Field Monitoring Using Sensor-Nodes with a Web Server
Tokihiro Fukatsu, and Masayuki Hirafuji
National Agricultural Research Center, 3-1-1 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8666, Japan
In order to realize field and environment monitoring over long periods, we propose remote monitoring that responds flexibly and dynamically to change. Field Servers are one of the small monitoring sensor-nodes having a Web server accessed via the Internet and using a wireless LAN to provide a high-speed transmission network differing from traditional sensor-nodes. Monitoring with Field Servers enables easy installation, monitoring field information, and remote operation in any field. By providing a Web server for all modules, we can treat them collectively via the Internet. To evaluate this monitoring, we managed numerous Field Servers in different countries using an agent program. Field experiments show the system is safe and effective for remote monitoring applications.
-  J. M. Kahn, R. H. Katz, and K. S. J. Pister, “Next Century Challenges: Mobile Networking for “Smart Dust”,” ACM/IEEE Intl. Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom 99), pp. 271-278, 1999.
-  K. A. Delin, and S. P. Jackson, “Sensor Web for In Situ Exploration of Gaseous Biosignatures,” In Proc. IEEE Aerospace Conference, Vol.7, pp. 465-472, 2000.
-  S. D. Servetto, and G. Barrenechea, “Constrained Random Walks on Random Graphs: Routing Algorithms for Large Scale Wireless Sensor Networks,” WSNA, pp. 12-21, 2002.
-  F. Ye, H. Luo, J. Cheng, S. Lu, and L. Zhang, “A Two-Tier Data Dissemination Model for Large-scale Wireless Sensor Networks,” MOBICOM’02, pp. 148-159, 2002.
-  A. Savvides, C. C. Han, and M. B. Strivastava, “Dynamic finegrained Localization in Ad-hoc Networks of Sensors,” MOBICOM’ 01, pp. 166-179, 2001.
-  J. Elson, and K. Romer, “Wireless Sensor Networks: A New Regime for Time Synchronization,” HotNets-I, 2002.
-  D. L. Tate, and F. W. Williams, “Ethernet Options for the Ex-USS Shadwell,” NRL Letter Report 6180/393A.1, 1993.
-  A. Todoroki, Y. Takeuchi, Y. Shimamura, A. Iwasaki, and T. Sugiya, “Fracture Monitoring System of Sewer Pipe with Composite Fracture Sensors Via the Internet,” Structural Health Monitoring, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 5-17, 2004.
-  A. Iwasaki, T. Sugiya, and A. Todoroki, “Unmanned structural health monitoring via internet with unsupervised statistical diagnosis (application for damage detection of jet fan),” Proc. of the first European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, pp. 1270-1277, 2002.
-  K. Mitchell, N. Dang, P. Liu, V. S. Rao, and H. J. Pottinger, “Web-Controlled Wireless Network Sensors for Structural Health Monitoring,” Smart Structure and Materials 2001 Smart Electronics and MEMS, Proc. of SPIE, Vol.4334, pp. 234-243, 2001.
-  R. Xu, J. Chen, and C. Kwan, “A remote diagnosis tool via Internet,” Proc. of SPIE, Vol.4389, pp. 47-50, 2001.
-  A. Todoroki, Y. Shimamura, and T. Inada, “Plug & monitor system via Ethernet with distributed sensors and ccd cameras,” Structural Health Monitoring 2000, pp. 571-580, 1999.
-  R. Sameshima, “A new method for predicting flowering stage in soybean,” JARQ, Vol.25, pp.149-153, 1991.
-  T. Ohtani, K. Sugahara, K. Tanaka, M. Laurenson, T. Watanabe, and S. Umemoto, “Web based IPM system for Japanese pear diseases in Japan. III. Weather data acquisition system to estimate leaf wetness duration and scab infection severity,” The 2001 KSPP International Conference and Annual Meeting. Plant Disease Forecast: Information Technology in Plant Pathology, Program and Abstracts pp. 63, 2001.
-  T. Kida, M. Kamo, A. Sawamura, and D. Matsumoto, “Study on the Development of Dairy Facilities and a Cow Herd Monitoring System,” Agricultural Information Research, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 299-306, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  M. Hirafuji, T. Fukatsu, and H. Haoming, “Full-Wireless Field Monitoring Server for Advanced Sensor-network,” Proc. of AFITA/WCCA2004 Joint Conference, pp. 692-697, 2004.
-  M. Hirafuji, and T. Fukatsu, “Architecture of Field Monitoring Servers,” Proc. of the 3rd Asian Conference for Information Technology in Agriculture, pp. 405-409, 2002.
-  T. Kiura, T. Fukatsu, and M. Hirafuji, “Field Server Gateway: Gateway Box for Field Monitoring Servers,” Proc. of the 3rd Asian Conference for Information Technology in Agriculture, pp. 410-413, 2002.
-  T. Fukatsu, M. Hirafuji, T. Kiura, A. Imada, and S. Ninomiya, “Long-Term Monitoring System using Field Monitoring Servers,” Proc. of AFITA/WCCA2004 Joint Conference, pp. 685-691, 2004.
-  T. Fukatsu, and M. Hirafuji, “The Agent System for Field Monitoring Servers to Construct Smart Sensor-Network,” Proc. of Fifth International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence in Agriculture, pp. 1-5, 2004.
-  http://model.job.affrc.go.jp/FieldServer/index.html
-  M. R. Laurenson, T. Kiura, and S. Ninomiya, “Providing Agricultural Models with Mediated Access to Heterogeneous Weather Databases,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Vol.18, No.5, pp. 617-625, 2002.
-  M. Hirafuji, “Creating Comfortable, Amazing, Exciting and Diverse Lives with CYFARS (Cyber Farmers) and Agricultural Virtual Corporation,” Proc. of the 2nd Asian Conference for Information Technology in Agriculture, pp. 424-431, 2000.
Copyright© 2005 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.