Evacuation Behavior of Facilities for the Elderly in the Heavy Rain of July 2018
Junko Kanai and Susumu Nakano
2-1 Minamijosanjima-cho, Tokushima 770-8506, Japan
The heavy rain disaster in July 2018 caused significant damages such as leaks and inundation above floor level at many facilities for the elderly. In the present study, we surveyed facilities for the elderly near Oda River, Okayama Prefecture, and those near Hiji River, Ehime Prefecture, to study the necessity of a facility-specific criterion to start evacuation on the basis of the characteristics of the facilities used by people who need care. The results of the survey indicated that evaluation information released by the local government might not ensure sufficient evacuation time. An example of a criterion to start evacuation based on the water level of a nearby river or the amount of dam discharge was shown as one of the ways that each facility voluntarily makes decisions on fast evacuation.
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Evacuation securing plan making situation of facilities for users requiring special consideration (March 31, 2016),” 2016, http://www.mlit.go.jp/river/bousai/main/saigai/jouhou/jieisuibou/bousai-gensai-suibou02.html (in Japanese) [accessed March 1, 2019]
-  Iwate Prefecture Dementia Elderly People Group Home Association, “Typhoon No. 10 Damage Survey 1st report (September 3, 2016),” 2016 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yoshii, “Evacuation Behavior in Flood,” The J. of Communication Studies, No.38, pp. 91-103, 2013 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kitagawa and H. Miyamoto, “A Study on Long-Term Care Insurance Facilities Suffered from the Natural Disaster and Disaster Prevention,” Japanese J. of Gerontology Society, Vol.32, No.3, pp. 328-337, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  T. Nagaie, A. Tagami, T. Inohae, and K. Hokao, “Research on evacuation support in flood disasters focusing on location characteristics of facilities for the elderly,” Research of Lowland Technology, No.20, pp.25-30, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  T. Katada and M. Kanai, “Design of Communication to Establish of Independent Evacuation Rule by Residents for Slope Disaster,” J. of Civil Engineers, Vol.1, pp. 106-121, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  S. Harada, H. Muraoka, K. Tanaka, T. Shichiri, S. Tezuka, and K. Taki, “Criteria of Evacuation Judgment in Districts to Consideration with Risk Estimation in Floodplain of Small-Mideum Rivers,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. F6 (Safety Problem), Vol.68, No.2, pp. l_18-l_23, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  J. Kanai, Y. Yuasa, S. Nakano, and K. Watanabe, “Necessity of a Time Line of Flood Disaster in Social Welfare Facility,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. F6 (Safety Problem), Vol.71, No.2, pp. I_47-I_54, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  M. Tokunaga, S. Nakano, and S. Amou, “Designation of Dangerous Areas Due to Different Flood Frequency of Occurrence and Provision of Information to the Residents,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. F6 (Safety Problem), Vol.72, No.2, pp. I_131-I_138, 2016 (in Japanese).
-  J. Kanai, “Questionnaire survey on flood measures for elderly people’s facilities in Shikoku area,” Natural Disaster Forum & 21st Century Nankai Earthquake and Disaster Prevention, Vol.12, pp. 25-30, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  J. Kanai, “Problem of refuge action at the time of flood in facilities for users requiring consideration,” Natural Disaster Forum & 21st Century Nankai Earthquake and Disaster Prevention, Vol.13, pp. 37-40, 2018 (in Japanese).
-  J. Kanai, M. Miyoshi, H. Aki, and S. Nakano, “Appropriate Decision Method of Evacuation Start in Elderly Welfare Facilities for Flood Disasters,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Ser. F6 (Safety Problem), Vol.73, No.2, pp. I_139-I_146, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, “About the damage situation by heavy rain in July, 2018 (the 49th report),” 2018 (in Japanese).
-  Okayama Local Meteorological Office, “About heavy rain caused by Typhoon No. 7 and the Baiu front from July 3 to 8, 2018 (Meteorological bulletins in Okayama Prefecture), as of July 10, 2018,” 2018 (in Japanese).
-  “Heavy rain damage situation (human building damage) in July 2018,” Fire and Disaster Management Agency, “2018 White Paper on Fire Service,” 2019 (in Japanese).
-  Okayama Prefecture, “July 2018 Heavy Rain,” Disaster Verification Committee, “July 2018 Heavy Rain Disaster Verification Report,” 2019 (in Japanese).
-  Matsuyama Local Meteorological Office, “About heavy rain by the rainy season front from July 5th to 8th, 2018 (Ehime Prefecture weather bulletin), as of July 9th, 2018,” 2018 (in Japanese).
-  Ehime Prefecture July 2018 Heavy Rainfall Disaster Response Verification Committee, “Verification report on initial response and emergency response in the July 20th Heavy Rainfall Disaster,” 2018 (in Japanese).
-  Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “A place (report) such as verification about the information provision related to the operation of Nomura dam and Kanogawa dam, Reference materials,” 2018 (in Japanese).
-  Special Survey Committee on Evacuation at Disaster, Central Disaster Management Council, “Expert Survey Report on Evacuation at the Time of Disaster – For everyone to evacuate appropriately by itself –,” Material 1, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  River Management Office, River Environment Division, Water and Disaster Management Bureau, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, “Guide to making an evacuation plan pertaining to facilities requiring users (excluding medical facilities etc.) (flood, inland water, storm surge),” 2017 (in Japanese).
-  M. Miyoshi, T. Tamura, H. Mutou, and H. Aki, “An Inundation Inside the Levee Analytical Method that Considered the Base Flow of the Drainage Canal,” J. of Japan Society of Civil Engineering, Ser. B1, (Hydraulic Engineering), Vol.72, Issue 4, pp. I_139-I_144, 2016 (in Japanese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.