Development of a Power Assist System of a Walking Chair (Proposition of the Speed-Torque Combination Power Assist System)
Yunfeng Wu, Masaru Higuchi, Yukio Takeda,
and Koichi Sugimoto
Department of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 O-okayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
In this paper, we discussed the mechanism and control strategy of the power assist systems for the walking chair and proposed a new power assist system. The composition of the leg mechanism, which generates the motion for periodic walk at horizontal plane by driving the input link at constant velocity, and driving torque of the leg mechanism of the prototype walking chair were presented. Velocity variation in user’s cranking operation was also presented. We proposed a system architecture for driving the walking chair by human’s and assisting actuator’s powers. We proposed a hybrid power assist system with two assisting actuators for reducing the effects of variations in user’s driving velocity and in driving torque of the leg of the walking chair on the output velocity of the walking chair and on user’s discomfort.
and Koichi Sugimoto, “Development of a Power Assist System of a Walking Chair (Proposition of the Speed-Torque Combination Power Assist System),” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.17, No.2, pp. 189-197, 2005.
-  H. Funabashi, Y. Takeda, I. Kawabuchi, and M. Higuchi, “Development of a walking chair with a self-attitude-adjusting mechanism for stable walking on uneven terrain,” Proc. Tenth World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Oulu, Finland, June 20-24, 1999, pp. 1164-1169.
-  Y. Takeda, M. Higuchi, H. Funabashi, Y. Oki, and K. Shimizu, “Development of a walking chair (Fundamental investigations for realizing a practical walking chair),” Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Climbing and Walking Robots (CLAWAR2001), Karlsruhe, Germany, September 24-26, 2001, pp. 1037-1044.
-  Y. Sugahara, M. Kawase, Y. Mikuriya, T. Hosobata, H. Sunazuka, K. Hashimoto, H. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Support torque reduction mechanism for biped locomotor with parallel mechanism,” Proceedings of 2004 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3123-3218.
-  http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/special/robot/index.html ,
March 11th, 2004.
-  “Assist bicycle,” Nikkei mechanical, November 29, 1993, pp. 90-93.
-  H.-K. Lee, T. Takubo, H. Arai, and K. Tanie, “Control of Mobile Manipulators for Power Assist Systems,” Proc. 1999 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC’99), IV, 1999, pp. 989-994.
-  H. Arai, T. Takubo, Y. Hayashibara, and K. Tanie, “Human-Robot Cooperative Manipulation Using a Virtual Nonholonomic Constraint,” Proceedings – IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, v4, 2000, pp. 4063-4069.
-  Y. Hayashibara, K. Tanie, H. Arai, and H. Tokashiki, “Development of Power Assist System with Individual Compensation Ratios for Gravity and Dynamic Load,” Proc. 1997 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS’97), 1997, pp. 640-646.
-  H. Kazarooni, “Human Extender,” Trans. of ASME, J. Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol.115, pp. 281-290, 1993.
-  K. Kosuge, Y. Fujisawa, and T. Fukuda, “Control of man-machine system based on virtual tool dynamics,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.60, No.572, pp. 1337-1343, 1994 (in Japanese).
-  M. Higuchi, Y. Takeda, H. Funabashi, T. Yamada, and T. Matsumoto, “Development of a power assisting system of a walking chair,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.69, No.683, pp. 1885-1891, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Higuchi, Y. Wu, and Y. Takeda, “Study of a power assisting system of a walking chair (Comparison of types of mechanisms for power combination),” The 3rd JSME Symposium on Welfare Engineering, No.03-28, pp. 165-168, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  D. Surdilovic, R. Berdnhardt, and L. Zhang, “New intelligent power assist systems based on differential transmission,” Robotica, Vol.21, pp. 295-302, 2003.
-  L. W. Tsai, G. Schhultz, and N. Higuchi, “A Novel Parallel Hybrid Transmission,” Transaction of the ASME: Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol.123, pp. 161-168, June 2001.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.