Development of 6-Axis Material Tester for Measuring Mechanical Spine Properties
Motoyoshi Fujiwara*, Takanori Masuda*, Tadashi Inaba**,
Takaya Katoh***, Yuichi Kasai****, and Satoru Ito*****
*Metals Lab., Mie Prefectural Science and Technology Promotion Center, 208 Nishiyama, Shichi, Kuwana, Mie 514-0937, Japan
**Faculty of Engineering, Mie University
***Research Center For Creation, Mie University
****Faculty of Medicine, Mie University
*****FUSO Machine Works Ltd.
Because mechanical spine properties having multiple degrees of freedom (DOF) are generally difficult to measure, we developed a parallel 6-axis material tester with hybrid position/force control. We give examples of 6-axis testing and results of material tests using polyurethane rubber and animal spines.
Takaya Katoh, Yuichi Kasai, and Satoru Ito, “Development of 6-Axis Material Tester for Measuring Mechanical Spine Properties,” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.18, No.2, pp. 160-166, 2006.
-  R. Cailliet, “Functionality Anatomy of The Musculoskeletal System: Illustrated,” Ishiyaku Publishers, Inc., pp. 29-68, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  T. Katoh, Y. Kasai, T. Inaba, and M. Tokuda, “A Simple Measuring Instrument of Intraoperative Lumbar Spinal Instability,” Proceedings of the First Asian Pacific Conference on Biomechanics, pp. 195-196, 2004.
-  MTS SYSTEMS CORPORATION, “solutions,” Vol.2, No.3, pp. 1-2, 1998.
-  T. Doehring, “Simulation and Control of a Robotic/UFS Testing System with Application to Lumbar Spine Biomechanics,” ASME BED, Vol.51, pp. 163-164, 2001.
-  K. Gillespie, and J. Dickey, “Biomechanical Role of Lumbar Spine Ligaments in Flexion and Extension: Determination Using a Parallel Linkage Robot and a Porcine Model,” Spine, Vol.29, pp. 1208-1216, 2004.
-  I. Stokes, M. Gardner-Morse, D. Churchill, and J. Laible, “Measurement of a spinal motion segment stiffness matrix,” Journal of Biomechanics, Vol.35, pp. 517-521, 2002.
-  M. Panjabi, and A. White, “A note on defining body parts configurations,” J. Biomech., Vol.7, pp. 385-387, 1974.
-  T. Masuda, M. Fujiwara, and T. Arai, “Kinematics analysis of parallel mechanism with vertically fixed linear actuator,” JSME International Journal, Vol.44, No.1, pp. 731-739, 2001.
-  M. Fujiwara, T. Masuda, Y. Okubo, and N. Kato, “Force Control of 6 DOF Material Testing Machine,” Report of the Mie prefectural science and technology promotion center industrial research division, pp. 47-52, 2005 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2006 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.