Genetic-Algorithm-Based Fixed-Structure Robust H∞ Loop-Shaping Control of a Pneumatic Servosystem
Somyot Kaitwanidvilai, and Manukid Parnichkun
Asian Institute of Technology, P.O. Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthanee, 12120, Thailand
The robust controller designed by conventional H∞ optimal control is complicated, high-order, and difficult to implement practically. In industrial applications, structures such as lead-lag compensators and PID are widely used because their structure is simple, tuning parameters are fewer, and they are lower-order. Their disadvantages are that control parameters are difficult to tune for good performance and they lack robustness. To solve these problems, we propose an algorithm a genetic-algorithm-based fixed-structure robust H∞ loop-shaping control for designing the robust controller. Conventional H∞ loop shaping is a sensible procedure for designing the robust controller. To obtain parameters in the proposed controller, we proposed a genetic algorithm to optimize specified-structure H∞ loop shaping problem. The infinity norm of transfer function from disturbances to states is minimized via searching and evolutionary computation. The resulting optimal parameters stabilize the system and guarantee robust performance. We applied the evolutionary robust controller to a pneumatic servosystem. To compare performance, we studied three types of controller PID with a derivative first-order filter controller, a PI controller, and an H∞ loop-shaping controller. Results of experiments demonstrate the advantages of a simple structure and robustness against parameters changing. Simulations verify the effectiveness of the proposed technique.
-  K. Zhou, and J. C. Doyle, “Essential of Robust Control,” Prentice-Hall, 1998.
-  Y.-C. Chu, K. Gloverb, and A. P. Dowlingb, “Control of combustion oscillations via H∞ loop-shaping,” µ-analysis and Integral Quadratic Constraints, Automatic, Vol.39, pp. 219-231, 2003.
-  T. Kimura, S. Hara, and T. Takamori, “H∞ control with Mirror Feedback for a Pneumatic Actuator System,” Proceeding of 35th Conference on Decision and Control, Kobe, Japan, December 1996.
-  T. Kimura, H. Fujioka, K. Tokai, and T. Takamori, “Sampled-data H∞ control for a pneumatic cylinder system,” Proceeding of 35th Conference on Decision and Control, Kobe, Japan, December 1996.
-  J. H. Park, “H-Infinity Direct Yaw Moment Control with Brakes for Robust Performance and Stability of Vehicles,” JSME International Journal, Series C, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 403-413, 2001.
-  D. C. McFarlane, and K. Glover, “A loop shaping design procedure using H∞ synthesis,” IEEE Trans. On Automatic Control AC-37 (6), pp. 759-769, 1992.
-  A. K. Paul, J. K. Mishra, and M. G. Radke, “Reduced Order Sliding Mode Control for Pneumatic Actuator,” IEEE Transection On Control Systems Technology, Vol.2, No.3, September 1994.
-  J. Song, and Y. Isnida, “A Robust control for pneumatic servo system,” Int. Journal of Engineering Science, Vol.35, No.8, pp. 711-723, 1997.
-  F. Xiang, and J. Wikander, “Block-oriented approximate feedback linearization for control of pneumatic actuator system,” Control Engineering Practice, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 31 May 2003.
-  W. Backe, and O. Ohligschlaeger, “Model of heat transfer in pneumatic chambers,” Journal of Fluid Control, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 61-78, 1989.
-  L. Ljung, “System Identification: Theory for the User,” Prentice-Hall 2nd edition, 1999.
-  R. Richardson, A. R. Plummer, and M. D. Brown, “Self-Tuning Control of a Low-Friction Pneumatic Actuator Under the Influence of Gravity,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems, Vol.9, No.2, March 2001.
-  M.-C. Shih, and S.-I. Tseng, “Identification and Position Control of a Servo Pneumatic Cylinder,” Control Engineering Practice, Elsevier Science, Vol.3, No.9, pp. 1285-1290, 1995.
-  K. Hamiti et al., “Positin Control of A Pneumatic Actuator Under the Influence of Stiction,” Control Engineering Practice, Elsevier Science, Vol.4, No.8, pp. 1079-1088, 1996.
-  M. Uebing, and N. D. Maughan, “On linear modeling of a pneumatic servo system,” Proceeding of the Fifth Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, Vol.2, pp. 363-378, Linkoping, Sweden, 1997.
-  S. Skogestad, and I. Postlethwaite, “Multivariable Feedback Control Analysis and Design,” John Wiley & Son, 1996.
-  MATLAB System Identification Toolbox, Mathworks co., Ltd.,
-  T. Virvalo, “Designing a Pneumatic Positionc Servo System,” Power International, 1989.
-  S. Ibaraki, and M. Tomizuka, “Tuning of a Hard Disk Drive Servo Controller Using H∞ Fixed-Structure Controller Optimization,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol.123, September 2001.
-  Y.-C. Chu, K. Gloverb, and A. P. Dowlingb, “Control of combustion oscillations via H∞ loop-shaping,” µ-analysis and Integral Quadratic Constraints, Automatica 39, pp. 219-231, 2003.
-  X.-D. Sun, P. G. Scotson, and G. Balfour, “A Further Application of Loop Shaping H-infinity Control to Diesel Engine Control – Driven-Idle Speed Control,” SAE Technique paper series, SAE 2002 World Congress, Detroit, Michiganm, March 4-7, 2002.
-  B. J. Lurie, and P. J. Enright, “Classical Feedback Control with MATLAB,” Marcel Dekker, Inc., pp. 94-129, 2000.
-  B.-S. Chen, and Y.-M. Cheng, “A Structure-Specified optimal Control Design for Practical Applications: A Genetic Approach,” IEEE Trans. on Control System Technology, Vol.6, No.6, November 1998.
-  B.-S. Chen, Y.-M. Cheng, and C.-H. Lee, “A Genetic Approach to Mixed H2/H∞ Optimal PID Control,” IEEE Trans. on Control Systems, pp. 51-60, 1995.
-  C. Houck, J. Joines, and M. Kay, “A Genetic Algorithm for Function Optimization: A MATLAB Implementation,” by NCSU-IE TR 95-09, 1995.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.