Developing a Model for Disaster Education to Improve Students’ Disaster Mitigation Literacy
Juhadi*1,, Nur Hamid*2, Edy Trihatmoko*1, Meri Herlina*3, and Elvara Norma Aroyandini*4
*1Geography Department, Faculty of Social Sciences, Universitas Negeri Semarang
Dean Building C7, Sekaran Gunungpati Campus, Semarang City, Central Java 50229, Indonesia
*2Department of Islamic Community Development, Faculty of Da’wah and Communication,
Universitas Islam Negeri Walisongo Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
*3Graduate School, Universitas Negeri Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia
*4Graduate School, Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta, Yogyakarta Special Region, Indonesia
Indonesia is a disaster-prone country but public awareness of disasters is still low. To improve community disaster literacy, schools are the most effective vehicle. Improved disaster mitigation literacy can be achieved by integrating disaster education into subjects taught in school and associating it with the local wisdom owned by the community. This research aimed to determine and learn from the local wisdom of lamban langgakh (stilt houses), develop a disaster mitigation literacy model for subjects in schools, and identify the level of disaster mitigation literacy of junior and senior high school students in the West Coast District (WCR) of Lampung Province. The study was conducted in two stages: identifying and analyzing comprehensive information about lamban langgakh and developing an indirect teaching model as a students’ disaster mitigation literacy model through the ADDIE development model. This research produced a new model to improve students’ disaster mitigation literacy by integrating it with school subjects and local wisdom owned by local communities.
-  S. Zhang, S. Xu, X. Luo, Y. Sun, Y. Yang, and B. Xu, “The Macroeconomic Effect of Disaster Shocks in MRS-DSGE Models,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.22, No.7, pp. 1009-1015, doi: 10.20965/jaciii.2018.p1009, 2018.
-  J. Spoon, D. Gerkey, R. B. Chhetri, A. Rai, and U. Basnet, “Navigating multidimensional household recoveries following the 2015 Nepal earthquakes,” World Dev., Vol.135, 105041, doi: 10.1016/j.worlddev.2020.105041, 2020.
-  Ş. Ersoy and A. Koçak, “Disasters and earthquake preparedness of children and schools in Istanbul, Turkey,” Geomatics, Nat. Hazards Risk, Vol.7, No.4, pp. 1307-1336, doi: 10.1080/19475705.2015.1060637, 2016.
-  M. R. Amri et al., “Risiko Bencana Indonesia,” Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana, 2016 (in Indonesian).
-  A. Amri, D. K. Bird, K. Ronan, K. Haynes, and B. Towers, “Disaster risk reduction education in Indonesia: Challenges and recommendations for scaling up,” Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., Vol.17, No.4, pp. 595-612, doi: 10.5194/nhess-17-595-2017, 2017.
-  N. Hamid, “Urgensi Pendidikan Kebencanaan Kepada Masyarakat,” Equilib. J. Pendidik., Vol.8, No.2, pp. 232-239, doi: 10.26618/equilibrium.v8i2.3444, 2020 (in Indonesian).
-  G. Priyowidodo and J. E. Luik, “Communicating Disaster Mitigation Literacy to Coastal Communities in Pacitan, Indonesia,” American Int. J. of Research in Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 245-248, 2014.
-  V. H. P. Alhamidi and J. E. S. Simanjuntak, “Analysis of tsunami disaster resilience in Bandar Lampung Bay Coastal Zone,” IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science, Vol.158, 012037, doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/158/1/012037, 2018.
-  A. P. Singh, T. S. Murty, B. K. Rastogi, and R. B. S. Yadav, “Earthquake Generated Tsunami in the Indian Ocean and Probable Vulnerability Assessment for the East Coast of India,” Mar. Geod., Vol.35, No.1, pp. 49-65, doi: 10.1080/01490419.2011.637849, 2012.
-  Badan Meteorologi, Klimatologi, dan Geofisika (BMKG), “Peta Isoseismal Gempabumi Barat Daya Pesisir Barat – Lampung,” 2018, https://www.bmkg.go.id/berita/?p=peta-isoseismal-gempabumi-barat-daya-pesisir-barat-lampung-03-januari-2018&lang=ID&tag=peta-isoseismal (in Indonesian) [accessed December 23, 2020]
-  A. Sakurai and T. Sato, “Promoting Education for Disaster Resilience and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.11, No.3, pp. 402-412, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2016.p0402, 2016.
-  Syafwina, “Recognizing Indigenous Knowledge for Disaster Management: Smong, Early Warning System from Simeulue Island, Aceh,” Procedia Environ. Sci., Vol.20, pp. 573-582, doi: 10.1016/j.proenv.2014.03.070, 2014.
-  C. Anam, E. Banowati, and J. Juhadi, “Local Wisdom of Kandri People in Conserving Water Resources Gunungpati Semarang,” J. Educ. Soc. Stud., Vol.7, No.2, pp. 154-160, 2018.
-  R. Muttarak and W. Pothisiri, “The Role of Education on Disaster Preparedness: Case Study of 2012 Indian Ocean Earthquakes on Thailand’s Andaman Coast,” Ecol. Soc., Vol.18, No.4, 51, doi: 10.5751/ES-06101-180451, 2018.
-  R. Shaw, Y. Takeuchi, Q. R. Gwee, and K. Shiwaku, “Disaster Education: An Introduction,” R. Shaw, K. Shiwaku, and Y. Takeuchi (Eds.), “Disaster Education,” pp. 1-22, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, doi: 10.1108/S2040-7262(2011)0000007007, 2011.
-  E. Suharini, D. P. Meliana, T. B. Sanjoto, and E. Kurniawan, “The Strategy of Disaster Mitigation Literacy through Problem-Based Learning (PBL) in the School Prone to Tidal Floods,” Proc. of the 1st Int. Conf. on Environment and Sustainability Issues (ICESI 2019), doi: 10.4108/eai.18-7-2019.2290156, 2019.
-  S. Fuhrmann et al., “Teaching Disaster Preparedness in Geographic Education,” J. Geog., Vol.107, No.3, pp. 112-120, doi: 10.1080/00221340802458482, 2008.
-  T. Nagata and R. Kimura, “Proposing A Multi-Hazard Approach to Disaster Management Education to Enhance Children’s “Zest for Life”: Development of Disaster Management Education Programs to Be Practiced by Teachers,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.12, No.1, pp. 17-41, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2017.p0017, 2017.
-  Y. Kawata, K. Takenouchi, and K. Yamori, “Education for Disaster Risk Reduction in Hyogo to Be Handed Down Through Generations,” J. Disaster, Res., Vol.16, No.2, pp. 244-249, 2021.
-  S. Anafiah and S. Rezkita, “Pendidikan Karakter dalam Komik Gigana (Digital Mitigasi Bencana) Gempa Bumi Karya Siti Anafiah dan Shanta Rezkita,” Trihayu J. Pendidik. Ke-SD-an, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 1043-1049, 2020 (in Indonesian).
-  A. Gampell, J. C. Gaillard, M. Parsons, and L. Le Dé, “‘Serious’ Disaster Video Games: An Innovative Approach to Teaching and Learning about Disasters and Disaster Risk Reduction,” J. Geog., Vol.119, No.5, pp. 159-170, doi: 10.1080/00221341.2020.1795225, 2020.
-  J. W. Creswell, “Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches,” 4th Edition, Sage Publication, Inc., 2013.
-  R. Huang, J. M. Spector, and J. Yang, “Educational Technology: A Primer for the 21st Century,” Springer, 2019.
-  T. Nagata and R. Kimura, “Developing a Disaster Management Education and Training Program for Children with Intellectual Disabilities to Improve “Zest for Life” in the Event of a Disaster – A Case Study on Tochigi Prefectural Imaichi Special School for the Intellectually Disable,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.15, No.1, pp. 20-41, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2020.p0020, 2020.
-  M. G. Lodico, D. T. Spaulding, and K. H. Voegtle, “Methods in Educational Research: From Theory to Practice,” Jossey-Bass, 2010.
-  L. M. Spencer Jr. and S. M. Spencer, “Competence at Work: Models For Superior Performance,” John Wiley & Sons Inc., 1993.
-  OECD, “Programme for International Student Assessment,” 2019.
-  S. Arikunto, “Prosedur Penelitian Suatu Pendekatan Praktek,” Rineka Cipta, 1996 (in Indonesian).
-  B. Nuranita, “Kajian Potensi Rumah-Rumah Adat Di Indonesia Sebagai Salah Satu Solusi Dalam Mitigasi Bencana Alam Gempa Karya Tulis Ilmiah,” Institut Teknologi Nasional, 2013 (in Indonesian).
-  D. Ary, L. C. Jacobs, A. Razavieh, and C. K. Sorensen, “Introduction to Research in Education,” 8th Edition, Wadsworth Publishing, 2009.
-  K. Ming, “10 Content-Area Literacy Strategies for Art, Mathematics, Music, and Physical Education,” Clear. House: A J. Educ. Strateg. Issues Ideas, Vol.85, No.6, pp. 213-220, doi: 10.1080/00098655.2012.691568, 2012.
-  E. Zarvianti and D. Sahida, “Designing Comics By Using Problem Based Learning (PBL) to Improve Student’s Creative Thinking Skills,” Int. J. Soc. Learn., Vol.1, No.1, pp. 75-88, doi: 10.47134/ijsl.v1i1.8, 2020.
-  I. Purwaningtyas, E. Junining, and D. Hartono, “Literacy Breakthrough Towards Indonesian Disaster Mitigation,” Proc. of the Brawijaya Int. Conf. on Multidisciplinary Sciences and Technology (BICMST 2020), pp. 159-163, 2020.
-  UNISDR, “Hyogo Framework for Action,” 2005.
-  V. A. Johnson, K. R. Ronan, D. M. Johnston, and R. Peace, “Implementing disaster preparedness education in New Zealand primary schools,” Disaster Prev. Manag., Vol.23, No.4, pp. 370-380, doi: 10.1108/DPM-09-2013-0151, 2014.
-  A. Sakurai, T. Sato, and Y. Murayama, “Impact evaluation of a school-based disaster education program in a city affected by the 2011 great East Japan earthquake and tsunami disaster,” Int. J. Disaster Risk Reduct., Vol.47, 101632, doi:10.1016/j.ijdrr.2020.101632, 2020.
-  T. Thi and R. Shaw, “School-based disaster risk reduction education in primary schools in Da Nang City, Central Vietnam,” Environ. Hazards, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 356-373, doi: 10.1080/17477891.2016.1213492, 2016.
-  Juhadi and M. Herlina, “Buku Panduan Pendidikan Literasi Mitigasi Bencana di Sekolah,” Parist Penerbit, 2019.
-  J.-S. Chou, K.-H. Yang, and T.-C. Ren, “Ex-post evaluation of preparedness education in disaster prevention, mitigation and response,” Int. J. Disaster Risk Reduct., Vol.12, pp. 188-201, doi: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2015.01.002, 2015.
-  M. K. Naseri and D. Kang, “A Primary Assessment of Society-Based Earthquake Disaster Mitigation in Kabul City, Afghanistan,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.12, No.1, pp. 158-162, doi: 10.20965/jdr.2017.p0158, 2017.
-  K. Shiwaku, “Essentials of school disaster education: Example from Kobe, Japan,” R. Shaw and R. R. Krishnamurthy (Eds.), “Disaster management: Global challenges and local solutions,” Universities Press, pp. 321-337, 2009.
-  N. Hamid, G. Roehrig, D. Liesnoor, H. Rachmah, M. A. Royyani, and M. Hanifah, “Development Model for Environment-Based Learning to Improve Junior High School Students’ Geographical Skills,” Rev. Int. Geogr. Educ., Vol.11, No.2, pp. 461-481, doi: 10.33403/rigeo.833857, 2021.
-  E. B. Johnson, “Contextual Teaching and Learning: What It Is and Why It’s Here to Stay,” Corwin Press, Inc., 2001.
-  Tuswadi and T. Hayashi, “Disaster Prevention Education in Merapi Volcano Area Primary Schools: Focusing on Students’ Perception and Teachers’ Performance,” Procedia Environmental Sciences, Vol.20, pp. 668-677, doi: 10.1016/j.proenv.2014.03.080, 2014.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.