Role of JPF in the Support of Disaster Victims of the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake: Challenges Faced
Kojimachi GN Yasuda Bldg. 4F, 3-6-5 Kojimachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0083, Japan
To offer aid to the victims of the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake, the Japan Platform, an intermediary support group, used the network it had built to carry out support activities coordinating between support groups and mediating support from companies to the affected areas. In addition, through subsidies to NGOs that carry out support activities on the scene, they facilitated support activities and support projects that focused on helping disaster victims in the reconstruction phase. However, there were several challenges in providing different types of support on the scene. Therefore, it is necessary to examine how best the efforts can be improved to cope with the problems that could not be addressed in the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake. Disaster victims have now begun to move into temporary housing. In a future reconstruction period, community-led reconstruction by local residents is crucial. To achieve this, Japan Platform continues to develop local NPOs and other support groups and human resources and support intermediary support groups that lead local reconstruction.
-  Japan Platform (JPF), http://www.japanplatform.org/ [accesed December 17, 2016]
-  Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, “Survey on current status and issues of intermediate support organization (2001),” https://www.npo-homepage.go.jp/toukei/2009izen-chousa/2009izen-sonota/2001nposhien-report [accessed December 17, 2016]
-  K. Nitagai and N. Yoshihara, “Earthquake and citizens 1, Solidarity economy and community revitalization,” University of Tokyo Press, p. 15, 2015.
-  M. Sakurai (Ed.), “The Great East Japan Earthquake and NPO, How did the power of volunteer emerge,” Minervashobo, p. 128, 2013.
-  Japan Platform (JPF), “List of standing committee members,” http://japanplatform.org/about/directors.html [accessed May 19, 2017]
-  Peace Boat Disaster Relief Volunteer Center (PBV), “Activity Report of the Support of Disaster Victims of Kumamoto Earthquake 2016,” http://pbv.or.jp/wpPBV/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/2016_kumamoto.pdf [accessed June 1, 2017]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.