Damping and Transfer Control of Liquid in a Cylindrical Container Using a Wheeled Mobile Robot
Masafumi Hamaguchi, and Takao Taniguchi
Department of Electronic and Control Systems Engineering, Shimane University, 1060 Nishikawatsu, Matsue, Shimane 690-8504, Japan
We constructed a spherical pendulum model to represent liquid sloshing in a cylindrical container due to the motions of a wheeled mobile robot (WMR). The model is used to design paths and acceleration patterns for the WMR based on the damping of sloshing. The path curvature radius and WMR acceleration pattern are determined using input shaping. A PD controller enables the WMR to trace the designed path. Maximum sloshing displacement is a constraint condition in control transfer. Simulations and experiments clarified the effectiveness of our method.
-  M. Hamaguchi, and K. Terashima, “Modeling and Optimal Control of Liquid Vibration in Transferring a Rectangular Container,” Proceedings of the FLUCOME, Vol.1, pp. 379-384, 1994.
-  K. Yano, T. Yoshida, M. Hamaguchi, and K. Terashima, “Liquid Container Transfer Considering the Suppression of Sloshing for the Change of Liquid Level,” Proceedings of the 13th World Congress of IFAC, Vol.B, pp. 193-198, 1996.
-  M. Hamaguchi, M. Yamamoto, and K. Terashima, “Modeling and Control of Sloshing with Swirling in a Cylindrical Container during a Curved Path Transfer,” Proceedings of the 2nd Asian Control Conference, Vol.I, pp. 233-236, 1997.
-  M. Hamaguchi, and T. Taniguchi, “Transfer Control and Curved Path Design for Cylindrical Liquid Container,” Proceedings of the 15th World Congress of IFAC, July, 2002.
-  J. T. Feddema, C. R. Dohrmann et al., “Control for Slosh-Free Motion of an Open Container,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 29-36, 1997.
-  K. Yano, T. Toda, and K. Terashima, “Sloshing Suppression Control of Automatic Pouring Robot by Hybrid Shape Approach,” Proceedings of the 40th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Vol.2, pp. 1328-1333, 2001.
-  T. Acarman, and U. Ozquner, “Rollover Prevention for Heavy Trucks Using Frequency Shaped Sliding Mode Control,” Proceedings of 2003 IEEE Conference on Control Applications, Vol.1, pp. 7-12, 2003.
-  W. Wu, H. Chen, and P. Woo, “Time Optimal Path Planning for a Wheeled Mobile Robot,” Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol.17, No.11, pp. 585-591, 2000.
-  M. L. Corradini, and G. Orlando, “Robust Tracking Control of Mobile Robots in the Presence of Uncertainties in the Dynamical Model,” Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol.18, No.6, pp. 317-323, 2001.
-  N. C. Singer, and W. P. Seering, “Preshaping Command Inputs to Reduce System Vibration,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.112, pp. 76-82, 1990.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.