Rigidity Distribution Rendering for a Tool-Handling Type Haptic Interface
Hiroaki Yano*, Masaki Nudejima**, Masaki Tomiyoshi*,
and Hiroo Iwata*
*University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
**Fuji Xerox Printing Systems Co., Ltd., 3-7-1 Funai, Iwatsuki-ku, Saitama-shi, Saitama 339-8509, Japan
We discuss haptic rendering for the perception of rigidity distribution using a tool-handing type haptic interface and a surface type haptic interface. Since rigidity distribution data differs from cardinal number data measured with Computed Tomography (CT) or Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), we perceive rigidity only when we deform it. We developed rigidity data mapping, gradient mapping, torque mapping, viscosity mapping, and a spring model and applied them to tasks for perceiving rigidity distribution, confirming that our data mapping is effective for rigidity distribution perception.
and Hiroo Iwata, “Rigidity Distribution Rendering for a Tool-Handling Type Haptic Interface,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.4, pp. 418-425, 2006.
-  T. Galyean, and J. Hughes, “Sculpting: An interactive volumetric modeling technique,” Computer Graphics, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 267-274, July, 1991.
-  H. Iwata, and H. Noma, “Volume Haptization,” Proc. Of IEEE Symposium on Research Frontiers in Virtual Reality, pp. 16-23, 1993.
-  S. Gibson et al., “Simulating Arthroscopic Knee Surgery using Volumetric Object Representations,” RealTime Volume Rendering and Haptic Feedback, The joint Confernce on Computer Vision and Virtual Reality in Medicine and Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, 1996.
-  N. Nitta, and T. Shiina, “Estimation of nonlinear elasticity parameter of tissues by ultrasound,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 41(5B), pp. 3572-3578, 2002.
-  J. Park et al., “Evaluation of Areal Touch Feedback for Palpation Simulation,” Proc. of Visualization 2005, pp. 100-101, 2005.
-  M. Mckenna, and D. Zeltzer, “Dynamic simulation of autonomous legged locomotion,” Computer Graphics 24, 1990.
-  H. Iwata, H. Yano, F. Nakaizumi, and R. Kawamura, “Project FEELEX: Adding Haptic Surface to Graphics,” Proceedings of SIGGRAPH2001, pp. 469-475, 2001.
-  Y. Kuroda, M. Nakao, T. Kuroda, H. Oyama, and M. Komori, “Interaction model between elastic objects for haptic feedback considering collisions of soft tissue,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine (Elsevier Science), Vol.80, No.3, pp. 216-224, 2005.
-  H. Yano, K. Komine, and H. Iwata, “Development of a Highresolution Surface Type Haptic interface for Rigidity Distribution Rendering,” Proc. of Haptics2006, pp. 355-360, 2006.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.