Challenge to Build the Science of Human Survival from Disaster Starting from Analysis for the 2011 Tohoku Tsunami
Shuji Seto*,**,, Fumihiko Imamura*,**, and Anawat Suppasri*,**
*International Research Institute of Disaster Science (IRIDeS), Tohoku University
468-1 Aza-Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-8572, Japan
**Core Research Cluster of Disaster Science, Tohoku University, Miyagi, Japan
The 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami caused the loss of 20,000 lives in Japan. According to the National Police Agency (2012), 90% of deaths in the Iwate, Miyagi, and Fukushima prefectures were due to drowning. On the other hand, this report also showed that the remaining 10% died from circumstances other than drowning, as suggested by the Japanese Society of Legal Medicine (2012). A new solution is needed to propose practical measures against a tsunami. In this paper, the authors suggest the science of human survival from disaster as one of the solutions and illustrate the research design implemented to build it. Constructing the science of human survival shall be important to mitigate human damages in future tsunami disasters.
-  National Police Agency, “The damage report and the police’s response in the 2011 Tohoku earthquake (As of 8th March, 2019),” 1p., 2019 (in Japanese) https://www.npa.go.jp/news/other/earthquake2011/pdf/higaijokyo.pdf [accessed March 27, 2019]
-  “Feature-4 the cause of death of casualties in the Great East Japan earthquake (11 March, 2012),” National Police Agency (Ed.), “The White Paper on Police 2012,” 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Aoki, H. Iwase, S. Kubo, and A. Ro, “The report for questionnaire survey to the dispatched doctor of the supporting business for autopsy during disaster by Japanese society of legal medicine in the Great East Japan Earthquake,” Examination of the Support for Autopsy During Disaster, pp. 39-49, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  H. Anan, “Disaster Induced Crush Syndrome and Environment Abnormal Thermoregulation,” Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi, Vol.101, Issue 7, pp. 2108-2114, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Japanese College of Cardiology, “The Handbook of Disaster Medicine for Cardiologist,” 205pp., Nihon Iji Shinposha, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  “The state of death caused by the Great East Japan Earthquake based on demographic statistics,” Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “The outline of demographic statistics (final number) in 2011,” pp. 20-23, 2012 (in Japanese) https://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/jinkou/kakutei11/dl/14_x34.pdf [accessed February 27, 2019]
-  Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, “The assumed damage (First report), tsunami height and inundated area of the huge earthquake in the Nankai trough (First report),” 10pp., 2012 (in Japanese) http://www.bousai.go.jp/jishin/nankai/taisaku_wg/pdf/shiryo.pdf [accessed February 27, 2019]
-  Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, “The assumed damage of the huge earthquake in the Nankai trough (First report),” 191pp., 2012 (in Japanese) http://www.bousai.go.jp/jishin/nankai/taisaku/pdf/20120829_higai.pdf [accessed February 27, 2019]
-  S. Koshimura, T. Oie, H. Yanagisawa, and F. Imamura, “Developing Fragility Functions for Tsunami Damage Estimation Using Numerical Model and Post-Tsunami Data from Banda Aceh, Indonesia,” Coastal Engineering J., Vol.51, Issue 3, pp. 243-273, 2009.
-  A. Suppasri, N. Hasegawa, F. Makinoshima, F. Imamura, P. Latcharote, and S. Day, “An Analysis of Fatality Ratios and the Factors That Affected Human Fatalities in the 2011 Great East Japan Tsunami,” Frontiers in Built Environment, Vol.2, Article No.32, 13pp., doi: 10.3389/fbuil.2016.00032, 2016.
-  K. Yamashita, D. Sugawara, T. Takahashi, F. Imamura, Y. Saito, Y. Imato, T. Kai, H. Uehara, T. Kato, K. Nakata, R. Saka, and A. Nishikawa, “Numerical Simulation of Large-Scale Sediment Transport Due to the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami in Rikuzentakata City,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. B2 (Coastal Engineering), Vol.71, No.2, pp. I_499-I_504, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  A. Kurisu, H. Suga, Z. Prochazka, K. Suzuki, K. Oguri, and T. Inoue, “Potential technique for improving the survival of victims of tsunamis,” PLoS ONE, Vol.13, No.5, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0197498, 2018.
-  Port and Airport Research Institute (PARI), “Large Hydro-Geo Flume (LHGF),” https://www.pari.go.jp/en/about/facilities/dkbjb.html [accessed April 11, 2019]
-  JASTI Co., Ltd., http://www.jasti.co.jp/en/index.html [accessed April 11, 2019]
-  TAKAHASHI&CO.,LTD., “The risk of head injury and HIC Score,” http://www.takahashi-co.jp/pdf/hic_value_&_risk.pdf (in Japanese) [accessed April 11, 2019]
-  Ishinomaki Future Support Association, http://ishinomaki-support.com/ [accessed April 11, 2019]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.