Impedance Control of Free-Flying Space Robot for Orbital Servicing
Hiroki Nakanishi and Kazuya Yoshida
Department of Aerospace Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aramaki Aza Aoba, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8579, Japan
One of the most important phases of orbital servicing by a space robot is capturing a target satellite. In this phase, there is the risk that contact will push the target and robot away from each other. Controlling the impedance of the manipulator effectively prevents this. For a free-flying space robot, however, conventional methods used for fixed base robots cannot be used because the motion of the base interferes with the manipulator motion. An impedance control method for a space manipulator arm is proposed, where the end tip of the manipulator is controlled as if a mass-damper-spring system fixed in inertial space. Possible applications in orbital servicing are also discussed.
-  T. Kasai, M. Oda, and T. Suzuki, “Results of the ETS-7 Mission – Rendezvous Docking and Space Robotics Experiments,” Proc. 5th Int. Symp. on AI, Robotics and Automation in Space, iSAIRAS’99, pp. 299-306, 1999.
-  K. Yoshida, H. Nakanishi, H. Ueno, N. Inaba, T. Nishimaki, and M. Oda, “Dynamics, Control, and Impedance Matching for Robotic Capture of a Non-cooperative Satellite,” RSJ Advanced Robotics, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 175-198, 2004.
-  H. Hirabayashi, K. Sugimoto, A. Enomoto, and I. Ishimaru, “Robot Manipulation Using Virtual Compliance Control,” Journal of Robotics and Mechatronics, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 567-576, 2000.
-  N. Hogan, “Impedance Control: An approach to manipulation: Part 1-3,” ASME, Journal of DSMC, pp. 1-7, 1985.
-  M. J. Sidi, “Spacecraft Dynamics and Control A Practical Engineering Approach,” Cambridge Aerospace Series 7, Cambridge University Press, 1997.
-  S. Ali, A. Moosavian, R. Rastegari, and E. Papadopoulos, “Multiple Impedance Control for Space Free-Flying Robots,” AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol.28, No.5, pp. 939-947, 2005.
-  Y. Umetani and K. Yoshida, “Resolved Motion Rate Control of Space Manipulators with Generalized Jacobian Matrix,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, 5, 3, pp. 303-314, 1989.
-  Y. Masutani, F. Miyazaki, and S. Arimoto, “Sensory Feedback for Space Manipulators,” Proc. of 1989 IEEE Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1346-1351, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, 1989.
-  K. Yoshida and S. Abiko, “Inertia Parameter Identification for a Free-Flying Space Robot,” Proc. of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, AIAA 2002-4568, Monterey, California, August, 2002.
-  H. Nakanishi, K. Yoshida, N. Inaba, H. Ueno, and M. Oda, “Capture of a Non-Cooperative Satellite by a Robot Manipulator Under the Impedance Control,” Proc. of 24th International Symposium on Space Technology and Science, Miyazaki, Japan, ISTS2004-o-2-07v, 2004.
-  P. K. Nguyen and P. C. Hughes, “Teleoperation: From the Space Shuttle to the Space Station,” AIAA Progress in Aeronautics & Astronautics, Vol.161, pp. 353-409.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.