Strengthening Disaster Risk Governance to Manage Disaster Risk: Output of the Global Forum on Science and Technology for Disaster Resilience 2017
Disaster Risk Reduction Research Center, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyushu University
744 Motooka, Nishi-ku, Fukuoka 819-0395, Japan
The importance of disaster risk governance was stated in the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) in 2005. However, effective measures towards strengthening disaster risk governance from the science and technology community have not been sufficiently implemented since then. In the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) in 2015, “strengthening disaster risk governance to manage disaster risk” was established as one of the four action items, and many roles for the science and technology community were stated in the SFDRR. This report introduces the discussions and outcomes regarding the role of the science and technology community in strengthening disaster risk governance at the Global Forum on Science and Technology for Disaster Resilience 2017.
-  UNISDR, “Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction 2011 (GAR2011),” p. 116, 2011.
-  IRDR, “Governance in Disaster Risk Management,” AIRDR Project Report No.3, p. 16, 2014.
-  OECD, “Recommendation of the Council on the Governance of Critical Risks,” 2014.
-  UNISDR, “Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction,” pp. 17-18, 2015.
-  UNISDR, “Science and Technology Roadmap to Support the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030,” p. 7, 2016, https://www.preventionweb.net/files/45270_unisdrscienceandtechnologyroadmap.pdf [accessed August 1, 2018]
-  “Tokyo Statement,” http://wci.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ResilienceForum2017/pdf/01_Tokyo%20Statement%202017.pdf [accessed August 1, 2018]
-  “Priority 2: Strengthening disaster risk governance to manage disaster risk,” 2017. http://wci.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ResilienceForum2017/presentations.html [accessed August 1, 2018]
-  “Prefinal detailed agenda of the Forum,” 2017, http://wci.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ResilienceForum2017/pdf/01_prefinal_agenda.pdf [accessed August 1, 2018]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.