Basic Investigation of Displacement Monitoring of Dams Following Earthquakes Based on SAR Satellite Data
Hiroyuki Sato*,†, Takashi Sasaki*, Masafumi Kondo*, Toshihide Kobori*, Aoi Onodera**, Kazuo Yoshikawa***, Daisuke Sango***, and Yasunari Morita***
*River Department, National Institute for Land and Infrastructure management (NILIM),
Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
1 Asahi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
**Narusegawa Comprehensive Development Office of Construction, Tohoku Regional Development Bureau,
Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism, Ibaraki, Japan
***GEOINT Department Satellite Business Division, PASCO CORPORATION, Tokyo, Japan
This paper presents a basic investigation of the displacement monitoring of dams following earthquakes using data obtained from an SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) satellite with the goal of quickly assessing the damage status. As an SAR satellite does not require ground-based measurement instruments, it can carry out displacement monitoring of an entire dam body surface and can acquire data without being affected by weather conditions. This means that SAR satellites can be relied upon to contribute to displacement monitoring of dams in the aftermath of earthquakes as well as during normal operations. In this paper, we conduct a basic study for the displacement monitoring of a dam following an earthquake using data from an SAR satellite, and we report the results of a basic investigation of the assessment of the damage status of a dam following the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake.
-  “Japan Institute of Country-ology and Engineering (JICE),” Government Ordinance for Structural Standard for River Administration Facilities, p. 423, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  “Measurement and management research group in Japan society on dam engineers,” Manual on displacement measurement of embankment dams using GPS, p. 130, 2014 (in Japanese).
-  K. Ouchi, “Foundation of synthetic aperture radar for remote sensing,” p. 384, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  “Department of water management and land conservation, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport,” Extraordinary inspection of the dam after the earthquake, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Yamaguchi, M. Kondo, and K. Tanaka, “Preliminary report on the Kumamoto Earthquake,” Civil Engineering J., 2016 (in Japanese).
-  H. SatoA, T. Sakaki, M. Kondo, T. Kobori, A. Onodera, Y. Ymaguchi, W. Sato, N. Mushiake, and K. Honda, “Interferometric SAR time series analysis for external deformation monitoringof five rockfill dams using ALOS/PALSAR data,” J. of JSCE, F3, Vol.73, No.1, pp. 1-14, 2017 (in Japanese).