Book Extraction for Remote Book Browsing Robot
Tetsuo Tomizawa, Akihisa Ohya, and Shin’ichi Yuta
Intelligent Robot Laboratory, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
Our purpose is the realization of a system able to access objects at remote sites by integrating Internet technologies and robotic engineering developments such as mobile robots. Concretely, we are developing a system that uses a robot for browsing remote books via the Internet. To extract books, the robot must recognize the book’s pose-feature (position, angle, and thickness). This paper describes the sensor developed for recognizing the position of books and planning book extraction in a general library environment, and reviews experimental results.
-  E. Stroulia, and M. Strobel, “Office Waste Cleanup: An Application for Service Robots,” Proceedings of ICRA’97, pp.1863-1868, 1997.
-  J. M. Evans, “Help Mate: An autonomous mobile robot courier for hospital,” Proceedings of IROS’98, pp.1695-1700, 1998.
-  P. H. Chang, and H. Park, “Development of a Robotic Arm for Handicapped People: A Task-Oriented Design Approach,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.15 No.1, pp.83-92, 2003.
-  “Robots on the WEB,” IEEE Robotics and Automation MAGAZINE, Vol.7 No.1 and No.2, 2000.
-  S. Maeyama, S. Yuta, and A. Harada, “Remote Viewing on the Web using Multiple Mobile Robotic Avatars,” Proceedings of IROS’01, pp.637-642, 2001.
-  J. Suthakorn, S. Lee, Y. Zhou, T. Thomas, S. Choudhury, and G. S. Chirikjian, “A Robotic Libarary System for an Off-Site Shelving Facility,” Proceedings of ICRA’01, pp.3589-3594, 2001.
-  S. Suzuki, M. K. Habib, J. Iijima, and S. Yuta, “How to describe the mobile robot’s sensor-based behavior?” Robotics and Autonomous Systems Vol.7, pp.227-237, 1991.
-  S. Yuta, S. Suzuki, Y. Saito, and S. Iida, “Implementation of an Active Optical Range Sensor Using Laser Slit for In-Door Intelligent Mobile Robot,” Proceedings of IROS’91, 1991.
-  Hitachi Information and Control Systems, Inc. ,
-  Calibration toolbox for Matlab
-  S. Iida, and S. Yuta, “Control of a Vehicle Subsystem for an Autonomous Mobile Robot with Power Wheeled Steerings,” IEEE International Workshop on Intelligent Motion Control, pp.859-866, 1990.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.