Actuators Based on Photomechanical Polymer
LaQuieta Huey*, Sergey S. Sarkisov**, Michael J. Curley*,
and Grigory Adamovsky***
*Department of Physics, Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University, Normal, Alabama 35762, USA
**SSS Optical Technologies, LLC, Huntsville, Alabama 35816, USA
***NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44135, USA
-  J. Dakin and B. Culshaw, “Optical Fiber Sensors. Volume 4: Applications, Analysis, and Future Trends,” pp. 409-435, Artech House, Inc., Boston, MA, 1997.
-  P. De Dobbelaere, K. Falta, and S. Gloeckner, “Advances in integrated 2-D MEMS-based solutions for optical network applications,” IEEE Communications Magazine 41, S16-S23, 2003.
-  S. Inaba, H. Kumazaki, and K. Hane, “Photothermal vibration of fiber core for vibration-type sensor,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34, pp. 2018-2021, 1995.
-  M. G. Kuzyk, D. W. Garvey, S. R. Vigil, and D. J. Welker, “Alloptical devices in polymer optical fiber,” Chemical Physics 245, pp. 533-544, 1999.
-  Y. Otani, Y. Matsuba, and T. Yoshizawa, “Photothermal actuator composed of optical fibers,” in Optomechatronic Systems II, Hyung Suck Cho (Ed.), Proceedings of SPIE, Vol.4564, pp. 216-219, 2001.
-  H. Finkelman, E. Nishikawa, G. G. Pereira, and M. Warner, “A new opto-mechanical effect in solids,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 015501-1-4, 2001.
-  P. Poosanaas, K. Tonooka, and K. Uchino, “Photostrictive actuators,” Mechatronics 10, pp. 467-487, 2000.
-  P. Krecmer, A. M. Moulin, R. J. Stephenson, T. Rayment, M. E. Welland, and S. R. Elliott, “Reversible nanocontraction and dilation in a solid induced by polarized light,” Science 277, pp. 1799-1802, 1997.
-  Y. Yu, M. Nakano, and T. Ikeda, “Photomechanics: Directed bending of a polymer film by light,” Nature, Vol.425, p. 145, 2003.
-  S. S. Sarkisov, M. J. Curley, L. Huey, A. B. Fields, S. S. Sarkisov II, and G. Adamovsky, “Light-driven actuators based on polymer films,” Optical Engineering 45, 2003.
-  S. S. Sarkisov, M. J. Curley, A. Fields, S. S. Sarkisov II, and G. Adamovsky, “Photomechanical effect in films of polyvinylidene fluoride,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, No.14, pp. 2747-2749, 2004.
-  S. Timoshenko, “Vibration problems in engineering,” Wiley, New York, NY, 1974.
-  S. S. Sarkisov, M. J. Curley, G. Adamovsky, S. S. Sarkisov, Jr., and A. Fields, U.S. Patent No. 6999221, February 14, 2006, Bimorphic Polymeric Photomechanical Actuator.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.