi, B. Shigematsu, S. Maeyama, and S. Yuta, “Outdoor Navigation of a Mobile Robot between Buildings based on DGPS and Odometry Data Fusion,” IEEE international Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2003.
-  A. Siadat, A. Kaske, S. Klausmann, M. Dufaut, and R. Husson, “An Optimized Segmentation Method for a 2D Laser-Scanner Applied to Mobile Robot Navigation,” Proc. of the 3rd IFAC Symposium on Intelligent Components and Instruments for Control Application, 1997.
-  T. Sakai, “Environmental Adaptive Navigation of SuiPPi,” Proc. of 36th International Symposium on Robotics, pp. 156-157, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.