Development of Obstacle Recognition System of Humanoids Using Relative Disparity Maps from Small Range Image Sensors
Naotaka Hikosaka, Kei Watanabe, and Kazunori Umeda
Department of Precision Mechanics, Chuo University, 1-13-27 Kasuga, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8551, Japan
We discuss the recognition of obstacles by detecting a plane using relative disparity maps obtained from a small range image sensor incorporated in a humanoid. Our proposal enables easy plane detection and obstacle recognition using relative disparity from a reference plane alone. We built an integrated controller that feeds back obstacle information to the humanoid. We confirmed through experiments that the humanoid recognized obstacles and autonomously stopped walking.
-  K. Okada, S. Kagami, M. Inaba, and H. Inoue, “Plane Segment Finder: Algorithm, Implementation and Applications,” Proc. of International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA’01), pp. 2120-2125, 2001.
-  N. Pears and B. Liang, “Ground Plane Segmentation for Mobile Robot Visual Navigation,” Proc. 2000 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and System (IROS 2001), pp. 1513-1518, 2001.
-  For example, Point Grey Research Inc.
-  T. Kanade, “Development of a Video-Rate Stereo Machine,” Proceedings of the 1994 ARPA Image Understanding Workshop (IUW’94), pp. 549-558, Nov., 1994.
-  R. Ozawa, Y. Takaoka, Y. Kida, K. Nishiwaki, J. Chestnutt, J. Kuffner, J. Kagami, H. Mizoguch, and H. Inoue, “Using Visual Odometry to Create 3D Maps for Online Footstep Planning,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics (SMC2005), Hawaii, USA, pp. 2643-2648, Oct., 2005.
-  J. A. Beraldin, F. Blais, M. Rioux, J. Domery, and L. Cournoyer, “A video rate laser range camera for electronic boards inspection,” Proc. Vision’90 Conference, pp. 4-1-4-11, 1990.
-  T. Kanade, A. Gruss, and L. R. Carley, “A VLSI sensor based range finding system,” Robotics Research Fifth International Symposium, pp. 49-56, 1990.
-  K. Nakazawa and C. Suzuki, “Development of 3-D robot vision sensor with fiver grating: Fusion of 2-D intensity image and discrete range image,” Proc. 1991 International Conference on Industrial Electronics, Control and Instrumentation (IECON’91), pp. 2368-2372, 1991.
-  T. Tsubouchi, S. Takaki, Y. Kawaguchi, and S. Yuta, “A straight pipe observation from the inside by laser spot array and a TV camera,” Proc. 2000 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and System (IROS 2000), pp. 82-87, 2000.
-  Y. Miyazaki, A. Ohya, and S. Yuta, “Obstacle Avoidance Behavior of Autonomous Mobile Robot using Fiber Grating Vision Sensor,” Proc. 2000 IEEE International, pp. 1925-1930, 2000.
-  M. Tateishi and K. Umeda, “Construction of a versatile compact range image sensor,” Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Quality Control by Artificial Vision (QCAV2005), pp. 265-270, May 2005.
-  K. Umeda, “A Compact Range Image Sensor Suitable for Robots,” Proc. 2004 Int. Conf. On Robotics and Automation, pp. 3167-3172, April 2004.
-  http://www.stockeryale.com/
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.