Development of Fragility Functions of RC Buildings in Yangon City Using Push over Analysis
Chaitanya Krishna Gadagamma*,†, Aung Ko Min**, Hideomi Gokon*, Kimiro Meguro*, and Khin Than Yu***
*Insititute of Industrial Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
4-6-1 Komaba, Meguro ku, Tokyo 153-8505, Japan
**Former Graduate Student, The University of Tokyo, Japan
***Yangon Technological University, Myanmar
The recent apprehensions about active seismicity in Myanmar is a reminder of the significant hazards caused by earthquakes. Since some cities are subjected to high seismic risk, its assessment can be invaluable for disaster mitigation. This study focused on the development of fragility/damage probability functions for reinforced concrete (RC) buildings in Yangon city because seismic vulnerability assessment is being an essential component of risk evaluation. Nonlinear static pushover analysis is carried out on a group of 54 RC buildings (39 low-rises and 15 high-rises) by varying the material strengths, as well as and analysis based on capacity curves over the demand spectrum with fixed performance points representing the damage probability as a function of both spectral displacement and ground accelerations.
-  R. Iyengar, R. Chadha, K. Balaji Rao, and S. Raghukanth, “Development of probabilistic seismic hazard map of India,” Report on the National Disaster Management Authority, Government of India, India, 2010.
-  “ScienceBase Catalog Home – ScienceBase-Catalog,” https://www.sciencebase.gov/catalog/, [accessed on Oct. 23, 2017]
-  K. Lang, “Seismic Vulnerability of Existing Buildings,” Meteorological Society, Vol.12, No.12, pp. 1309–1313, 1982.
-  F. Yamazaki and O. Murao, “Fragility curves for buildings in Japan based on experience from the 1995 Kobe earthquake,” Implications of Recent Earthquakes on Seismic Risk, Vol. 2, pp. 91–102, 2000.
-  S. Matsuzaki, N. Pulido, Y. Maruyama, M. Estrada, C. Zavala, and F. Yamazaki, “Evaluation of seismic vulnerability of buildings based on damage survey data from the 2007 Pisco, Peru earthquake,” Journal of Disaster Research Vol.9, No.6, p. 1051, 2014.
-  M. Tabeshpour, A. Bakhshi, and A. Golafshani, “Vulnerability and damage analyses of existing buildings,” In 13th World conference on earthquake engineering. p.1261, 2004.
-  R. Guragain, A. Dixit, and K. Meguro, “Development of fragility functions for low strength masonry buildings in Nepal using applied element methods,” In 15th world conference of earthquake engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, 2012.
-  S. Akkar, H. Sucuolu, and A. Yakut, “Displacement-based fragility functions for low- And mid-rise ordinary concrete buildings,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 901–927, 2005.
-  L. Shibin, X. Lili, G. Maosheng, and L. Ming, “Performance-based methodology for assessing seismic vulnerability and capacity of buildings,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 157–165, Aug 2010.
-  A. J. Kappos, G. Panagopoulos, C. Panagiotopoulos, and G. Penelis, “A hybrid method for the vulnerability assessment of R/C and URM buildings,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 391–413, 2006.
-  S. A. Freeman, “Review of the Development of the Capacity Spectrum Method,” ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology, Vol.41, No.1, p. 113, 2004.
-  “Structural Software for Analysis and Design | SAP2000.” https://www.csiamerica.com/products/sap2000 [accessed Oct. 12, 2017]
-  P. FEMA, “National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program (NEHRP) Part 1: Recommended provisions for seismic regulations for new buildings and other structures, 2000 Edition (FEMA 368),” Building Seismic Safety Council for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC, 2000.
-  P. FEMA, “Commentary for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings,” FEMA-356, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC, 2000.
-  “About SDGs – About SATREPS | SATREPS (Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development).” https://www.jst.go.jp/global/english/sdgs.html [accessed Oct. 12, 2017]
-  A. Atc, “40, Seismic evaluation and retrofit of concrete buildings,” Applied Technology Council, pp. 1–334, 1996.
-  M. HAZUS, “MR4 Technical Manual,” Multihazard Loss Estimation Methodology, 2003.
-  T. Rossetto and A. Elnashai, “A new analytical procedure for the derivation of displacement-based vulnerability curves for populations of RC structures,” Engineering Structures, Vol.27, No.3, pp, 397–409, 2005.
-  I. IBC, “International building code,” International Code Council, Inc.(formerly BOCA, ICBO and SBCCI), 4051:60478–5795, 2006.
-  K. Pitilakis, H. Crowley, a. M. Kaynia, and C. Facilities, “SYNER-G : Typology Defi nition and Fragility Functions for Physical Elements at Seismic Risk,” Vol.11, p. 100.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.