Loose Guide for Passive Omnidirectional Mobility Aid
Naemeh Nejatbakhsh*,** and Kazuhiro Kosuge**
*Sonic/Automation Discipline, Schlumberger K. K., 2-2-1 Fuchinobe, Sagamihara 229-0006, Japan
**Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Graduate School of Engineering, Tohoku University, 6-6-01 Aobayama, Sendai 980-8579, Japan
-  Japan Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Statistics Bureau,
-  R. C. Coile, and B. E. Trusko, “Healthcare 2020: Challenge for the Millennium,” Health Management Technology, pp. 34-38, August, 1999.
-  O. Chuy, Y. Hirata, and K. Kosuge, “Control of Walking Support System Based on Variable Center of Rotation,” Proceeding of IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2289-2294, 2004.
-  H. Yu, M. Spenko, and S. Dubowsky, “An Adaptive Shared Control System – for an Intelligent Mobility Aid for the Elderly,” Autonomous Robots 5, Vol.15, pp. 53-66, 2003.
-  B. Graf, “Reactive Navigation of an Intelligent Robot Walking Aid,” Proceeding of ROMAN2001, pp. 353-358, 2001.
-  S. MacNamara, and G. Lacey, “A Smart Walker for the Frail Visually Impaired,” Proceeding of the 2000 IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, pp. 1354-1359, 2000.
-  G. Wasson, P. Sheth, M. Alwan, K. Granata, A. Ledoux, and C. Huang, “User Intent in a Shared Control Framework for Pedestrain Mobility Aids,” Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ Intl. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Las Vegas, Nevada, pp. 2962-2967, 2003.
-  G. Wasson, J. Gunderson, S. Graves, and R. Felder, “An Assistive Robotic Agent for Pedestrian Mobility,” International Conference on Autonomous Agent 2001, pp. 169-173, 2001.
-  Y. Hirata, A. Hara, and K. Kosuge, “Passive-type Intelligent Walking Support System “RT Walker”,” Proceeding of 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3871-3876, 2004.
-  Lord Corporation,
-  P. F. Muir, and C. P. Neuman, “Kinematic Modeling of Wheeled Mobile Robots,” Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol.4, No.2, 1987.
-  M. King, B. Zhu, and S. Tang, “Optimal Path Planning,” Mobile Robots, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 520-531, March, 2001.
-  K. Jiang, “A Shortest Path Based Path Planning Algorithm for Nonholonomic Mobile Robots,” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 24, pp. 347-366, 1999.
-  A. Pozo-Ruz, C. Urdiales, A. Bandera, E. J. Perez, and F. Sandoval, “A Path Tracking Method for Autonomous Mobile Robots Based on Grid Decomposition,” Proc. of the 7th Symposium on Intelligent Robotic Systems (SIRS’99), pp. 465-469, Coimbra - Portugal, 1999.
-  J. S. Zelek, “Dynamic Path Planning,”
-  R. C. Arkin, “Motor Schema-Based Mobile Robot Navigation,” The Int. Journal of Robotics Research, pp. 92-112, August, 1989.
-  O. Khatib, “Real-Time Obstacle Avoidance for Manipulators and Mobile Robots,” the International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 90-98, 1986.
-  S. Quinlan, “Real-Time Modification of Collision-Free Paths,” Ph.D. Thesis Dissertation, Department of Computer Science, Stanford University, 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.