Stiffness Analysis and Experimental Validation for the 6-Dof Jaw Opening-Closing Training Parallel Robot WY-5 (Waseda Yamanashi 5)
Giuseppe Carbone*, Hideaki Takanobu**,***,
Marco Ceccarelli*, Atsuo Takanishi***,
Kayoko Ohtsuki****, Masatoshi Ohnishi****,
and Akihisa Okino*****
*LARM: Laboratory of Robotics and Mechatronics, DiMSAT – University of Cassino, Via Di Biasio 43 - 03043 Cassino (Fr), Italy
**Department of Mechanical Systems Engineering, Kogakuin University, 1-24-2 Nishi-shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 163-8677, Japan
***Humanoid Robotics Institute, Waseda University, 3-4-1 Ookubo, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
****Yamanashi University, 1110 Shimokato, Tamaho-cho, Nakakoma-gun, Yamanashi 409-3898, Japan
*****Okino Industries, Ltd., 3-11-4 Iwadokita, Komae-shi, Tokyo 201, Japan
In this paper a mouth opening and closing training robot named as WY-5 (Waseda Yamanashi version 5) is analyzed in terms of stiffness characteristics. Basic models and a formulation are proposed in order to deduce the stiffness matrix as a function of the most important stiffness parameters of the WY-5 architecture. A numerical simulation is carried out as based on the proposed formulation. Experimental tests are carried out in order to validate the proposed model that can be used for design/control purposes in order to improve the performance of WY-5.
Marco Ceccarelli, Atsuo Takanishi,
Kayoko Ohtsuki, Masatoshi Ohnishi, and
and Akihisa Okino, “Stiffness Analysis and Experimental Validation for the 6-Dof Jaw Opening-Closing Training Parallel Robot WY-5 (Waseda Yamanashi 5),” J. Robot. Mechatron., Vol.16, No.6, pp. 570-578, 2004.
-  K. Fushima, L. M. Gallo, M. Krebs, and S. Palla, “Analysis of the TMJ Intraarticular Space Variation: a Non-Invasive Insight During Mastication,” Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol.25, No.3, pp. 181-190, 2003.
-  M. Ögütcen-Toller, N. Takaya-Yllmaz, and F. Yllmaz, “The Evaluation of Temporomandibular Joint Disc Position in TMJ Disorders Using MRI,” Int. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Vol.31, No.6, pp. 603-607, 2002.
-  S. Masumi, Y. J. Kim, and G. T. Clark, “The Value of Maximum Jaw Motion Measurements for Distinguishing Between Common Temporomandibular Disorder Subgroups,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology & Endodontics, Vol.93, No.5, pp. 552-559, 2002.
-  F. Mongini, and M. Italiano, “TMJ Disorders and Myogenic Facial Pain: a Discriminative Analysis Using the Mcgill Pain Questionnaire,” Pain, Vol.91, pp. 323-330, 2001.
-  H. Takanobu, A. Takanishi, D. Ozawa, K. Ohtsuki, M. Ohnishi, and A. Okino, “Integrated Dental Robot System for Mouth Opening and Closing Training,” IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics & Automation ICRA2002, Washington DC, pp. 1428-1433, 2002.
-  H. Takanobu, T. Maruyama, A. Takanishi, K. Ohtsuki, and M. Ohnishi, “Universal Dental Robot-6-Dof Mouth Opening and Closing Training Robot WY-5,” 13th CISM-IFToMM Symposium on Theory and Practice of Robots and Manipulators RO.MAN.SY.13, A. Morecki, G. Bianchi, and C. Rzymkowski (Editors), Springer Verlag, Udine, pp. 275-284, 2000.
-  H. Takanobu, T. Maruyama, A. Takanishi, K. Ohtsuki, and M. Ohnishi, “Mouth Opening and Closing Training with 6-DOF Parallel Robot,” IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics & Automation ICRA 2000, San Francisco, pp. 1385-1389, 2000.
-  M. M. Svinin, S. Hosoe, M. Uchiyama, and Z. W. Luo, “On the Stiffness and Stiffness Control of Redundant Manipulators,” IEEE Int. Conference on Robotics & Automation ICRA 2002, Washington DC, pp. 2393-2399, 2002.
-  H.-O. Lim, S. A. Setiawan, and A. Takanishi, “Balance and Impedance Control for Biped Humanoid Robot Locomotion,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems IROS 2001, Maui, pp. 494-499, 2001.
-  D. Chakarov, “Optimization Synthesis of Parallel Manipulators with Desired Stiffness,” Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Vol.28, No.4, 1998.
-  X.-J. Liu, Z.-L. Jin, and F. Gao, “Optimum Design of 3-Dof Spherical Parallel Manipulators with Respect to the Conditioning and Stiffness Indices,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.35, No.9, pp. 1257-1267, 2000.
-  G. Carbone, “Stiffness Evaluation of Multibody Robotic Systems,” Ph.D. Dissertation, LARM: Laboratory of Robotics and Mechatronics, University of Cassino, Cassino, 2003.
-  J.-P. Merlet, “Les Robots Paralleles,” Hermes, Paris, 1997.
-  E. I. Rivin, “Mechanical Design of Robots,” McGraw-Hill, New York, pp. 120-204, 1988.
-  L.-W. Tsai, “Robot Analysis: the Mechanics of Serial and Parallel Manipulators,” John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999.
-  J. Duffy, “Statics and Kinematics with Applications to Robotics,” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 153-169, 1996.
-  C. Gosselin, “Stiffness Mapping for Parallel Manipulators,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 377-382, 1990.
-  G. Carbone, M. Ceccarelli, and M. Teolis, “A Numerical Evaluation of the Stiffness of CaHyMan (Cassino Hybrid Manipulator),” Electronic Journal of Computational Kinematics EJCK,
Vol.1, No.1, Paper No.14, 2002.
-  M. Ceccarelli, and G. Carbone, “A Stiffness Analysis for CaPaMan (Cassino Parallel Manipulator),” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.37, No.5, pp. 427-439, 2002.
-  G. Carbone, H. Takanobu, M. Ceccarelli, A. Takanishi, K. Ohtsuki, M. Ohnishi, and A. Okino, “Stiffness Analysis for the 6-Dofs Mouth Training Parallel Robot WY-5,” IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics AIM 03, Kobe, paper ID165, 2003.
-  G. Carbone, H. Takanobu, M. Ceccarelli, A. Takanishi, K. Ohtsuki, M. Ohnishi, and A. Okino, “Hyper-performances of WY-5 (Waseda Yamanashi 5) Parallel Manipulator,” 4th International Conference on Advanced Mechatronics ICAM’04, Asahikawa Hokkaido, pp. 389-394, 2004.
-  S. Bashar, B. S. El-Khasawneh, and P. Ferreira, “Computation of Stiffness and Stiffness Bounds for Parallel Link Manipulators,” Int. Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol.39, No.2, pp. 321-342, 1999.
-  G. Carbone, M. Ceccarelli, Y. Ogura, H. O. Lim, and A. Takanishi, “Numerical Simulation for an Optimum Design of a Humanoid Leg Through Stiffness Analysis,” 3rd IEEE International Conference on Humanoid Robots HUMANOIDS2003, München and Karlsruhe, paper 3bWalking03, 2003.
-  E. Ottaviano, and G. Carbone, “An Optimum Multi-Objective Design Procedure for Parallel Manipulators,” 12th International Workshop on Robotics in Alpe-Andria-Danube Region RAAD 2003, Cassino, paper 061RAAD03, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.