Development of DMD Reflection-Type CCD Camera for Phase Analysis and Shape Measurement
Shien Ri*, Yasuhiro Matsunaga**, Motoharu Fujigaki***,
Toru Matui***, and Yoshiharu Morimoto***
*Research Fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Graduate School of Systems Engineering, Wakayama University, 930 Sakaedani, Wakayama 640-8510, Japan
**Graduate School of Systems Engineering, Wakayama University, 930 Sakaedani, Wakayama 640-8510, Japan
***Department of Opto-Mechatronics, Faculty of Systems Engineering, Wakayama University, 930 Sakaedani, Wakayama 640-8510, Japan
Phase-shifting method effectively attains high resolution and high accuracy in analyzing phase information on a projected grating. It is difficult to apply dynamically, however, because it usually requires several images. We developed a camera based on digital micromirror device (DMD) technology for high-speed phase analysis and shape measurement, called a DMD reflection-type CCD camera or DMD camera. Implementing DMD technology enables accurate control of intensity reaching the imaging detector of a camera. Moiré is used to adjust pixel-to-pixel correspondence highly accuracy. We introduce a controllable high-speed DMD operation board to control DMD mirrors at high-speed, so each DMD mirror operates as a controllable high-speed shutter for the corresponding CCD pixel. In experiments with an application, we conducted DMD integrated phase-shifting method using correlation to analyze phase distributions of projected gratings from images recorded by the DMD camera. We then discuss principles and experimental results under dynamic conditions. This paper is a revised version of one presented at the SPIE International Symposium on Optomechatronic Technologies (ISOT 2005), December 4-7, 2005 at the Sapporo Convention Center, Japan. That paper appears in SPIE Proceedings Vol.6049, 60490I.
Toru Matui, and Yoshiharu Morimoto, “Development of DMD Reflection-Type CCD Camera for Phase Analysis and Shape Measurement,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.6, pp. 728-737, 2006.
-  F. Chen, G. M. Brown, and M. Song, “Overview of threedimensional shape measurment using optical methods,” Opt. Eng., 39(1), pp. 10-22, 2000.
-  V. Srinivasan, C. Liu, and M. Halioua, “Automated phase-measuring profilometry of 3-D diffuse objects,” Appl. Opt. 23(18), pp. 3105-3108, 1984.
-  S. Kakunai, T. Sakamoto, and K. Iwata, “Profile Measurement Taken with Liquid-crystal Gratings,” Appl. Opt. 38(13), pp. 2824-2828, 1999.
-  M. Fujigaki, Y. Morimoto, and W. G. Kim, “Development of Realtime Display System for Contour Line and Equal-displacement Line by Phase Shifting Scanning Moiré Method,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, 66(8), pp. 1221-1225, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Morimoto, M. Fujigaki, and H. Toda, “Real-time Shape Measurement by Integrated Phase-Shifting Method,” Proc. SPIE 3744, pp. 118-125, 1999.
-  Y. Morimoto and M. Fujigaki, “Japan Patent, Means and Equipment of real-time shape measurement using DMD,” No.3507865, 2001.
-  M. Fujigaki, Y. Morimoto, and Q. Gao, “Shape and Displacement Measurement by Phase-shifting Scanning Moiré Method Using Digital Micro-mirror Device,” ICEM2001, Proc. SPIE 4537, pp. 362-365, 2001.
-  M. Fujigaki, Q. Gao, and Y. Morimoto, “High-speed phase-shifting method for shape measurement using digital micro-mirror device,” ATEM’03, JSME-MIMD, OS01W0414 (CD-ROM), Sep. 10-12, 2003.
-  Q. Gao, M. Fujigaki, and Y. Morimoto, “Application of Digital Micro-Mirror Device to Deformation Measurement,” Key Engineering Materials, 243-244, pp. 189-194, 2003.
-  L. J. Hornbeck, “Deformable-mirror Spatial Light Modulators,” SPIE Critical Reviews Series, 1150, pp. 86-102, 1989.
-  J. B. Sampsell, “An Overview of the Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) and its Application to Projection Displays,” Society for Information Display International Symposium Digest of Technical Paper, 24, pp. 1012-1015, 1993.
-  L. J. Hornbeck, “Digital Light Processing for High-Brightness, High-Resolution Applications,” Proc. SPIE 3013, pp. 27-40, 1997.
-  J. M. Florence and L. A. Yoder, “Display System Architectures for Digital Micromirror Device (DMDTM) Based Projectors,” Proc. SPIE 2650, pp. 193-208, 1996.
-  M. R. Douglass and D. M. Kozuch, “DMD reliability assessment for large-area displays,” in Society for Information Display International Symposium Digest of Technical Papers, 26, pp. 49-52, 1995.
-  K. J. Kearney and Z. Ninkov, “Characterization of a digital micromirror device for use as an optical mask in imaging and spectroscopy,” Proc. SPIE 3292, pp. 81-92, 1998.
-  C. E. MacAulay and A. L. P. Dlugan, “Use of digital micromirror devices in quantitative microscopy,” Proc. SPIE 3260, pp. 201-206, 1998.
-  L. P. Dlugan, C. E. MacAulay, and P. M. Lane, “Improvements to quantitative microscopy through the use of digital micromirror devices,” Proc. SPIE 3921, pp. 6-11, 2000.
-  R. S. Nesbitt, S. L. Smith, R. A. Molnar, and S. A. Benton, “Holographic recording using a digital micromirror device,” Proc. SPIE 3637, pp. 12-20, 1999.
-  L. A. Yoder, W. M. Duncan, E. M. Koontz, J. So, T. A. Bartlett, B. L. Lee, B. D. Sawyers, D. Powell, and P. Rancuret, “DLP technolgy: applications in optical networking,” Proc. SPIE 4457, pp. 54-61, 2001.
-  S. K. Nayar, V. Branzoi, and T. E. Boult, “Programmable Imaging using a Digital Micromirror Array,” in Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 436-443, 2004.
-  J. Hu, M. Song, Y. Sun, and Y. Li, “Measurement of modulation transfer function of charge-coupled devices using frequency variable sine grating patterns,” Opt. Eng. 38(7), pp. 1200-1204, 1999.
-  S. Ri, M. Fujigaki, T. Matui, and Y. Morimoto, “Pixel-to-pixel correspondence adjustment in DMD camera by moiré methodology,” Experimental Mechanics, 46(1), pp. 67-75, 2006.
-  ViALUX GmbH, ALP Product Sheet, Chemnitz, 2003.
-  W. Osten, T. Haist, and K. Korner, “Active Approaches in Optical Metrology,” Proc. of Intl. Conf. On Laser Applications and Optical Metrology, pp. 9-19, 2003.
-  M. Fujigaki, Y. Morimoto, and S. Ri, “Improvement of accuracy of shape measurement using DMD Reflection-type CCD camera,” Proc. SPIE 5852, pp. 552-558, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.