Rural Housing Reconstruction and Sustainable Development Post Wenchuan Earthquake: A Land Unification Perspective Using Dujiangyan City as an Example
Wumair Kabilijiang*, Zhen Lan*,**,, Osamu Koide*, Yuyu Geng*, and Takaaki Kato***
*Institute for Disaster Management and Reconstruction (IDMR), Sichuan University-The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
No.122 Huanghe Middle Road Section 1, Shuangliu District, Chengdu 610065, China
**Chengdu Fire and Rescue Division of Sichuan Province, Chengdu, China
***Institute of Industrial Science (IIS), The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
This study is a retrospective evaluation of the long-term benefits of rural housing reconstruction in Dujiangyan city (DJY) after the Wenchuan earthquake from a land unification perspective based on statistical data, field investigation, literature review, and a case study. Research shows after the Wenchuan earthquake, during rural housing reconstruction, DJY optimized land development strategies through planning guidance, promoted marketized transfers of land resources, clarified the attribution of land rights through policy support to protect the interests of disaster victims, established equilibrium in the interests of the government, market, and masses, and coordinated the functions of life, production, and ecology through categorized reconstruction. Practice proves that implementation of post-earthquake housing reconstruction, guided by land unification and land-use transformation, reshapes rural form and the rural-urban relationship, thereby facilitating rural revitalization and integrated rural-urban development.
-  D. Ou, “The legal system of administrative assistance for housing reconstruction in China,” Modern Business Trade Industry, Vol.26, No.20, pp. 180-181, 2014.
-  D. Wang, “The exploration of legal institutions on post-disaster housing reconstruction: In the perspective of the post-disaster housing reconstruction of Kangxian,” J. of Xi’an University of Architecture & Technology (Social Science Edition), Vol.32, No.2, pp. 44-49, 2013.
-  J. Zhu and M. Hu, “Multi-cogoverning: the participatory development of post-disaster community reconstruction: A case study of new homes program for post great Wenchuan earthquake community reconstruction,” Open Times, Vol.10, pp. 5-25, 2011.
-  Y. Lu and Y. Zhao, “Influence of household, community and government on post-disaster house rebuilding,” J. of Southeast University (Philosophy and Social Science), Vol.20, No.1, pp. 100-106+148, 2018.
-  M. Ishikawa, “A study on community-based reconstruction from great east japan earthquake disaster – a case study of Iwanuma city in Miyagi-pref.,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 807-817, 2015.
-  S. Sun and T. Zou, “Effective public participation in the house rebuilding process in Dujiangyan Sichuan,” Urban Planning Forum, Vol.3, pp. 75-80, 2010.
-  X. Xing and S. Liu, “The analysis of key problems of the land use planning during the post-disaster reconstruction,” Western Resources, Vol.1, pp. 155-158+182, 2017.
-  Z. Shan and H. Li, “Study on planning harmony among village construction, land use and agricultural industrial development: A case study on the post-quake reconstruction planning of Xiyu village, Gexianshan town, Pengzhou city in Sichuan province,” Soils, Vol.45, No.2, pp. 1361-1365, 2013.
-  W. Kabilijiang, L. Zhen, O. Koide, and H. Ning, “Valuating the Reconstruction Planning after Wenchuan Earthquake: A Case Study of Dujiangyan Rural Area,” J. of Guangzhou University (Social Science Edition), Vol.17, No.8, pp. 29-37, 2018.
-  H. Xu, W. Zhao, and J. Zhu, “Study on rational use of land use policy in post-disaster reconstruction,” Rural Economy, Vol.11, pp. 45-48, 2008.
-  L. Li, “Comparative study on international post-disaster housing reconstruction policies: A case study of Japan, Russia and America,” The South of China Today, Vol.9, pp. 164-165, 2010.
-  L. Han, S. Zhang, and Y. Zeng, “Discussion on post-disaster housing reconstruction design: A case study of post-earthquake housing construction in Aba prefecture,” The Architect, Vol.3, pp. 89-98, 2009.
-  U Hiroi, A. Murayama, Y. Chiba et al., “A proposal of multi-scale urban disaster mitigation planning that takes regional issues into consideration,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.10, No.5, pp. 887-899, 2015.
-  M. Ubaura, J. Nieda, and M. Miyakawa, “Building reconstruction after large-scale disasters: a case study of Ishinomaki city after the great east japan earthquake,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.11, No.sp, pp. 780-788, 2016.
-  The State Council of the People’s Republic of China, “Decision of the State Council on Deepening reform and Strict Land Administration (No.28 Document of State Council in 2004),” October 21, 2004.
-  L. Cheng, Y. Zhang, and Z. Liu, “Does the confirmation of farmland rights promote the transfer of rural land in China?,” Management World, No.1, pp. 88-98, 2016.
-  W. Kabilijiang and Y. Shi, “Urban infrastructure restoration and reconstruction project management of post Wenchuan earthquake,” Sichuan University Press, 2015.
-  W. Kabilijiang, “Research on restoration and reconstruction planning policy – A case study of Wenchuan earthquake,” Sichuan University Press, 2016.
-  G. Li, M. Wang, and J. Wu, “Chengdu Model of Balancing Urban and Rural Development,” Chinese J. of Systems Science, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 67-71, 2010.
-  People’s Government of Sichuan Province, “Work Programme of the People’s Government of Sichuan Province on Post 5.12 Earthquake Rural Housing Construction,” June 27, 2008.
-  People’s Government of Dujiangyan City, “Post-disaster Reconstruction Master Planning for Dujiangyan City (2008-2020),” November, 2008.
-  People’s Government of Sichuan Province, “Suggestions on Further Speeding up Urban Housing Restoration and Reconstruction in Wenchuan Quake-hit Areas (No.10 Document of People’s Government of Sichuan Province in 2009),” March 17, 2009.
-  People’s Government of Sichuan Province, “Suggestions on Policies and Measures Supporting Post Wenchuan Earthquake Restoration and Reconstruction (No.20 Document of People’s Government of Sichuan Province in 2008),” March 4, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.