An Object Detection Method Based on Independent Local Features
Ryouta Nakano, Kazuhiro Hotta, and Haruhisa Takahashi
The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu-shi, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
-  E. Hjelmas and B. K. Low, “Face detection: A survey,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.83, pp. 236-274, 2001.
-  M.-H. Yang, D. Kriegman, and N. Ahuja, “Detection faces in images: A survey,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.24, pp. 34-58, 2002.
-  A. J. Bell and T. J. Sejnowski, “An information maximization approach to blind separation and blind deconvolution,” Nearal Computation, Vol.7, pp. 1129-1159, 1995.
-  M. J. McKeown, S. Makeig, T. Jung, A. J. Bell, and T. J. Sejnowski, “Analysis of fMRI data by blind separation into spatial independent components,” Human Brain Mapping, Vol.6, pp. 160-188, 1998.
-  N. Otsu and T. Kurita, “A new scheme for practical flexible and intelligent vision systems,” Proc. IAPR Workshop on Computer Vision, pp. 431-435, 1988.
-  E. Osuna, R. Freund, and F. Girosi, “Training support vector machines: An application to face detection,” Proc.IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp.130-136, 1997.
-  MIT CBCL DataBase,
-  C. Papageorgiou and T. Poggio, “A Trainable Object Detection System: Car Detection in Static Images,” MIT AI Memo, No.180, p. 1673, 1999.
-  R. Kohavi, “A Study of Cross-Validation and Bootstrap for Accuracy Estimation and Model Selection,” International Joint Conference on Artifical Intelligence, pp. 1137-1143, 1995.
-  The FastICA package for MATLAB,
-  A. J. Bell and T. J. Sejnowski, “The independent components of natural scenes are edge filters,” Vision Research, Vol.37, pp. 3327-3338, 1997.
-  Y. Freund and R. E. Schapire, “A decision-theoretic generalization of on-line learning and an application to boosting,” Computational Learning Theory: Second European Conference, pp. 23-27, 1995.
-  P. Viola and M. J. Jones, “Robust Real-Time Face Detection,” International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol.57, No.2, pp. 137-154, 2004.
-  K. Hotta, “A Robust Face Detector under Partial Occlusion,” Proc. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 597-600, 2004.
-  B. Heisele, T. Serre, M. Pontil, and T. Poggio, “Component-based Face Detection,” IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 657-662, 2001.
-  K. Sung and T. Poggio, “Example-based learning for view-based human face detection,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vo.20, No.1, pp. 39-51, 1998.
-  M. Yang, D. Roth, and N. Ahuja, “A SNoW-Based Face Detector,” Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 855-861, 2000.
-  H. Rowley, S. Baluja, and T. Kanade, “Neural Network-Based Face Detection,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 23-38, 1998.
-  M. S. Bartlett, J. R. Movellan, and T. J. Sejnowski, “Face Recognition by Independent Component Analysis,” IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks, Vol.13, No.6, pp. 1450-1464, 2002.
-  K. Seo, I. Cohen, S. You, and U. Neumann, “Face Pose estimation system by combining hybrid ICA-SVM learning and reregistration,” Asian Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 27-30, 2004.
-  T. Kurita and S. Hayamizu, “Gesture Recognition using HLAC features of PARCOR images,” IEICE Trans. Information and Systems, Vol.E86-D, No.4, pp. 719-726, 2003.
-  K. Hotta, T. Mishima, and T. Kurita, “Scale invariant face detection and classification method using shift invariant features extracted from Log-Polar images,” IEICE Trans. Information and Systems, Vol.E84-D, No.7, pp. 867-878, 2001.
-  R. Nakano, K. Hotta, and H. Takahashi, “Object Detection Using Independent Local Feature Extractor,” Proc. SPIE (SPIE International Symposium on Optomechatronic Technologies), Vol.6051, pp. 605106-1 – 605106-8, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.