Dynamic Control of Curve-Constrained Hyper-Redundant Manipulators
Shugen Ma*, and Mitsuru Watanabe**
*Department of Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Ibaraki University, 4-12-1 Nakanarusawa-Cho, Hitachi-Shi 316-8511, Japan
**NEC Tokin Corporation, 6-7-1 Kohriyama, Taihaku-Ku, Shendai-Shi 982-8510, Japan
Hyper-redundant manipulators have high number of kinematic degrees of freedom, and possess unconventional features such as the ability to enter narrow spaces while avoiding obstacles. To control these hyper-redundant manipulators accurately, manipulator dynamics should be considered. This is, however, time-comsuming and makes implementation of real-time control difficult. In this paper, we propose a dynamic control scheme for hyper-redundant manipulators, which is based on analysis in defined posture space where three parameters were used to determine the manipulator posture. Manipulator dynamics are modeled on the parameterized form with the parameter of the posture space path. The posture space path-tracking feed-forward controller is then formulated on the basis of a parameterized dynamic equation. Computer simulation, in which a hyper-redundant manipulator traces the posture space path well by using the proposed feed-forward controller, proved that the hyper-redundant manipulator tracks the workspace path accurately.
-  S. Ma, S. Hirose, and H. Yoshinada, “Development of a hyperredundant manipulator for maintenance of nuclear reactors,” Int. J. of Advanced Robotics, Vol.9, No.3, pp.281-300, 1995.
-  G. S. Chirikjian and J. W. Burdick, “An obstacle avoidance algorithm for hyper-redundant manipulators,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp.625-631, 1990.
-  G. S. Chirikjian and J. W. Burdick, “A modal approach to hyper-redundant manipulator kinematics,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.10, No.3, pp.343-354, 1994.
-  Chirikjian, G. S., J. W. Burdick, “A geometric approach to hyper-redundant manipulator obstacle avoidance,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol.114, December, pp.580-585, 1992.
-  G. S. Chirikjian and J. W. Burdick, “Kinematically optimal hyper-redundant manipulator configurations,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.11, No.6, pp.794-806, 1995.
-  G. S. Chirikjian, “Hyper-redundant manipulator dynamics: A continuum approximation,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.9, No. 3, pp.217-243, 1995.
-  S. Ma and M. Konno, “An obstacle avoidance scheme for hyper-redundant manipulators – Global motion planning in posture space,” in Proc. 1997 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.1, pp.161-167, 1997.
-  H. Mochiyama, Shape control of manipulators with hyper degrees of freedoms, Ph.D. thesis, (Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, School of Information Science), 1998.
-  C. A. Klein and C. H. Huang, “Review of the pseudoinverse for control of kinematically redundant manipulators,” IEEE Trans. on Syst., Man, Cyber., Vol.13, No.2, pp.245-250, 1983.
-  A. Liegeois, “Automatic supervisory control of the configuration and behavior of multi-body mechanisms,” IEEE Trans. on System, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.7, No.12, pp.868-871, 1977.
-  D. N. Nenchev, “Redundancy resolution through local optimization: a review,” Journal of Robotic Systems, Vol.6, No.6, pp.769-798, 1989.
-  T. Shamir and Y. Yomdin, “Repeatability of redundant manipulators: Mathematical solution of the problem,” IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, Vol.33, No.11, pp.1004-1009, 1988.
-  J. Baillieul, “Kinematic programming alternatives for redundant manipulators,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.2, 1985.
-  S. Hirose, Biologically Inspired Robots, Kogyo Chosakai Publishing Co., Ltd., Tokyo, 1987 (in Japanese); also Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1993.
-  I. N. Sneddon, Special Functions of Mathematical –Physics and Chemistry–, London: Oliver & Boyd, 1961.
-  K. Yokoshima, Study on the control of the Moray-drive type multijoint manipulators with hyper degrees, ME dissertation, (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology), 1992.
-  C. H. An, C. G. Atkeson, and J. M. Hollerbach, Model-Based Control of a Robot Manipulator, The MIT Press, 1988.
Copyright© 2004 by Fuji Technology Press Ltd. and Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers. All right reserved.