Modeling and Feedforward Flow Rate Control of Automatic Pouring System with Real Ladle
Yoshiyuki Noda and Kazuhiko Terashima
Department of Production Systems Engineering, Toyohashi University of Technology, 1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tempaku-cho, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8580, Japan
This paper concerns control of the pouring process of tilting-ladle-type automatic pouring systems used in the casting industry. Here, the flow rate is modeled mathematically using mass equilibrium and Bernoulli’s theorem, then a feedforward flow rate control system is constructed by using the flow rate model’s inverse dynamics. The proposed control system can improve the accuracy of the flow rate, and enables flow rate control to be designed systematically for the various types of ladles used in casting plants. In order to verify the effectiveness of the proposed control system, the system was applied to an automatic pouring system which was tested experimentally using both water and molten metal.
-  K. Terashima, “Recent Automatic Pouring and Transfer Systems in Foundries,” Materials Process Technology, Vol.39, No.6, pp. 1-8, 1998.
-  W. Lindsay, “Automatic Pouring and Metal Distribution Systems,” Foundry Trade Journal, February 10, pp. 151-176, 1983.
-  J. Thielk, “Using Electric Furnaces to Store and Pour Treated Ductile Iron Part 2,” Modan Casting/November, Vol.77, No.11, pp. 25-27, 1987.
-  E. Neumann and D. Trauzeddel, “Pouring Systems for Ferrous Applications,” Foundry Trade Journal, July, pp. 23-24, 2002.
-  T. Bex, “Melting & Pouring,” Modern Casting, August, pp. 26-34, 1992.
-  J. C. Miske, “A Look at Automatic Metal Pouring,” Foundry M & T, February, pp. 26-43, 1979.
-  J. Watanabe and K. Yoshida, “Automatic Pouring Equipment for Casting “Mel Pore System”,” Industrial Heating, Vol.29, No.4, pp. 19-27, 1992 (in Japanese).
-  S. Kurono, Y. Fujino, S. Aramaki, and T. Kurono, “Automatic Pouring System in a Small-Scale Foundry,” OHM, Vol.83, No.6, pp. 97-102, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  M. Matsuda and S. Koroyasu, “Approach for Increase in Flow Rate at Start of Pouring from Auto Pouring Equipment by 2-stage Up-Down Mechanism of Tilting-Center,” Journal of Japan Foundry Engineering Society, Vol.71, No.7, pp. 443-448, 1999.
-  M. Fujie, “Application of Microcomputer to Automatic Pouring,” Journal of the Japan General Foundry Center, Vol.22, No.10, pp. 7-11, 1981.
-  Y. Sugimoto, K. Yano, and K. Terashima, “Liquid Level Control of Automatic Pouring Robot by Two-Degrees-of-Freedom Control,” Proceedings of the 15th IFAC World Congress, 2002.
-  K. Shinohara and H. Morimoto, “Development of Automatic Pouring Equipment,” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Vol.46, No.11, pp. 79-85, 1992.
-  K. Yano, Y. Sugimoto, Y. Noda, and K. Terashima, “Pouring Flow Rate Control of Cylindrical Ladle-Type Automatic Pouring Robot by Applying Betterment Process,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.70, No.694, pp. 1750-1757, 2004.
-  Y. Noda, K. Yano, and K. Terashima, “Pouring and Sloshing Suppression Control of Cylindrical Ladle in Self-Transfer-Type Automatic Pouring Robot with Complex Motion of Pouring and Transfer,” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.24, No.1, pp. 94-103, 2006.
-  Y. Noda and K. Terashima, “Nonlinear Modeling with Hydrodynamics and Flow Control Using Inverse Pouring Dynamics of Tilting-Ladle-Type Automatic Pouring Process,” Proceedings of the 67th World Foundry Congress, pp. 207/1-10, 2006.
-  Y. Noda, K. Yano, and K. Terashima, “Control of Self-Transfer-Type Automatic Pouring Robot with Cylindrical Ladle,” Preprints of the 16th IFAC World Congress, 2005.
-  Y. Matsuo, Y. Noda, K. Terashima, K. Hashimoto, and Y. Suzuki, “Modeling and Identification of Pouring Flow Process with Tilting-Type Ladle for an Innovative Press Casting Method Using Green-Sand-Mold,” Proceedings of 67th World Foundry Congress, pp. 210/1-10, 2006.
Copyright© 2007 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.